Patrick Chan | Page 149 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Patrick was never the youngest man to win a Canadian Senior mens title. And neither is Nam. That honor goes to Charles Snelling, back in 1954. He was younger than Nam by 2 or 3 months. Patrick was 17 when he first won Nationals
Oh wow, the things one learns on GS. :) I thought I read at the time that Patrick had become the youngest. I guess someone got their info wrong?

10 National Titles?! Well, Patrick has always had big dreams and hasn't been afraid to voice them. Time will tell if that comes true. I don't particularly enjoy Nam's skating right now, but his jumps and consistency are very admirable.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Oh wow, the things one learns on GS. :) I thought I read at the time that Patrick had become the youngest. I guess someone got their info wrong?

10 National Titles?! Well, Patrick has always had big dreams and hasn't been afraid to voice them. Time will tell if that comes true. I don't particularly enjoy Nam's skating right now, but his jumps and consistency are very admirable.
10 Nations title sound nice:love: I hope both Patrick and Kevin will come back strongly next season. I was too sad to comment in the Canadian Nationals thread. Sigh...

kresslia

Medalist
I have no doubt he'll be able to get those 10 National titles too. :)

I was looking back to the year when he scored 300+ at Nationals and I just can't wait for him to be back next year.

peg

Medalist

At the time Patrick won his first title, some media wrongly said he was the youngest - and I used to think he was too. But this weekend during the men's event they were saying it was Charles Snelling and that Nam was now second-youngest, so I looked it up. It is in fact Snelling.

Patrick currently has 7 national titles, so 10 would mean he wants to come back and keep winning until 2018.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick has wanted to top Kurt's number as World Champion and Michelle Kwan's as a national champion. He can absolutely do it. As of now, he is still way ahead of Nam who will be formidable in a near future.

I've known Patrick is not the youngest Canadian champion from way back. Snelling was from a much earlier time when figure skating was a limited sport in terms of participation so some people could keep winning for years within a very limited field. He won Canadian medals ten times, six of which being Gold but didn't have much international , success, winning a Worlds Bronze once. I think Patrick's career and achievements are much more worthy of celebration, even just as of today.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
today after watched US nationals, especially, Nathan, Joshua, Adam, Ricky... I really really miss Patrick...
Saw Patrick at Canadian Nationals, he is a little fat:biggrin:

peg

Medalist
Patrick has wanted to top Kurt's number as World Champion and Michelle Kwan's as a national champion. He can absolutely do it. As of now, he is still way ahead of Nam who will be formidable in a near future.

I've known Patrick is not the youngest Canadian champion from way back. Snelling was from a much earlier time when figure skating was a limited sport in terms of participation so some people could keep winning for years within a very limited field. He won Canadian medals ten times, six of which being Gold but didn't have much international , success, winning a Worlds Bronze once. I think Patrick's career and achievements are much more worthy of celebration, even just as of today.
I completely agree. I was just correcting the incorrect info about him being the youngest national champion when he won. But in the long run, that's only one accomplishment, and like you said, the field is deeper nowadays. No one matches Patrick as a complete package IMO

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick can't start any fat loss program till after the Chinese New Year (Feb 12). There was a photo of him standing behind a table spread full of food, a typical Canadian Chinese family feast, looking happy. I wonder if he is as careful with his diet when off competition.

Practice your new quad, Patrick.

kresslia

Medalist
Honestly, if anything the men's field has gotten even weaker since Patrick took time off, with Machida retiring and all. Yuzuru remains his only competition, and Javier to a much lesser extent. I'm sure he's going to come back and dominate just as he used to.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It has taken Patrick's absence for people, even self professed "non-fans", to miss him. It has just not been the same in the world of figure skating. More disappointments, less excitement. Though Takahashi was never his equal since 2010, the supposed rivalry got people involved. Hanyu has been falling spectacular numbers of times at competitions while winning by huge margins. We need the true master back!

I watch some top skaters and go "hmmm, great skating skills." Then I watch videos of Patrick's performances and am jolted right back to how his sublime skating is in his own league, sans pareil.

peg

Medalist
Patrick's blade work is head and shoulders above anyone else. One of the flaws in the judging system is that that kind of spread isn't adequately reflected. Even if his nearest competitor were to get 8 and he got 10, that's only a two point difference - less than 2% of the total mark

firal

Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure he has to keep in shape for the upcoming SOI tour. I can't wait see him perform in person. Sounds like he is keeping tabs on the current men's performances according to here.

The final flight of the US men was so good compare to the Canadians. Not that having Patrick back would save the whole field but...

peg

Medalist
Sounds like he's training a bit less, so maybe not quite as fit as when competing. But a couple of months back to hard training should fix that. I really missed him at Cdn. nationals.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
So Patrick has discovered that people talk and do things when skaters skate in competition. How shocking! :laugh:

But trust me, Patrick, people do stop and watch you when you skate.

kresslia

Medalist
It has taken Patrick's absence for people, even self professed "non-fans", to miss him. It has just not been the same in the world of figure skating. More disappointments, less excitement. Though Takahashi was never his equal since 2010, the supposed rivalry got people involved. Hanyu has been falling spectacular numbers of times at competitions while winning by huge margins. We need the true master back!
I've noticed this too. Seems even his biggest haters miss him. He brought an excitement to the men's discipline that is just completely gone now if you ask me. Men's is my favourite discipline, and to be quite frank it's boring now. I feel like, as of right now, Javier and Yuzuru are great, and nobody else is. Even the other Japanese men are just kinda ok for me right now with Takahashi and Machida gone.

sonora

On the Ice
Patrick can't start any fat loss program till after the Chinese New Year (Feb 12). There was a photo of him standing behind a table spread full of food, a typical Canadian Chinese family feast, looking happy. I wonder if he is as careful with his diet when off competition.

Practice your new quad, Patrick.

Chinese New Year is 3 weeks away, and they already started the feast? Note that the celebration will last for about a week from the New Year's Eve...then how many feasts will be there...

I do feel Patric shows some weight gains in his video to promote Sharing Dance. Actually even at the Olympics some fans already felt that he looked "heavier" than years ago. I hope he will come back with his best conditions, physically and mentally.