Patrick Chan | Page 150 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick's blade work is head and shoulders above anyone else. One of the flaws in the judging system is that that kind of spread isn't adequately reflected. Even if his nearest competitor were to get 8 and he got 10, that's only a two point difference - less than 2% of the total mark

Since there is a ceiling for PCS, the inflation has narrowed the gap between the others and Patrick as there is no room for his to inflate along. Also, PCS is capped at 100, supposedly the approximate upper limit for TES as well. Yet with more quads and sometimes inflated GOEs, TES has gone over 100 for some, including Patrick. Thus, PCS is no more equally important as TES, especially since no way anybody would be given a perfect 100 in PCS. Yeah, Patrick's superb blade work is not sufficiently rewarded and reflected in scores. Yet he is inclining to be greater in artistry and performance in his skating as his legacy. However, we will be the lucky ones to receive such gifts from him.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Chinese New Year is 3 weeks away, and they already started the feast? Note that the celebration will last for about a week from the New Year's Eve...then how many feasts will be there...

The photo I mentioned was from a few years back, unrelated to this New Year.

I do feel Patric shows some weight gains in his video to promote Sharing Dance. Actually even at the Olympics some fans already felt that he looked "heavier" than years ago. I hope he will come back with his best conditions, physically and mentally.

I'm not concerned because, unlike a few years ago (2010), Patrick has learned about nutrition and pays a lot of attention to his diet as part of the holistic approach to his training. One of his goals is to start a holistic academy for skating. If he enjoys a little relaxed living for a while, who can blame him?

unico

Final Flight
It has taken Patrick's absence for people, even self professed "non-fans", to miss him. It has just not been the same in the world of figure skating. More disappointments, less excitement. Though Takahashi was never his equal since 2010, the supposed rivalry got people involved. Hanyu has been falling spectacular numbers of times at competitions while winning by huge margins. We need the true master back!

I watch some top skaters and go "hmmm, great skating skills." Then I watch videos of Patrick's performances and am jolted right back to how his sublime skating is in his own league, sans pareil.
The retroactive whines of "Ohhh, please come back Patrick" from people who hated him before are a bit cringe-worthy, but also hilarious. I think both Hanyu and Chan can use their disappointing Olympic performances as motivation to continue improving and to, uhm, "spicen" up (borrowing another Canadian's words) the depleted men's field right now. I think both of them are extremely rare talents and I would love to see them compete against each other and push themselves to newer heights of consistency, technical prowess, and artistry.

And much much agreed about the comparison of Chan's skating skills. In the US Nationals thread, someone said that they thought Farris (lovely skater that he is) seems to have Chan-level skating skills... So I used the excuse to go and rewatch his TEB FS from last season, and yeah. Completely no comparison at all. I almost felt a bit personally offended :laugh:

Patrick's blade work is head and shoulders above anyone else. One of the flaws in the judging system is that that kind of spread isn't adequately reflected. Even if his nearest competitor were to get 8 and he got 10, that's only a two point difference - less than 2% of the total mark
Well, in the FS that would be 4 points because of the factoring, but I understand your point. But this is where the "halo marking" of the SS component comes into play, and in some ways I'm glad it does.

Meoima

Match Penalty
And much much agreed about the comparison of Chan's skating skills. In the US Nationals thread, someone said that they thought Farris (lovely skater that he is) seems to have Chan-level skating skills... So I used the excuse to go and rewatch his TEB FS from last season, and yeah. Completely no comparison at all. I almost felt a bit personally offended :laugh
:biggrin: I love Josh but yeah that's too much. Seriously!

peg

Medalist
Well, in the FS that would be 4 points because of the factoring, but I understand your point.
Considering that both Patrick and Yuzu have scored FS scores approaching 200, 4 points is still roughly 2%. Besides, I've never seen even close to a 2 point spread on SS between Patrick and his closest competitors at a major competition, so most of the time it's considerably less. On the tech side, you can make up 2-4 points very easily.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thank you so much, m0001. What a treat!

This program is very different from all other Patrick's programs. Who choreographed it? I love the lightness in his skating. It's like he's floating just above the ice. The jumps seem so easy and effortless without preparation and the landing so light, even if there is a faulty one.

Now tell me, is that the fat Patrick?

m0001

On the Ice

This program is very different from all other Patrick's programs. Who choreographed it? I love the lightness in his skating. It's like he's floating just above the ice. The jumps seem so easy and effortless without preparation and the landing so light, even if there is a faulty one.

You're welcome SkateFiguring, and I enjoy reading your comments here.

peg

Medalist

Of course. Can't you see how obese he looks :laugh:

And he does indeed seem to float in and out of his jumps. I really don't know how he does that, because his jumps are also very powerful

Meoima

Match Penalty
Patrick is not fat, he is never. His built is robust at most. I am sure he will be very fit once he comes back to competitions.

peg

Medalist
Patrick is not fat, he is never. His built is robust at most.
Maybe compared to Yuzuru? :laugh:

Seriously, he has a bigger frame and more muscle than skaters like Yuzuru or Nam, but I would be hard-pressed to label him robust. He' has a very athletic body. And it's possible h's not in top competitive form, but many skaters put on a few pounds in the off-season and lose it as soon as they resume normal training

Meoima

Match Penalty
Seriously, he has a bigger frame and more muscle than skaters like Yuzuru or Nam, but I would be hard-pressed to label him robust. He' has a very athletic body. And it's possible h's not in top competitive form, but many skaters put on a few pounds in the off-season and lose it as soon as they resume normal training
I think robust is a good word? :biggrin: Maybe he is not as robust as Yagudin, but very fit nevertheless.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I guess to me robust is not synonymous with fit. It's more like hearty. :confused2:
English is not my native (not to mention I studied English by no standard at all) so maybe I'm wrong here. Whenever I think of a robust body I think of Yagudin. :eek::

s_parks

Record Breaker
English is not my native (not to mention I studied English by no standard at all) so maybe I'm wrong here. Whenever I think of a robust body I think of Yagudin. :eek::

Well Yagudin was very fit and, in your words, robust (nothing wrong with that imo). He didn't do to shabby if I recall. :biggrin:

peg

Medalist

Don't be embarrassed. Even native English speakers disagree on the nuances of a given word's meaning. Your English is better than any of my secondary languages. Now that you're explained it I understand what you mean :)

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Fat or not, Patrick looks happy and relaxed in this performance. :yes: And he is not wearing pants with extra long crotch like at Japan Open. :slink:

I hope that will be his state of mind in competitions as well. We will be treated with some great performances. :rub hands:

Also, I wonder if Tu Ly will continue to design his costumes. I think he was the best dressed Man in the last quad. Their contract was valid till Sochi.

Last edited: