Patrick Chan | Page 151 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Meoima

Match Penalty
Also, I wonder if Tu Ly will continue to design his costumes? I think he was the best dressed Man in the last quad. The contract was valid till Sochi.
Anyone tell me why it's exactly in the Olympic season we had so many BAD outfits :cry:
I think Patrick looked elegant but the color was too gloomy.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Anyone tell me why it's exactly in the Olympic season we had so many BAD outfits :cry:
I think Patrick looked elegant but the color was too gloomy.

Yeah, that was my least favorite. Too subdued. Love the bold Aranjuez costume befitting a World Champion. Most of his costumes are rich with details, very haute couture without being gaudy or overly ornate.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yeah, that was my least favorite. Too subdued. Love the bold Aranjuez costume befitting a World Champion. Most of his costumes are rich with details, very haute couture without being gaudy or overly ornate.
I love that Aranjuez costume, too. Red suits him.
I think his Chopin outfit is okay, just too fit it makes him too sexy lol. Should tone it down a bit.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I love that Aranjuez costume, too. Red suits him.
I think his Chopin outfit is okay, just too fit it makes him too sexy lol. Should tone it down a bit.

That is not a costume but something off the rack. I don't think he would or should pay for a costume yet for next season. The top was too tight and showed underarm perspiration and the long crotched pants cut his legs short. Tu Ly is probably praying no one thinks he designed it.

peg

Medalist
Fat or not, Patrick looks happy and relaxed in this performance. :yes: And he is not wearing pants with extra long crotch like at Japan Open. :slink:

I hope that will be his state of mind in competitions as well. We will be treated with some great performances. :rub hands:
I agree. When he's relaxed, he's beyond sublime

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I've been trying to think more about what makes Patrick's skating so special. Many skaters attempt to get footwork or spin levels by doing similar things, but NO ONE makes it look as easy and seamless as Patrick does (not even Yuzuru :slink:). Dai came the closest, but even he was awed by Patrick. Anyway, I think it's the SPEED and FLOW from one movement to another. With most skaters there are varying amounts of stopping and starting during footwork or during spin position variations. But Patrick never stops moving for one second! Also, each movement has a purpose, so Patrick doesn't need "filler." His programs are busy without looking too busy, because of that effortless speed and flow.

I love how he floats over the ice with such lightness in Mess is Mine. I love how the jumps are just part of the choreography. I think Patrick jumps better if he thinks about the jumps as just part of the choreography. Starting with the Sochi gala, there has been a new joy and freedom in Patrick's skating that I had not seen from him before. I wish he would smile more in his competitive programs because his smile is so engaging. Maybe he will be able to carry this new joy back into competition and skate better because of it. I sure hope so. When Patrick is joyful and relaxed, he skates well.

Last edited:

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
From the link above:
"I'll be smart," Chan said. "If I could go back in time, when I went out and did the two quads (Chan had a quadruple Salchow and quad toe loop in last season's program), I wish I'd played that a little slower, a little smarter, kept the second quad under wraps, instead of going out guns blazing.

"I feel like it made the men progress very quickly, which I guess isn't a bad thing either. But I think results-wise things would have been a little different.

"I definitely think I'll be smarter now."
What does Patrick mean by this? He never put a 4S in either of his programs last year. Does he mean he told people he was practicing it so they decided to put it in their programs? I don't think anyone started putting it out in competition just because they knew Patrick was practicing it. But maybe he thinks they did? :confused:

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick never put 4S in his programs though it was made known he practiced it. The writer was mixing things up. However, I remember some of his fans felt he had been too open about his training, how he acquired and improved his skills, the mental preparation, etc, IOW, "trade secrets". While some haters focused on twisting and putting his words in bad lights, I've always felt other skaters could really learn from studying his revelations. Of course, there is the general factor of his raising the bar and others closing the gap. Once a pioneer breaks a belief barrier, others quickly make the previously impossible achievements readily. These days, the young phenoms acquire skating skills and quads at a very early age, partly also because of more advanced training.

Of course, Patrick also lost some PCS advantage as I expounded earlier. He is so much better in many ways but they are not reflected in scores. Quads are the big scorers and offer huge advantage to those with multiple quads, in variety and number in their programs, if they land them.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Patrick never put 4S in his programs though it was made known he practiced it. The writer was mixing things up. However, I remember some of his fans felt he had been too open about his training, how he acquired and improved his skills, the mental preparation, etc, IOW, "trade secrets". While some haters focused on twisting and putting his words in bad lights, I've always felt other skaters could really learn from studying his revelations. Of course, there is the general factor of his raising the bar and others closing the gap. Once a pioneer breaks a belief barrier, others quickly make the previously impossible achievements readily. These days, the young phenoms acquire skating skills and quads at a very early age, partly also because of more advanced training.

Of course, Patrick also lost some PCS advantage as I expounded earlier. He is so much better in many ways but they are not reflected in scores. Quads are the big scorers and offer huge advantage to those with multiple quads, in variety and number in their programs, if they land them.
Well, that is fascinating. Because so much cannot be reflected in scores or placements, I'm really trying to manage my expectations and not worry about Patrick's future results. As I've said before, I don't love Patrick's titles. Rather, I love his skating, and that won't change whether he's first or fifth.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Well, one year later, I finally got enough courage and decided to watch Patrick's Sochi FS again. With the initial disappointment/sadness now behind me, I thought, "Wow, I'm actually glad he didn't win the OGM with THAT." Not only did it save us Chan ubers from having to defend him as a worthy Olympic Champion, but the program was just nowhere near his usual standard. Everything seemed tight and (dare I say this about Patrick?) slow. There was no sense of freedom or conviction behind his movement. It just looked to me like he was just going through the motions and wanted to get it over with. The combo spin at the end is probably the worst spinning I've ever seen from Patrick. I have deleted the program from my DVR and will never watch it again.

Of course, though, the "benefit" of this disastrous FS is that he's planning to come back to competition!!! And he's already given us another gem at 2014 JO, where he DID skate with freedom and conviction! :love: In honor of the one-year anniversary of Patrick's second OSM, I am working on a blog post about Patrick's 2013 TEB programs. The title is "Sometimes Olympic Moments Don't Happen on Olympic Ice." Patrick's Olympic moment happened at TEB instead, but at least it happened. I treasure TEB a lot more now because of what happened in Sochi.

I will share the link to my blog post here when it's done.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Watching the Canadian men today... Oh dear how much I wish Patrick to come back ASAP!!!! :cry: please Patrick we need you!!