Peacock this season | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Peacock this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't blame them for focusing on making money.

I do blame them for obtaining a monopoly on broadcast rights to a sport and then providing almost no coverage.
Another good point here.

Yeah I know the NFL is a juggernaut and I watch my bears lose almost every week like everyone else, but you don’t need 3000 streaming NFL talking head shows.

No way those are getting any major viewership.

And look at the WWE Network. Peacock is paying billions and it’s worse that the regular wwe network. Making money doesn’t mean your search feature is awful and everything is cataloged in a hard to find way.

To also be fair, the federations have a part in the blame as well for not asking more questions and demanding better service. The smart ones have their own service and cut out everyone else entirely. MotoGP’s service is fantastic for example.

FIS is handicapped because the rights belong to every individual country. The new president is trying to centralize the rights, but it’s going to be an uphill climb.

Last edited:

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Peacock has really gone downhill with their sports coverage.

Used to be better 2 years ago. Now it seems they are focusing less and less on the less popular sports like rugby and more on the revenue sports like NFL.

The alpine skiing ended up becoming a huge mess. Peacock retained the rights to events in Austria, outsideTV had the right to the events on American soil and a 3rd streaming service has rights for everything else.

A lot of these services get into streaming because everyone else is doing it rather than doing it because they are good at it.
I saw that new skiing streamer - expensive to watch sadly. I know gymnastics fans are mad cause Worlds was like figure skating live only and I'm mad also because most of the other gymnastics is on a separate expensive feed. We can't afford to pay for a different streamer for every sport we watch! sigh...

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw that new skiing streamer - expensive to watch sadly. I know gymnastics fans are mad cause Worlds was like figure skating live only and I'm mad also because most of the other gymnastics is on a separate expensive feed. We can't afford to pay for a different streamer for every sport we watch! sigh...
Soon we will need to work 50 hours of overtime weekly to afford all this.

I was a holdout from the skiing too, but love the sport too much, so they finally got me this week. Lucky they offer a less expensive package with only alpine skiing that doesn’t include ski jumping, snowboarding, etc. If only I, and others like me, had any willpower, we would not purchase it and send a message, and force them to charge less, or nothing at all. As a sports fan, they know they will get me.

I’m so crazy I pay a yearly fee to watch the Moldovan football league.

Remember when a few years back we were excited because we wouldn’t have to deal with the cable companies anymore and we weren’t going to be forced to pay for channels we never watched?

In reality we, just as you said, had to pay a different streamer for every sport we watch.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Peacock has really gone downhill with their sports coverage.

Used to be better 2 years ago. Now it seems they are focusing less and less on the less popular sports like rugby and more on the revenue sports like NFL.

The alpine skiing ended up becoming a huge mess. Peacock retained the rights to events in Austria, outsideTV had the right to the events on American soil and a 3rd streaming service has rights for everything else.

A lot of these services get into streaming because everyone else is doing it rather than doing it because they are good at it.
What’s weird is you can watch reruns of speed skating all day long. I mean I love short track, but there is only so much of it I’m going to watch. And surely speed skating is even more of a niche sport than figure skating (in the US).

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How so?

But even with that, if one is paying for Peacock, they might as well use that money and pay for a good VPN service and use their regular browser.
Sorry I didn’t answer. Been having health problems. Glad Minz was here to answer.

yesterday

Record Breaker
What’s weird is you can watch reruns of speed skating all day long. I mean I love short track, but there is only so much of it I’m going to watch. And surely speed skating is even more of a niche sport than figure skating (in the US).
And short track and speed skating is also on the ISU youtube channel. So it's not about that for sure.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I just noticed that Peacock randomly is showing Eastern Collegiate Championships today -- already started. I guess the same deal for all fs events --- no archived on demand streams!

U.S. fed needs to get their act together and find a dedicated streaming provider who have better sense regarding broadcasting fs effectively!

ETA:
It's the synchronized event, not singles.

Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I just noticed that Peacock randomly is showing Eastern Collegiate Championships today -- already started. I guess the same deal for all fs events --- no archived on demand streams!

U.S. fed needs to get their act together and find a dedicated streaming provider who have better sense regarding broadcasting fs effectively!

ETA:
It's the synchronized event, not singles.
I watched this event after a very long wait because Peacock inaccurately listed the start time; very short event … 5 teams, and I enjoyed it. Held at the SCOB in Norwood MA (the K&C was beautifully decorated!) the audience was spotty but very enthusiastic. I was rooting for my Alma Mater team Boston University that came in last but fought to the end .. GO BU!!

Peacock posted a notice after the event that replay would be available shortly and it is available today… could this hold true for US Nationals and Europeans coming up🙏? Here’s hoping!!

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I watched this event after a very long wait because Peacock inaccurately listed the start time; very short event … 5 teams, and I enjoyed it. Held at the SCOB in Norwood MA (the K&C was beautifully decorated!) the audience was spotty but very enthusiastic. I was rooting for my Alma Mater team Boston University that came in last but fought to the end .. GO BU!!

Peacock posted a notice after the event that replay would be available shortly and it is available today… could this hold true for US Nationals and Europeans coming up🙏? Here’s hoping!!
I hope so. Because I am going to miss most from Wednesday and Thursday

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I'm watching it now. I hope replays happen, even if it's up only for a day.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Wow, well I certainly hope we can get replays!!! 🤞

The listings for figure skating through Thurs the 26th, are now up on Peacock. But the times are so confusing to navigate. Plus, I notice some overlap between the start of Euros and the U.S. junior events. I would have to forego seeing all of Jr women's fp, in order to view Euros pairs sp.

Above all, the U.S. figure skating colored schedule states the senior pairs sp starts live at 12:30pm on Thurs. Jan 26. Peacock has the senior pairs sp listed as starting live at 3pm!

Can someone help clarify this discrepancy. I'm trying to plan my viewing for the week, and this is extremely confusing and frustrating!

Is Peacock not showing senior pairs sp live? Or did they make a mistake in the listing?!

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Wow, well I certainly hope we can get replays!!! 🤞

The listings for figure skating through Thurs the 26th, are now up on Peacock. But the times are so confusing to navigate. Plus, I notice some overlap between the start of Euros and the U.S. junior events. I would have to forego seeing all of Jr women's fp, in order to view Euros pairs sp.

Above all, the U.S. figure skating colored schedule states the senior pairs sp starts live at 12:30pm on Thurs. Jan 26. Peacock has the senior pairs sp listed as starting live at 3pm!

Can someone help clarify this discrepancy. I'm trying to plan my viewing for the week, and this is extremely confusing and frustrating!

Is Peacock not showing senior pairs sp live? Or did they make a mistake in the listing?!
Perhaps the time difference, depending on where you are? The USFS schedule is in PDT(Pacific Time), while the Peacock app will show times in your local time. I can’t explain the extra 1/2 hour difference, however…

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ Ah, thanks @Minz. The U.S. schedule must say 12pm then. I was going by recall. I'll recheck. I forgot about pacific vs eastern time difference which complicates everything that much further. :palmf:

So, it will be streamed live, and if I look at the colored schedule, I have to calculate time zone differences. Sigh. Watching figure skating is such work these days.

ETA:
I checked and the U.S. colored schedule says 12:30pm to 2:31pm for senior pairs sp. An ice-resurfacing is supposed to take place from 11:36am to 12:30pm, so maybe Peacock is off by 1/2 hour and maybe they will correct before Thursday? Who knows. 😵‍💫

Last edited:

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
^^ Ah, thanks @Minz. The U.S. schedule must say 12pm then. I was going by recall. I'll recheck. I forgot about pacific vs eastern time difference which complicates everything that much further. :palmf:

So, it will be streamed live, and if I look at the colored schedule, I have to calculate time zone differences. Sigh. Watching figure skating is such work these days.

ETA:
I checked and the U.S. colored schedule says 12:30pm to 2:31pm for senior pairs sp. An ice-resurfacing is supposed to take place from 11:36am to 12:30pm, so maybe Peacock is off by 1/2 hour and maybe they will correct before Thursday? Who knows. 😵‍💫
Anytime!

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I don't think Peacock is offering replays of the events we want to watch, but at least they have made it easier to locate the upcoming events that will be broadcast live.

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I don't think Peacock is offering replays of the events we want to watch, but at least they have made it easier to locate the upcoming events that will be broadcast live.
Actually, it looks like Peacock is trying to make amends, limited replays are being offered!

Status
Not open for further replies.