Peacock this season | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Peacock this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't understand why anyone would use Peacock at this point.

For me, I like to watch the GPs using the Opera browser with the included VPN set to Asia. Access to replays when I want, medal ceremonies and galas. Some decent commentary by Ted and Mark as well. All for free.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

For me, I like to watch the GPs using the Opera browser with the included VPN set to Asia. Access to replays when I want, medal ceremonies and galas. Some decent commentary by Ted and Mark as well. All for free.
Problem is Opera is a security risk.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I got Peacock for $20/year. Since I really like to watch Sectionals, I kept Peacock. My most favorite competition is U. S. Nationals and I know that U. S. Nationals was streamed internationally in 2022 (before the Olympics) but don't expect an international stream in 2023 so, again, I still need Peacock.

I recently took my laptop in for repair and had avast installed and it comes with a vpn. Avast charge is $45/year. I tried the vpn during the GPF and it worked great.

yesterday

Record Breaker
I got Peacock for $20/year. Since I really like to watch Sectionals, I kept Peacock. My most favorite competition is U. S. Nationals and I know that U. S. Nationals was streamed internationally in 2022 (before the Olympics) but don't expect an international stream in 2023 so, again, I still need Peacock.

I recently took my laptop in for repair and had avast installed and it comes with a vpn. Avast charge is $45/year. I tried the vpn during the GPF and it worked great.
Mhh, Avast..

This is getting a bit technical but I will post it anyway.
A simpler article on the matter https://tech.hindustantimes.com/tec...ft-and-more-story-looO8ipKjQZTs6ekQHHjkL.html
plus several other sources

and a more in-depth one looking also on their addons with lots of linked sources https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...nsion-acquired-by-non-beloved-antivirus-firm/

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States

Because I don't just use it for sports and it comes with my Xfinity package. There's a couple television series I might check out soon.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I used the Proton VPN set to the Netherlands and it worked great. In fact I just got around to watching a few of the JGPF men. Worked really well watching the ISU Channel.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Mhh, Avast..

This is getting a bit technical but I will post it anyway.
A simpler article on the matter https://tech.hindustantimes.com/tec...ft-and-more-story-looO8ipKjQZTs6ekQHHjkL.html
plus several other sources

and a more in-depth one looking also on their addons with lots of linked sources https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...nsion-acquired-by-non-beloved-antivirus-firm/
Thanks for the info.

Ross74

Medalist
Opera slowed down my laptop a lot! Our Peacock login still works even though we moved and no longer have Comcast. For the time being it’s still free. :) Too bad about no replays but the streaming for skating has worked well for me this season, and it gives the correct local time for events.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
Thank you Minz for all of your help for those of us suffering from Peacock's poor coverage. I downloaded the free Proton VPN as you suggested, set it to Netherlands, and went right to the ISU YouTube channel. It's worked perfectly. It's been wonderful to watch the replays that I missed. And, unlike many posters here, I love having commentary. I get a lot of information and it's not so lonely watching the events.
Is Proton free?

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Proton is free, based in Switzerland, and known as one of the safest VPNs out there.

They also have a paid tier that gets you quite a bit.

I don’t trust Opera. Yes, it works, but it’s not safe. If you care about privacy, I would not use Opera.

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
I used the free version of Proton, and it worked well. We decided to upgrade to the paid version (not very expensive), and my husband and son use it as well. Very happy with it for figure skating and more!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I only use Opera to watch the ISU channel and never login or put personal info. I do not think that would be a security risk.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
I only use Opera to watch the ISU channel and never login or put personal info. I do not think that would be a security risk.
I mean, it‘s better to be safe than sorry. But, it’s a personal choice.

On the other hand, Proton is significantly faster than Opera, which is ideal for skating. Plus, I find the connection process more seamless.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I mean, it‘s better to be safe than sorry. But, it’s a personal choice.

On the other hand, Proton is significantly faster than Opera, which is ideal for skating. Plus, I find the connection process more seamless.
Thanks for the info, I may look into Proton as a backup. I usually don't have speed issues with Opera.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Peacock has really gone downhill with their sports coverage.

Used to be better 2 years ago. Now it seems they are focusing less and less on the less popular sports like rugby and more on the revenue sports like NFL.

The alpine skiing ended up becoming a huge mess. Peacock retained the rights to events in Austria, outsideTV had the right to the events on American soil and a 3rd streaming service has rights for everything else.

A lot of these services get into streaming because everyone else is doing it rather than doing it because they are good at it.

Amei

Record Breaker
Peacock has really gone downhill with their sports coverage.

Used to be better 2 years ago. Now it seems they are focusing less and less on the less popular sports like rugby and more on the revenue sports like NFL.

The alpine skiing ended up becoming a huge mess. Peacock retained the rights to events in Austria, outsideTV had the right to the events on American soil and a 3rd streaming service has rights for everything else.

A lot of these services get into streaming because everyone else is doing it rather than doing it because they are good at it.

I'm sorry that bolded past of your post is probably not meant to be funny but it is, it reads like a complaint that a business is focusing on products that actually make it money.

Does Peacock's coverage stink - yes, but I can't particularly blame them for doing things likely to reduce their costs to get either slightly better profits or reduce their losses from sports that are not popular in their primary market.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sorry that bolded past of your post is probably not meant to be funny but it is, it reads like a complaint that a business is focusing on products that actually make it money.

Does Peacock's coverage stink - yes, but I can't particularly blame them for doing things likely to reduce their costs to get either slightly better profits or reduce their losses from sports that are not popular in their primary market.
Glad it made you laugh. I’ll take a laugh whenever I can get it.

Obviously they should make money. But my gripe is that they offered it and then took it away. Or offered it then got lazy on the quality.

Had they not offered these less followed spots to begin with, I wouldn’t have had an issue. It’s more having it and half assing it or having it and removing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.