People trying to oppose Tanith Belbin's U.S. citizenship | Page 6 | Golden Skate

People trying to oppose Tanith Belbin's U.S. citizenship

R.D.

Record Breaker
ok, thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.

But if the bill has been defeated, why is this still an issue? Did they amend the bill or something and then try to get it passed through again? I'm confused.

Ptichka said:
Joe, Zavozin is in the same boat with Belbin. If Tanith gets her citizenship, so does Max; if she doesn't, he doesn't either.
Ptcka and eurterpe - Yikes, I was totally befuddled with the quartet. I think I've got the whole picture now.

If B&A get the go ahead, then the US Nationals will probably have one place open for an additional dance team: S&O, M&Z or GR/M.

If B&A do not get the go ahead, then neither does M&Z. that leaves 2 probable places for S&O and GR/M to be in the Olys.

Very sad for Belbin and Zavozin if it doesn't work out. How powerful was (will be) the preventive measures of Miller? What if there were no preventive measues?

Unfortunately, this is not a big issue for the US politicos. If it were baseball players, it would be.

Joe

Spirit

On the Ice
Blue Bead said:
One of the things which baffles me in this latest information concerns the statement that David's mother's letter wasn't an attack on Tanith and Ben. If it wasn't then, what was it and who was it directed towards?
They said it wasn't a personal attack, which is actually a very valid point. You can move to block someone politically, or argue with someone about something, without getting personal or meaning anything bad toward that person because of who they are.

Also, as someone wisely pointed out, the real target may be Maxim, in which case their statement is perfectly true, anyway. :laugh:

Blue Bead said:
While this new letter states that they won't pursue anything to influence Tanith's attempt to get expedited citizenship, they certainly have no problems with doing everything in their power to prevent her from getting it.
The meaning I got from the statement is that they were talking about themselves only, and basically washing their hands of Mr. & Mrs. Mitchells' actions. A wise move all around, really.

Also, there may have been more to the statement than what ESPN shared in the article. That's one thing that always bugs me about press releases: we just get the highlights.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Red Dog said:
ok, thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.

But if the bill has been defeated, why is this still an issue? Did they amend the bill or something and then try to get it passed through again? I'm confused.

An appropriations bill is supposed to be passed by the year's end, so there will be some "massaging" of the critical portions (Medicare, food stamps, pork, etc.), and another vote. Whether it this vote will occur quickly enough to allow the bill to ll pass both houses of Congress and get signed by the President in time for Tanith to get her citizenship before the Jan 10 deadline is a different question.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I got a letter from Senator Ted Stevens about this subject yesterday (it was written November 2, mailed two days later and got to me yesterday, gotta love the US postal service lol) saying thank you for my concern yadda yadda yadda I would be happy to know the senate voted to pass it and all that

I just found it ironically funny :laugh:

anyway... Tanith said that if they didn't know by Dec. 1st if they were going then they weren't going. So I guess this is all a moot point now, yes?

euterpe

Medalist
I don't think anyone saw the letter as a PERSONAL attack. Mrs. Mitchell was attacking a CLASS of people: teams where one member was not a 'US-born citizen' and were vying for Olympic berths vs. teams where both members were 'US-born citizens'. That's even worse than a personal attack.

She wanted to prevent those non-US born persons from obtaining citizenship in time for Torino, and wanted Congressmen and Senators to stop the legislation from being voted into law. Unfortunately, her language suggests that teams like Gregory-Petukhov and Inoue/Baldwin are less than legitimate.

With regard to Tanith's 'bid for expedited citizenship' the statement said they "will not pursue any avenue" --- it did not say they had not agreed with or consented to Mrs. Mitchell's letter-writing campaign before it came to light. We don't know if they knew about it or were in favor of or against it.

It just said they would not do anything in the future. Their statement just raises far more questions than it answers.

They obviously are ready and willing to benefit from the absence of B/A and M/Z, if that happens, that's for sure. And if it does, I have a feeling if they will be facing a stony audience in St. Louis a month from now.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
How powerful was (will be) the preventive measures of Miller? What if there were no preventive measues?
My guess - none at all. This piece of legislation is now totally dependent on the appropriations bill. With all due respect to Tanith and Max, I can't imagine any Congressperson in close to their right mind decing whether to vote for or against the bill just on the Levine ammendment.

jesslily

Final Flight
I doubt that Loren and David will retire after this season if they made the team and not placed at the very buttom. Loren put her Harvard education on hold just for skating...If the letter to Senator Clinton is not from Mrs. Mitchell, we will truely understand that it's purely prevent changing the law in a rush or loosing the immigration rules. But the letter is from a particular person at a particular time, it really show the motivation.

euterpe

Medalist
According to Mrs. Mitchell's letter, Loren and David have always intended to retire at the end of this season. Loren has postponed her college education twice now, and Harvard (or Yale) will not hold a place for her indefinitely.

However, I don't see why their imminent retirement should have any influence on their getting a berth on the Olympic team (assuming Tanith and Max don't get their citizenship in time), any more than Weiss, Goebel or Savoie retiring should entitle them to a spot on the Men's team.

Vash01

Medalist
This reminds me of Punsalan & Swallow using a similar tactic and succeeding against Roca & Sur by blocking Gorsha's citizenship so that P&S could go to the Olympics. P&S were severely criticized for their actions. I hope Mrs.Miller will be criticized too. In this case she is not even a competitor- she is a parent of a skater.

I see no reason why a US born citizen should be given preference over a naturalized (or have the potential to be naturalized) citizen in selecting a skating partner.

In order for Michell and G-R to make the Olympic team all they have to do is skate well enough to earn a berth.

Vash

The bottom line of this never ending story is that there is a rule in the international Olymic Committee. Every athlete sponsored by a country must be a citizen of that country.

Citizenships of any country vary; Immigration any country vary; rules for attaining citizenship as an alien to any country vary.

There seems to be a rationale for Tanith obtaining her citizenship under the law and without any favoritiim. Let's hope it happens.

Joe

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Now that Christine Brennan has weighed in & the latest 'fluff piece' on this controversy has aired on ESPN (yesterday's Cup of Russia ODs telecast), what does everyone think?

My take:
Team G-R/M comes across as rather devious, IMO. Did you notice the look on David Mitchell's face when, in Kiss n'Cry, Carruthers confronted him with a question about 'the letter' (David said 'I know nothing about a letter')? That was immediately followed by Brennan 'exposing' a copy of the letter on David Mitchell's e-mail account.

Ooooh....things are heating up, folks! :p

Last edited:

euterpe

Medalist
David came across as sullen and defensive. There'[s no doubt in my mind now that he knew all about the letter and yes, agreed with it.

It's too bad that he couldn't tell the truth and explain why he feels as he does. Anything would be better for him and Loren than lying and pouting.

He can hope that it will all blow over, but it won't, especially if Tanith and Max don't get their citizenship. ESPN is into this story big time, bringing Christine Brennan on board. I can just picture the drama at Natonals.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
euterpe said:
ESPN is into this story big time, bringing Christine Brennan on board. I can just picture the drama at Natonals.

Exactly as I thought, euterpe! They're gonna milk this one for all it's worth...maybe devote an episode on 20/20 or Latenight. Then NBC will jump onto the bandwagon for Olympics, just in case G-R/M squeeze onto the team because Belbin & Zavozin don't get their respective US citizenships on time. I can see NBC signing-up beautiful Tanith as a commentator, if she isn't a competitor. :rock:

Linny

Final Flight
Went last time

I'm trying to remember the name of the USA dance team who got to go to SLC because other teams ahead of them at Nationals weren't citizenship eligible... they did Samson and Delila including a reverse role lift (and he was a BIG guy). Lovely couple (husband and wife team), conducted themselves well, seemed very surprised and gratified that they got to go.
Lin

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Linny said:
I'm trying to remember the name of the USA dance team who got to go to SLC because other teams ahead of them at Nationals weren't citizenship eligible... they did Samson and Delila including a reverse role lift (and he was a BIG guy). Lovely couple (husband and wife team), conducted themselves well, seemed very surprised and gratified that they got to go.
Lin

You are reffering to Beata Handra and Charles Sinek I believe, who finished fourth at the Nationals in 2002 and got to go to the Olympics because B/A and G/P weren't eligible. They were a lovely team and I enjoyed watching them. I believe they retired shortly after the Olympics.

After seeing the fluff coverage last night, I'm wondering why the media hasn't yet linked the Mitchells motive behind the letter to Max Zavozin. As many people have already mentioned, I imagine that G-R/M are mostly concerned with getting that third spot on the Olympic team, a spot that M/Z are set to earn at Nationals. I don't believe that Mrs. Mitchell once mentioned B/A specifically in her letter nor is B/A mentioned specifically in the bill since it benefits many more people than just B/A and M/Z. B/A have been publicized by the media for pushing their citizenship efforts since at least the beginning of the season while no one has said much about M/Z's similar quest involving the same bill. For this reason, I'm sure it's possible that the Mitchells are really more concerned about M/Z than about B/A and everyone just assumed this was meant as trying to oppose B/A since B/A has been the team in the media spotlight. I suppose it doesn't matter though because in the end what happens to B/A will also happen to M/Z as far as Olympic eligibility is concerned.

As far as the letter goes, you could definitely tell by David's reaction in the interview that he knew about it and most likely supported it. If I honestly didn't know about something like that and I were in his position, I'd be like "what the........???????". He spoke with hostility and it was obvious he was trying to hide something. I don't think he has much to worry about though. It is looking more and more everyday like neither one of these teams will get their citizenship by the Olympics. It will be a pleasant surprise if they are somehow able to pull it off, but I'm not counting on it as of now.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
*~RussianBleux~* said:
I don't believe that Mrs. Mitchell once mentioned B/A specifically in her letter.......
QUOTE]

"Tanith Belbin" is indeed specifically mentioned in Mrs. Mitchell's letter, although Max Zavozin is not. By the way, Susie Wynne finally mentioned Max Zavozin, while commentating on G-R/M's OD....he was not mentioned by Brennan or Carruthers durring the 'expose' piece. I guess that we'll get even more updates tonight, during the Cup of Russia finals on ESPN, then even more next week, during the two NHK telecasts. Wheee!!!!!

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Frau Muller said:
By the way, Susie Wynne finally mentioned Max Zavozin, while commentating on G-R/M's OD....he was not mentioned by Brennan or Carruthers durring the 'expose' piece. I guess that we'll get even more updates tonight, during the Cup of Russia finals on ESPN, then even more next week, during the two NHK telecasts. Wheee!!!!!
I always liked Wynne's commentary. Brennan and Carruthers were just looking at the sensational aspect (many casual fans have never heard of M&Z); Susie actually looked into what was going on.

boggartlaura

On the Ice
Linny said:
Lin
You're thinking of Handra/Sinek.(sp?)
And they didn't conduct themselves well the year before when they were complaining about B/A getting promoted and sent to worlds instead of them, despite the fact B/A were 2nd and they were 4th.