Plushenko's chances for the Olympic Gold Medal | Golden Skate

Plushenko's chances for the Olympic Gold Medal

BlackAxel

Final Flight
So far this season, the top runners Oda, Lysacek, Takahashi, and Abbott have managed to skate well in their own right but none have managed to pull off the "coveted quad and quad combo" in the same program (if I am not mistaken). In addition, the past two winners of Worlds, Buttle and Lysacek both have skated programs without quads in what some have seen as “undeserving.” ...... While it might have been ok for skaters to go quadless in the past, it seems that it isn’t anymore.
If we disregard the outrageous scores that Plushenko received at the Nationals, Plushenko still has the ability to rack up the points through his technical and PCS scores. While we didn't see a 100% Plushenko at the Russian Nationals, I still would not be surprised if we saw Plushenko win the upcoming Euros competition as well as the Olympics with the crazy combinations that he has up his sleeve.

In his [Plushenko] repertory is also a triple axel, quadruple toe combination. His coach, Alexei Mishin, shows that move to people on a video he keeps on his iPhone.

Before, I thought that the Gold medalists for men who have to have a quad. However, now I am convinced that 2 quads may be necessary now and Plushenko seems like the top choice for gold.…… So this leads to my question if whether Plushenko is just THAT GOOD of a skater or has the men’s field weakened significantly (technically speaking) since his departure in 2006?

N

n_halifax

So far this season, the top runners Oda, Lysacek, Takahashi, and Abbott have managed to skate well in their own right but none have managed to pull off the "coveted quad and quad combo" in the same program (if I am not mistaken). In addition, the past two winners of Worlds, Buttle and Lysacek both have skated programs without quads in what some have seen as “undeserving.” ...... While it might have been ok for skaters to go quadless in the past, it seems that it isn’t anymore.
If we disregard the outrageous scores that Plushenko received at the Nationals, Plushenko still has the ability to rack up the points through his technical and PCS scores. While we didn't see a 100% Plushenko at the Russian Nationals, I still would not be surprised if we saw Plushenko win the upcoming Euros competition as well as the Olympics with the crazy combinations that he has up his sleeve.

Before, I thought that the Gold medalists for men who have to have a quad. However, now I am convinced that 2 quads may be necessary now and Plushenko seems like the top choice for gold.…… So this leads to my question if whether Plushenko is just THAT GOOD of a skater or has the men’s field weakened significantly (technically speaking) since his departure in 2006?

I don't feel the field by has any means weakened significantly whatsoever. I just feel that Evgeni seems to have a recipe for success in many ways that makes him a front runner - though not unbeatable.