Practice reports? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Practice reports?

eliza88

On the Ice
kandidy...I cannot remember if Yukari was doing 3/3's...

Regarding Miki's spiral...I think 2 out of 3 positions were done well today and looked nice and steady though she still wobbles while doing the change of edge.

I did think it odd when Yu-na popped a few jumps, but then there were so many good ones that followed that my concerns melted away.

Oh, I forgot to add...Delobel and Schoenfelder had a collision and Isabel went down...she got up quickly but held her back for awhile...this was very early in the warm up and did not seem to affect her at all. There were a couple other near collisions...it is amazing how quickly they can put on the brakes and swerve!

eliza88

fiercemao

Match Penalty
kandidy...I cannot remember if Yukari was doing 3/3's...

I did think it odd when Yu-na popped a few jumps, but then there were so many good ones that followed that my concerns melted away.

eliza88

Yukari never had 3/3.

Yu-Na did occasionally pop some jumps in the past, so this is not something entirely new.

missysays

On the Ice
I love this photo of Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates.

http://photography.ice-dance.com/2008SkateAmerica/Practice/Oct23/0018-SB.jpg.php

Could these two be any cuter? They look like they stepped out of a Norman Rockwell picture or that "On the Town" movie with Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly (I know the music is actually Follow the Fleet- but they look more technicolor than Fred and Ginger black and white movie). As American as cherry coke and apple pie. :laugh:

Andalusia

Final Flight
All those many months of boredom and now that the new season is finally underway, things are starting to get really exciting! :)

I loved Mirai and Kimmie - both their choice of music and the performances. Rachel was as boring as all get out, and the rote choice of music doesn't do her any favours. However, kudos to her for trying out a new 3-3 (3F-3Lo), and it didn't look that bad either. I was also unimpressed with Yu-Na - it wasn't just that there were errors in her performance, but the music she's picked is very dramatic, and she didn't exude that quality at all.

And Miki...she hasn't looked like her heart is in it for a long time now...I wouldn't be surprised if we get a retirement announcement if she has another bad season. Blah choice of music for her, too.

But then again, these are all just practices, so I'm probably reading way too much into what isn't even there. ;)

annlfs

Rinkside
Johnny's run-through of his LP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brv-lLah0H0

Not many jumps, he fell on the opening quad. :no: A nice 3Z-3T in the second half, though. And a great combination spin to finish it off.

love the music:love: very lyrical and powerfull just like johnny, can't realy see much of the choreography , but that straight line step sequence and those final spins where awesome:clap:, love the catchfoot/layback/bielmann wathever it is!!

Last edited:

szidon

On the Ice
a slightly better quality vid of Yuna's practice!

thanks eliza for that practice report! am so excited that skating season is here even though i should be studying and not replaying youtube videos over and over...
your practice report is encouraging in terms of yuna! cause after watching her youtube practice vid i was worried for her. she seemed low energy and her spins looked slow, not much improved... but her free leg during the spiral looked a lot higher, i know that's one of the things brian orser said they were going to work on. i am hoping during the actual competition she will pull out the energy and charm as is custom for her :)

and kudos to miki for getting a mention of her *spiral* of all things! yay.

here is a slightly better quality vid of yuna's practice:
http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=b-0tlHyMUXg
(hit the "high quality" link at the bottom corner.)

Thanks eliza, thanks bubbleyum!

I also found a better quality vid of Yuna's practice. You can even see her detailed facial expression and arm movements. But maybe you should download a program to watch the vid.
http://news.sbs.co.kr/section_news/news_read.jsp?news_id=N1000491022

The other one is a just news clip of Yuna's practice, but her facial expression of the beginning is very vivid. And 3F-3T is superbly dramatic! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOf-Pn3cN1Y

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
I was also unimpressed with Yu-Na - it wasn't just that there were errors in her performance, but the music she's picked is very dramatic, and she didn't exude that quality at all.

Reports are that Yu-na is like that in practice. She always comes alive for the competition. Of all the girls she's the one with the least to prove to the judges in practice. (Meissner/Ando have to show they aren't hazbeens and Mirai/Rachael have to show they belong.)

That being said I do remember Orser saying that they weren't going to train Yu-na as hard earlier in the season in hopes that she'll be healthier at the end of the season...

Last edited:

lmarie086

Medalist

They are just lovely; really looking forward to their OD. I have to say though, their costumes (at least in that picture) make them look very, very young.

Reports are that Yu-na is like that in practice. She always comes alive for the competition. Of all the girls she's the one with the least to prove to the judges in practice. (Meissner/Ando have to show they aren't hazbeens and Mirai/Rachael have to show they belong.)

I recall hearing that as well. As long as she brings it for the competition, no worries. I love that music for her and can't wait to see her perform it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They are just lovely; really looking forward to their OD. I have to say though, their costumes (at least in that picture) make them look very, very young.

They are quite young: Emily is 18 and Evan is 19.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I realize that. Their costumes highlight that fact, IMO.
I'm not saying it's a bad thing.

Their youth was quite realistic for the WW2 1940s era. Young men were enlisting or being drafted at 17 and 18, and their girlfriends were as young or younger.

zephyrskates

On the Ice
OMG. I was looking at youtube, and someone has already posted a video analyzing yuna's botched Flip. crazy world.

Tigger

Final Flight
Whoever said that Samuelson and Bates look like they stepped out of On The Town wasn't too far off. They really do look like they could have stepped right out of that movie. :)

Tigger - I think it's meant to be Ginger and Fred in an Irving Berlin number about the Fleet. Can't remember the name of it. It's 30s, not 50s.