Romeo and Juliet - Like, Don’t mind, Hate | Golden Skate

Romeo and Juliet - Like, Don’t mind, Hate

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
I created one of these for Bolero, and some people asked me to do it for other warhorses, so here we go!

One of the most popular warhorses in skating is Romeo and Juliet. There are many different programs and styles.

So.. who’s Romeo and Juliet do you like, who’s do you not mind, and who’s can you not stand.
(you can include just one or multiple if you like)

Have fun!!

My picks:

Favorites
I don’t really have favorites, maybe I haven’t seen enough skating yet (any recommendations?!)

Don’t Mind
Daria/Sasha’s 2020-21 free skate - (It’s the exact same music cut, that’s why I put it together!)

Ummmm
Jun-hwan Cha’s Romeo and Juliet - Disco thing.....

lappo

Final Flight
Adore: Yuzuru R&J 1.0 (THE Romeo), Sasha Cohen (THE Juliet), Anastasia Gubanova :love2:. Honorable mention to Marin Honda and both Lambiel and Takahashi EX.
Don't mind: most of the rest, Romeo and Juliet is my favourite warhorse.
Dislike: Yuzuru R&J 2.0 (after the first rendition it was really underwhelming); also Jun-hwan Cha, which was a fan's favourite but I didn't really like it.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I really enjoyed Sasha Cohen's Free Skate to R&J, as well as her Exhibition to the same music. Junhwan Cha had a very different take on it (other mix of music, from a soundtrack) and I loved the 'Juliet' exclamation in the programme. I have no dislikes to be honest.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
HATE!

I've only ever liked Sasha Cohen's and H/D's. And yes, I know most don't like the latter, but this is my opinion and space to express that.

I also always loved Kwans show program to 'I'm Kissing You' from the modern version of the film.

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight
For a warhorse I like R & J just because there's so much potential for variety in the music cuts because there are so many different soundtracks/ballets/classical works to choose from and most of them are quite good.

Favourites- Kostornaia, Cha's JULIEEEEEEEET, Usacheva, Trusova (when all the choreo wasn't removed to put in extra quads)

Like but aren't my favourites- Hanyu 1.0, Gubanova, H/D (would be higher but the music was just so weird imo)

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Looooooved Junliet!!!! Especially in the GPF where he did a jump and clutched his head as "Juuuuuuulieeeeeet" was being screamed out on the soundtrack.

That was epic!!!

I am rather fond of that particular warhorse so I can't say there is a version I don't like out of the ones I've seen.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really like Romeo and Juliet, so I can't say there are any I dislike.
Sasha Cohen's is a favorite. Also, I liked Sasha and Daria having the same music cuts.
Cha's JULIETT is epic.
And I hope Vasiljevs keeps his long program , it's really good.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Thank you @Minz! 😊

Favourite - the passion!
Yuzuru Hanyu 1.0 - worlds!!
Kaganovskaya / Angelopol
Anastasia Gubanova

Don't Mind
Aliona Kostornaia
Marin Honda
Shun Sato
Junhwan Cha - I like the disco section. Something different! & the ina bauer
Marina Anissina / Gwendal Peizerat
Totmianina / Marinin
Hubbell / Donohue - they kept changing it all the time
Alexandra Trusova - nationals was great, worlds not so much
Daria Usacheva

Umm
Yuzuru Hanyu 2.0 (why change it...🥺)
Bradie Tennell
Young You

Looking at this list...I would actually like to see more couples skate to it 😇 so many pieces of music to choose from, I feel that people often stick to the same ones. Montagues and Capulets by Prokofiev I always associate with The Apprentice!

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
I was never a Cohen fan, but her R&J was the best I’ve seen. I knew once she picked it for the Olympics that if she skated clean, she would win. As everyone predicted, she didn’t skate clean...but she still sold the program. It’s a great program and a great fit for her. She knew it too- she used it for exhibitions and programs.
I don’t think anyone will ever top her program.

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
The only Romeo and Juliet program that I love is Sasha Cohen's FS at the Olympics ("The difference between Sasha and everyone else is that everyone skates to Romeo and Juliet, she is Juliet"). Sasha became Juliet in those four minutes in Torino. I also enjoy Aliona Kostornaia's FS at the 2018 Junior GPF and Marin Honda's R&J.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Like:
Alexandra Trusova
Yuzuru Hanyu
Anissina/Peizerat
You Young

Don't Mind:
Hubbell/Donohue
Junhwan Cha
Sasha Cohen
Alena Kostornaya

Hate:
Yulia Lipnitskaya
Bradie Tennell (I love her but yikes)

And yes, this is ordered.

katymay

Medalist
I love all versions, and every skater who has done each version. (Okay, Propofiev is my favorite) Maybe Sofia S.'s version is my favorite (with Aimer, then transitioning into the Propofiev).

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
The only Romeo and Juliet program that I love is Sasha Cohen's FS at the Olympics ("The difference between Sasha and everyone else is that everyone skates to Romeo and Juliet, she is Juliet"). Sasha became Juliet in those four minutes in Torino. I also enjoy Aliona Kostornaia's FS at the 2018 Junior GPF and Marin Honda's R&J.
Sasha was Juliet. I do love her in character.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I realized I misunderstood the interpretation of these threads. Generally I find R and J music drawing in people, emotionally easy to invest, familiar. I am open to more "modern" versions including hip hop, disco et al but I think the clasically style still is best. T and M's olympic perormance was powerful but not necessarily emotionally awakening, Yulia can make anything beautiful and I loved Sasha's rendition. I have mixed feelings about Cha and Hanyu.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
nobody mentioned my favourite... Han Yan's .... i liked Cha's as well...
I have vague memories of Cohen... so i would need to watch it again...

all the others : BLEH