Romeo and Juliet - Like, Don’t mind, Hate | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Romeo and Juliet - Like, Don’t mind, Hate

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I love Junliet because it's just too iconic NOT to, a true work of surrealism.

I also enjoyed Madi and Zach's, I thought they did really well and felt so bad for them at the 4CC in 2019!

I enjoyed Sasha Trusova's, but now I can't watch it after all that's gone down.

Don't mind - pretty much everyone else's I ain't fussy and I think I'm immune to hating Warhorses (except maybe Phantom of the Opera :laugh: I tend to just laugh rather than get annoyed or press mute.)

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Hate!
**when using the same exact pieces everybody else uses. Isn't the ballet 3 hours? Doesn't each of the 5+ films have a 1 1/2 hour soundtrack? More than enough music to go around.
Feel free to tell this to Daria Usacheva and Sasha Trusova who both skated to the EXACT SAME music cuts of Romeo and Juliet this season.. :ROFLMAO:

(Though I didn’t really mind that version so I was fine)

formersk8ter

On the Ice
The question is: WHICH Romeo and Juliet?
- Pyotr Tchaikovsky's Fantasy Overture? LOVE
- Sergei Prokoviev's music to the ballet? LOVE
- Nino Rota's music to Franco Zeffirelli's 1968 film? LOVE
- The soundtrack to the Baz Luhrmann's 1996 film (namely, Kissing You)? HATE
- Craig Armstrong's score to the same film? INDIFFERENT
- The soundtrack to the 2013 film composed by Abel Korzeniowski? LOVE

So, I generally don't mind everyone who uses any of the above music scores minus the songs. Kovaříková&Novotny, Anissina&Peizerat, Fusar Poli&Margaglio, Sasha Cohen, Totmianina&Marinin, Yuzuru Hanyu, Polischuk&Vakhnov, etc. I do consider them dated and if I were judging and music were the deciding factor, these skaters would be on the losing end on artistry alone.
I hate the latest trend of using horrible cuts that highlight the dissonance of pieces that should never be used together and are presented under the general theme "Romeo and Juliet". (Bradie Tennell, Sasha Trusova, Daria Usachova). We need to retire this trend ASAP!
Thank you for bringing this up! For me, Tchaikovsky's and Prokofiev's are the only ones worthy of discussion, and even they should have their own separate threads.