Romeo and Juliet - Like, Don’t mind, Hate | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Romeo and Juliet - Like, Don’t mind, Hate

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like Hubbell and Donohue's R&J because they make me really think about the story and they make me believe it. Love H/D's intensity and sexiness.

I like Junhwan Cha's R&J because he really showed himself and his personality in that program. And it was surprising, the first time ... and after the first time, I still loved it because it was so different from most R&Js.

Fourleaf Clover

Rinkside
Country
Philippines
Love: Hanyu's R&J 1.0 (that ROAR!!)
Sasha Cohen

Don't mind : Junliet and many others

Meh : Sasha Trusova, Bradie Tennel and Hanyu's 2.0 (though I love the ina bauer)

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
There have been some really good programs with Romeo and Juliet (see above), but it's too overused now, especially in juniors. This is one warhorse that doesn't need anymore use. I feel like a lot of the potential for variation has already been done by other skaters.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Favorites
Yuzuru Hanyu 2011-2012 FS for the intensity.
Denis Ten 2015-2016 SP for the originality

Don’t Mind
Anything else.

rugbyfan

On the Ice
I find this so weird a question because the different composers are so different that I don't think of it as the same thing. I think Anassina and Peizerat do a good job of R and J but I have never liked Prokofiev so I find the programme difficult to like. Hanyu's music is much easier and it is a wonder of a programme - would definitely be on my love list. Just rewatched Cohen and she is Juliet but I don't think I am in any way comparing like for like which is may be why I haven't thought of R and J as a warhorse in the same way as e.g POTO

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Like:
Marin Honda's
Sasha Cohen's
Junhwan Cha
Kaganovskaya/Angelopol

Don't Mind:
Aliona Kostornaia's R&J

Hate:
Bradie Tennel's
Hubbel/Donahue's
Daria Usacheva's

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I agree it’s a little tricky to answer this one because there’s so many pieces of music called Romeo and Juliet that get used in skating. For example, I really liked Deniss Vasiljevs FS and Junhwan Cha’s... but they each used completely unrelated cuts that happened to be on the same theme.

I do strongly dislike Kissing You and tend to think less of most cuts that include it, and I’m a little burnt out on Zeffirelli’s score though I think Sasha Cohen’s is probably the best version of that one for me. Prokofiev is probably my favorite so I did like Anissina/Peizerat’s FD a lot.

Imagine

Medalist
Worship: Sasha Cohen's definitive Romeo and Juliet.

Don't Mind: Everyone else's, although I do prefer Nino Rota's score.

Hate: Yulia's 2014-2015 program. Not because I have a problem with the program itself per se, but because of everything that happened to her that season.

Nightcrawler

On the Ice
The question is: WHICH Romeo and Juliet?
- Pyotr Tchaikovsky's Fantasy Overture? LOVE
- Sergei Prokoviev's music to the ballet? LOVE
- Nino Rota's music to Franco Zeffirelli's 1968 film? LOVE
- The soundtrack to the Baz Luhrmann's 1996 film (namely, Kissing You)? HATE
- Craig Armstrong's score to the same film? INDIFFERENT
- The soundtrack to the 2013 film composed by Abel Korzeniowski? LOVE

So, I generally don't mind everyone who uses any of the above music scores minus the songs. Kovaříková&Novotny, Anissina&Peizerat, Fusar Poli&Margaglio, Sasha Cohen, Totmianina&Marinin, Yuzuru Hanyu, Polischuk&Vakhnov, etc. I do consider them dated and if I were judging and music were the deciding factor, these skaters would be on the losing end on artistry alone.
I hate the latest trend of using horrible cuts that highlight the dissonance of pieces that should never be used together and are presented under the general theme "Romeo and Juliet". (Bradie Tennell, Sasha Trusova, Daria Usachova). We need to retire this trend ASAP!

Lota

Record Breaker
The question is: WHICH Romeo and Juliet?
- Pyotr Tchaikovsky's Fantasy Overture? LOVE
- Sergei Prokoviev's music to the ballet? LOVE
- Nino Rota's music to Franco Zeffirelli's 1968 film? LOVE
- The soundtrack to the Baz Luhrmann's 1996 film (namely, Kissing You)? HATE
- Craig Armstrong's score to the same film? INDIFFERENT
- The soundtrack to the 2013 film composed by Abel Korzeniowski? LOVE
But there is one more! The 2001 French musical "Roméo et Juliette: de la Haine à l'Amour" :drama: As demonstrated by Volosozhar/Trankov in their EX here.

Of course, there's also their official competition version (Prokofiev) here. Not necessarily the best "Romeo and Juliet" program, but man, what an introduction to them as a new Pair to the international scene :love2:

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Loved Kulik‚ s program, such a pity they changed the program for the Gershwin one in the Olympic season!

Nightcrawler

On the Ice
But there is one more! The 2001 French musical "Roméo et Juliette: de la Haine à l'Amour" :drama: As demonstrated by Volosozhar/Trankov in their EX here.

Of course, there's also their official competition version (Prokofiev) here. Not necessarily the best "Romeo and Juliet" program, but man, what an introduction to them as a new Pair to the international scene :love2:
I didn't know about that! Thank you!