Sasha's Journal (spoiler for SP) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha's Journal (spoiler for SP)

jesslily

Final Flight
I did not have a chance to see what exact going on at the warm-up of the senior lady last group, but I completely understand the situation. People should not take these things too seriously. As for close friends, how many skaters can keep close friends in same discipline? Sasha may not have close friends, does Michelle have? Does Jenny Kirk have? Skaters train hard everyday and also relocate to get the best coach and ice, their everyday's practice is sort of competition, it's very hard to keep a long time friendship.

Tonichelle said:
I saw it much differently... Kimme and Katy seemed to want to warm up wherever Michelle and Sasha were skating... Michelle cut them off several times as well.
What I saw from a very good vantage seat was that no one did any cutting off deliberately. Both MK and SC are seasoned skaters and have their own warm-up routine during the warm-up time. It is not that other skaters have to bow to them but if that's what they do than too bad for the other skaters. They have the right to use the ice in their manner of warm-up.

I reiterate my previouis post Sasha did not seem to me to be doing anything deliberately.

Joe

dmr65

On the Ice
Fans who dislike her, easily convinced to dislike her or want to find tiny things wrong with her, are going to have or keep their opinions no matter what.

I'm a fan of both. No I do not visit their specific chat forms, because it's just safe that way... Regardless, I like both MK and Sasha and refuse to form opinions.. :yes:

Denise..

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I think the reason why these Sasha warm-up and practice stories seem more believable is because it seems to happen more than once.

I remember reading the USFS boards and the old F$W where we heard reports of Sasha's behavior at 2002 Nationals practices all week. Dawn, a figure skater in SoCal who posts on MKF, wrote that at 2002 Nationals, Sasha kept aiming for Angela during the practices and cutting her off to the point where Angela was in tears. That resulted in an incident where Nikodinov and Kwan were in conversation after the medal ceremony and brushed Sasha off when she tried to come over which caused a major fan of Kwan to hate her.

There was also a story that Sasha, back in 2002 days, was pretty famous in the SoCal rinks for being diva-like and acting as if she owned the ice. There was a story that she was asked not to come back to a rink because of what she did.

Then there was that incident in Skate America, in 2001 I believe, where she was pulling off diva antics to Viktoria Volchkova. Vika was clearly not amused from what the spectators were saying.

Then there is the story of how Shizuka Arakawa got her nickname, "Divakawa". It was that Sasha tried to pull off some of her famous practice moves on Arakawa, and Shizuka wouldn't have any of it and decided to give Sasha a taste of her own medicine.

Before you jump on me, I'm not saying that these stories are true, but these stories have been told on and backed up on the internet. And because of that, people are more willing to believe that Sasha would be more likely to pull off some of these things. Of course, many of these could be lies. It depends on if are willing to believe these things.

BTW, Tonichelle, we get it. You don't like Kwan.

Last edited:

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks Toni for your thoughts. I think all the warmup stuff is silly. When I went to Nationals a couple years ago (2002) I saw many near misses, but you never heard about them if their names weren't Sasha or Michelle. Frankly I'm surprised there aren't more accidents and I mean actual contact and not near misses because these skaters are so fast! It also would make absolutely no sense to try to have near misses on purpose. If you were trying to "buzz" someone, it would only take a slight miscalculation to truly bump into them and that could cause you serious injury. It could cost you an entire season.

Eternalacer, about Sasha's web site, I think the main thing to notice is that it is designed with the interests of her youngest fans in mind. No harm in that, as far as I can see.

Mathman:)

gezando

Final Flight
Mathman said:
Eternalacer, about Sasha's web site, I think the main thing to notice is that it is designed with the interests of her youngest fans in mind. No harm in that, as far as I can see.

Mathman:)

The only harm was when they discredit Fumie's bronze medal at worlds 03, as Fumie's luck of the draw in the QR.

dmr65

On the Ice
Why when someone defends Sasha, they are considered non fans of MK? What about me? I defend Sasha, I also defend MK... I don't participate on their fan forums or chat boards... Should I be called a non fan because I refuse to chat in their specific forums? I go to one MK forum and chat in the general skating threads. . I own a skater specific forum, and have personally be told by their fans that they personally do not chat there, because they like to be more expressive, and open minded when they chat... Does that make them less a fan? No... I don't believe non of the above makes a person less a fan... I like to watch MK and Sasha skate, I see human beings first in them both... I respect MK for who she conducts herself off ice, and Sasha for her style of skating - we don't know Sasha really off ice. She has not been around that long as MK, for use to really get to know who she is. Just because someone is NOT overtly bias amd are not drooling, does not make them less of an admirer.. Even if Toni is not a fan, where in her posts is the dislike for MK? I think Toni has always posted with tact,consideration and respect.... Some of us are great admirers of skating or a skatear, not Fanaticals...

Don't use FSU and some other boards for proof, as an excuse for willing to believe in everything.. There are a lot of people out there in groups who have motives for what or why they say things... Good or bad... Not every single internet fan reports in those places. Some skaters have been around longer, have a bigger fan support in certain areas than others. Some may have a specific culture of people who follow them, and their specific chat forums have more dedicared fans who don't venture out to FSU, AC or where-ever.. I know a lot of fans who stay away form the internet chat boards/forums period, because they are just fans and wish not to read or get into dispute of who is better or who did this wrong or that... Every chat forum is different.. Who may be popular on one or two forums, may not be the main subject on another ... I am a fan of several so called fan rivaled skaters <-> (I roll my eyes at that) I may post more in one than the other, perhaps based on the balance I see of the fans mentality... for thought...

I'm a MK and Sasha fan in my own right.. I'm willing not to believe everything on the net... In regards to negative posts: I once fell out of favor with amateur skater, because I believed everything I read on the net, and private hear say that was posted in public.. Yrs later I regret what I felt, because that skater after leaving amateurs was asked about these events and they explained what had happened, and even the people involved admitted this person did not commit this terrible act they were accused of... All that time I hated someone for something they did not do, because I believed of other's gossip on the net (FSU/FSW/RSSIF etc...) and things they heard from sources.. (the information sounded so so true) It's hard to erase what was so incorrectly/wrongfully out of spite said about that person.. that was 1999, I think... That skater has moved onto success in the professional field.. I am happy for them... I learned my lesson.. To this day, I run into fans who intentionally post fabrications on the net or talk backstage, because it was a sense of power. (one fan, I will not name, admitted they lied) Not all what they say was the truth...

Denise..

Last edited:
Any skater who uses the warm up for intimidating or frustrating other competitors is stupid. The skater should be concentrating on his/her own warm-up. Hello, there's a competition about to begin.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's not enough for skaters to concentrate on their own warmups. I think it is incumbent on each skater to check out the positions of other skaters before attempting a major jump or other move that could overlap someone else's space. It's not enough for a skater to assume that everyone else is looking out for him/her. Safety has to be a concern for each and every skater.

Kuchana

On the Ice
chuckm said:
I'm just waiting with bated breath for the next journal entry that explains what went wrong in the FS. Maybe the damp air from the ice storm? Timmy's salty tears melted the ice in that spot? She was having so much fun that she forgot she was about to jump?

LOL! :laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Why when someone defends Sasha, they are considered non fans of MK? What about me? I defend Sasha, I also defend MK... I don't participate on their fan forums or chat boards... Should I be called a non fan because I refuse to chat in their specific forums? I go to one MK forum and chat in the general skating threads. . I own a skater specific forum, and have personally be told by their fans that they personally do not chat there, because they like to be more expressive, and open minded when they chat... Does that make them less a fan? No... I don't believe non of the above makes a person less a fan... I like to watch MK and Sasha skate, I see human beings first in them both... I respect MK for who she conducts herself off ice, and Sasha for her style of skating - we don't know Sasha really off ice. She has not been around that long as MK, for use to really get to know who she is. Just because someone is NOT overtly bias amd are not drooling, does not make them less of an admirer.. Even if Toni is not a fan, where in her posts is the dislike for MK? I think Toni has always posted with tact,consideration and respect.... Some of us are great admirers of skating or a skatear, not Fanaticals...

Seriously...well said. ITA. I really don't get the need for people to generalize and label people as fans of once skater or another.

Oh yeah, also, just because one may not adore MK, doesn't mean they like Sasha!!! And Vice Versa!

R

Rebecca

eternalacer said:
I think I'm gonna puke. How does an elite athlete have a website that exploits themself? She even had a contest for the best christmas story awarding winners "gold" "silver" and "bronze" and everybody else honorable mentions. Who's she to judge? I find her website repulsing.

You're right. She shouldn't have an interactive site at all. How DARE she! Damn her for trying to make an effort and let her fans have a little fun.

lavender

Record Breaker
I'm a big Mk fan and I'm not a Sasha fan but I'm positive there was no wrong doing on Sasha's part. It was just and accident. I truly feel that Michelle and Sasha are now cool with each other. This is not a big deal.

Linny

Final Flight
LOL on warm-up

Hearing about warm-up collisions and near misses in figure skating makes me crack up. My point of view has to do with the warm-up at a horse event. Those are truly big critters and you DON'T want to run into each other.
Linny

eternalacer

Rinkside
I still think it s tacky

Tonichelle said:
aren't all official websites about showing the best of that person(s)??? There are many other skaters that have journals and fun fan things to do. Considering it's her management in charge of the stupid thing there's no doubt it's going to sound very much like bragging :sheesh: get over the whole thing. If you don't like her site, DON'T GO :sheesh:

Yeah but the skaters don t sell themselves and don t put themselves on a pedestal. Fans should do that. And of course she's aiming it at kids because they are less experienced (basically taking advantage of the fact) I went to the website to see what's up with her, i didn't not like her but the more sides i see of her the more i m starting to not like her.

Last edited:

jesslily

Final Flight
Sasha is probably 20 lbs lighter than Michelle. I think Sasha is smart enough to know the consequence when she thought about to block. If the accident happens, Sasha herself will be hurt the most. Larger people or objects produce more force. I don't think Sasha wanted to hurt herself and could not compete her full potential.