Sasha's Journal (spoiler for SP) | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Sasha's Journal (spoiler for SP)

gezando

Final Flight
jesslily said:
Sasha is probably 20 lbs lighter than Michelle. I think Sasha is smart enough to know the consequence when she thought about to block. If the accident happens, Sasha herself will be hurt the most. Larger people or objects produce more force. I don't think Sasha wanted to hurt herself and could not compete her full potential.

IIRC from jr high physics force is not entirely dependent on mass alone.

jesslily

Final Flight
Depending alone on mass or not, I need to consult my husband who has PHd degree in physics, but the force depends on the weight a lot. A 100 lps skater after 3 rotations jump produce about 700 lps force, while a 120 lps skater produce 860 lps force. Certainly the 120 lps skater is much more strong.

I think what counts is momentum, rather than force. Momentum is proportional to the mass times the square of the velocity. So a person half as big but skating twice as fast would easily bowl over a bigger person skating slowly.

Mathman:)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
eternalacer said:
Yeah but the skaters don t sell themselves and don t put themselves on a pedestal. Fans should do that. And of course she's aiming it at kids because they are less experienced (basically taking advantage of the fact) I went to the website to see what's up with her, i didn't not like her but the more sides i see of her the more i m starting to not like her.

Sasha's management runs her site, so they're going to market their product in the best way they know how.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
What I saw from a very good vantage seat was that no one did any cutting off deliberately. Both MK and SC are seasoned skaters and have their own warm-up routine during the warm-up time. It is not that other skaters have to bow to them but if that's what they do than too bad for the other skaters. They have the right to use the ice in their manner of warm-up.

I reiterate my previouis post Sasha did not seem to me to be doing anything deliberately.

Joe

I think we're saying the same thing, just differently... I was sitting behind where the judges sat, and while I didn't see them go up... I did see that it was very difficult for anyone to have a good ammount of space. I am not blaming MK or Sasha... I'm just saying everyone was having difficulty warming up in that group.

Tonichelle said:
I did see that it was very difficult for anyone to have a good ammount of space. I am not blaming MK or Sasha... I'm just saying everyone was having difficulty warming up in that group.
I don't really understand that. Was the rink smaller than what they were used to? Were some of the more inexperienced skaters getting in the way because they haven't learned how to share the ice yet?

I do not understand why experienced world class skaters should all of a sudden have difficulty warming up on the same ice with each other. This is something they do at every competition. Shouldn't they have the hang of it by now?

Mathman

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I have heard from other fans out in Portland that Sasha has been cutting off Kimmie and Katy as well preventing them from completing their jumps in the warm-up.

I think it may appear to look that way but my take is that she is a pushy type of person and just skates her thing with disregard of others. It's not that she is deliberately blocking a skater, it is just that she moves in such a manner that it becomes incumbent on others to steer clear of her.

Joe
That's funny, because I would have said that about Michelle. During practices she did (as she has each year I've seen her) a full run through of her program while someone else's music was playing. That skater should have the right-of-way. I don't think MK was superaggressive or anything, but it shows a certain amount of ... let's call it chutzpah. (It's also pretty cool to see how well she has her music down- though I guess she could have used the practice with the music for her long!)

My husband said to me before any of this happened that Katy Taylor was the one to watch out for, because she didn't seem to cede the ice to anyone. Sure enough, right after the near miss with Sasha, MK and Katy nearly collided. Intention and fault are in the eyes of the beholder I think.

gezando

Final Flight
MK is not the only skater who does run through while someone else music is played, I have seen Sarah and others done it. Unless the utilization of ice surface of the 2 skaters programs make them use the same exact location at the same time, it is a non issue. I have seen men, pairs and dancers do that too.