Senior Men's SP | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Senior Men's SP

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
yes, I do enjoy this competition. Ladies, dance and men's have been jolly good so far. I just wished Canada had deeper pairs field. Oh well.

A bit disappointed with Ken Rose's attempted triple axel not coming through. As he said, that was a duh moment. But, really enjoyed his program and hope he can just keep it up.

First time I've seen Kevin falling on a quad this season. But he was smart enough to tack a 3toe in the next jumping pass to make up for combo.

My highlight was Joey Russell. He is the total package, and when he can get consistency in his 3A, he will be a force to be reckoned with.

Jeremy Ten, good speed across the ice, quick rotations, but really he's gotta get his 3A fixed soon.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do think Sawyer has an excellent shot at bronze again. He seems to own that medal at Nationals and it's typical for him to come back strong in the LP. Last year at Nationals and this season's Skate Canada come to mind as examples.

Tigger

Final Flight
I didn't see it, but Patrick must have been awesome.

He really was. That triple axel was a stunner!! I guess going back to what was working triple axel wise last season has proved so far to be a smart move. Still have the long to come though...Still...It's his to lose.

Well Gang...I've got an early morning tomorrow. It's been fun!!

G'night All!! :)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
And Patrick wins the short program.

As I said he would. He and Oda are the ones to beat IMO. They both have these amazing knees that make the landing of the jumps look like he is landing in water. Wow. Never ceases to impress me.

screech

Final Flight
I just watched Patrick's SP on CBC and all I can say is WOW! That was literally flawless! He nailed everythign with such ease, performed it exquisitely, had outstanding speed... his footwork made me speechless... the footwork into his lutz was awesome!

Wow. I concur with his assessment on his CBC interview Chan blows away field at nationals. If he skates like that in LA, he could definitely contend for a world medal.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Yep! That is Plushenko/Takahashi territory.
When he gets a score like that outside of Nationals, it'll be more meaningful. Evan Lysacek has also gone into Plushy territory at US Nats. Plushenko himself never skated Russian Nationals under CoP; one shudders to think what kind of marks he might have gotten.

Sorry about Fedor, guys. I hope he'll do better in the LP.

lmarie086

Medalist
Patrick Chan was simply amazing, oh my goodness! I think that very well may be my favorite men's SP of the season now.

Hopefully he can repeat that kind of performance in the LP, and then again at the next two competitions!
Glad to see Vaughn Chipeur in second. :clap:

He is really something. What a gorgeous performance. I'm amazed at the smoothness and sheer beauty with which he delivers that intricate footwork. The only place I could fault him are the spins - they don't seem quite as fast or sharp as his other elements. But what a wonderful young champion.

waxel

Final Flight
I'm a Fedor fan too, and disappointed that he faltered. Combatting nerves without having any recent competition experience is tough. Hopefully he'll have a strong LP that will move him up in the standings and give him encouragement to continue training. His doing so will also be a signal to SC and international judges that he is serious and could help establish momentum if he competes in 2010.

Not a fan of Kevin Reynolds' skating. And not only is his costume tragic (no more chiffon flaps on men's costumes please!) but the egg-beater hair isn't helping him establish a more polished look either. Still surprised about the fall on 4s, which he usually owns.

I'm really hoping Shawn will rebound and get on the podium- or at least perhaps place high enough for a 4CC slot?

When Patrick is on- he's hard to beat.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Finally had the chance to look at the protocols, and did anyone else think that Fedor's PCS was a little low? :think: Just for comparison purposes, his PCS was the 3rd highest in both the SP and the LP at last year's Nationals. His PCS for this year's SP was only the 7th highest, and the judges believed that he deserved little more than a point above Kevin on that score. :scratch: It wouldn't make a huge difference in the SP standings (Fedor would only go up by one or two positions), but I still think there's something fishy about his PCS being that close to Kevin.

screech

Final Flight
I was sad with Fedor's jumps but I loved that when he got off the ice right away he said something like "At least I had fun out there." That's a great attitude to have. And he didn't look upset or anything in the K&C, just saying how the axel was weird because it's usually his best jump and how the combo was just stupidity. The camera guys tried to make it look dramatic though, keeping on him as he left the K&C...