2024 Canadian Nationals Senior Men SP | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2024 Canadian Nationals Senior Men SP

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Looking at the results of the short...do I even want to buy the afternoon ticket today? Not sure...but I want to see Sadovskiy and Paradize live.

And I can’t be loud enough to agree more that attitude to competeing with injury and trauma is terrible and should be changed twenty years ago. No, it's not heroic going into a competition on morphine or whatever, and no, it's not praiseworthy to keep stumbling to the end of program etc. Coaches, medical staff and referies should get much, much stricter to protect health, if the athletes are conditioned and brainwashed to ignore their body signaling. Otherwise, it's a problem that keeps feeding itself.

soccerjc77

On the Ice
Which mens have the technical minimum required for the 2 spots for Worlds in Montreal ?

And what Skate Canada will do, if the junior men skating in Senior finish on the podium ?

Does skate canada will send theses junior men to 4CC and choose some of them for Worlds ?

Sackie

Medalist
Really wondering if Skate Canada should only send one man to worlds this year. Then start next year off with a bang by sending our men out more and more and more. I have not watched the archives yet but just looking at the protocols of the men in the top 10 who did not even do a 3A let alone a Quad is telling. We would be lucky if one of these men have a good short at worlds and actually make the free. I read though all the comments to see who I should watch in the archives but now I am not sure I want to watch any. And looking at the protocol sheet and having to scroll so far down to find Conrad and Gogo really was shocking.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Really wondering if Skate Canada should only send one man to worlds this year. Then start next year off with a bang by sending our men out more and more and more. I have not watched the archives yet but just looking at the protocols of the men in the top 10 who did not even do a 3A let alone a Quad is telling. We would be lucky if one of these men have a good short at worlds and actually make the free. I read though all the comments to see who I should watch in the archives but now I am not sure I want to watch any. And looking at the protocol sheet and having to scroll so far down to find Conrad and Gogo really was shocking.
They have two spots, they should send two men. Sending only one, or none, will not fix the problem. If Canada doesn't need two spots for men, then they won't have two spots for men next season after Worlds. If Skate Canada is too embarrassed by what happened last night to send two men, then they should ask themselves why that happened. If they're worried none will make the free, then they should ask themselves why they're having those concerns instead of brushing it off as their men are inconsistent.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
they have to send two men... the chances of keeping the two spots at this point are slim but they are even slimmer with just one man

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Which mens have the technical minimum required for the 2 spots for Worlds in Montreal ?
I think that pretty much all the guys who have been sent out internationally have their minimums... 1) the numbers are easier to get for men in general...2) our men, though they didn't do it yesterday, have quads and triple axels....
And what Skate Canada will do, if the junior men skating in Senior finish on the podium ?
and that is the fun part ;) I always thought Wesley was for sure going to JWC... but now, if he wins the title, it's hard not to send him to senior worlds.
Does skate canada will send theses junior men to 4CC and choose some of them for Worlds ?
Usually, they send the national junior champion and the best age eligible skater to worlds.

My strategy would be to ignore the results of nationals and send Wesley, Conrad and Roman to 4CC... (thinking Gogo is injured and should rest) and pick the best two for senior worlds from that group.
There are results of course in competition but sending guys who don' t have triple axels nor quads to ISU championships is just giving up ahead of time... they won't make the free skate at worlds.... without these tools

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Looking at the results of the short...do I even want to buy the afternoon ticket today? Not sure...but I want to see Sadovskiy and Paradize live.

Probably should go... It seems like when the guys have a terrible SP they skate lights out in the LP.... I am actually worried for Wesley though his lead is huge... will he crumble like he did at Junior worlds last year ?
And I can’t be loud enough to agree more that attitude to competeing with injury and trauma is terrible and should be changed twenty years ago. No, it's not heroic going into a competition on morphine or whatever, and no, it's not praiseworthy to keep stumbling to the end of program etc. Coaches, medical staff and referies should get much, much stricter to protect health, if the athletes are conditioned and brainwashed to ignore their body signaling. Otherwise, it's a problem that keeps feeding itself.
It is early in Calgary : Skate Canada has yet to publish the starting orders for men... so unless social media knows about anything... we don't know if Gogo is competing injured in the LP or has w/d. I hope he w/d.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Probably should go... It seems like when the guys have a terrible SP they skate lights out in the LP.... I am actually worried for Wesley though his lead is huge... will he crumble like he did at Junior worlds last year ?

It is early in Calgary : Skate Canada has yet to publish the starting orders for men... so unless social media knows about anything... we don't know if Gogo is competing injured in the LP or has w/d. I hope he w/d.
Yes, I picked up the tickets. I think that's why we don’t have Sr. Men schedule, they probably wait for Gogo to confirm WD. I hope he will, because we all know he can jump triples...if he is not injured.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Btw, I'm happy Misha Mogilen had such a good SP. He used to skate at Moskvich as a Junior, and I'm attached to the Moskvich boys past and present. He vanished in the wilderness after his move to Canada for a bit, but maybe he can still go places.

brblja

Rinkside
This makes me wonder even more why Cory Cicerlli (I’m probably butchering the name) switched from Canada to Italy after last season.
Honestly, the seeing the Canadian Fed policies re: sending skaters to comps to get experience vs Italian Fed? No wonder he switched. In Italy, even if he doesn't make the top 2/3 to be sent to major championships, he's still going get international assignments and that would likely make all the difference. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This makes me wonder even more why Cory Cicerlli (I’m probably butchering the name) switched from Canada to Italy after last season.
Corey never placed higher than 4th at Canadian Nationals. The pressure felt by our guys is detrimental to them performing well at Nationals. I have never seen as many pops from the front runners in a SP.

The reason is simple : if you don't perform well enough at Nationals, you entire year is over and your next season will most likely be over too because you won't score enough points to be selected for GPs.

Skaters from many other countries, especially in Europe, will still get senior Bs and Challengers no matter how they place at Nationals. That way, they can earn more opportunities and they have many chances to do so. Look at Sasha Selevko. Even Adam has competed several times this season.

Our men : only one competed a decent amount of events... Strangely, he is in first place right now.

Corey did okay at Italian Nationals. There is no guarantee he would have skated with the same poise in this environment.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
With Grassl out and Matteo apparently suffering from a serious hip injury and looking at months of no skating ahead, we might see Corey at Europeans sooner than expected.
Don't get me wrong, I hope Matteo has the quickest and smoothest recovery possible, but his ultimate goal are likely the 2026 Olympics and he might want to skip some "less important" competitions on the way there.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
With Grassl out and Matteo apparently suffering from a serious hip injury and looking at months of no skating ahead, we might see Corey at Europeans sooner than expected.
Don't get me wrong, I hope Matteo has the quickest and smoothest recovery possible, but his ultimate goal are likely the 2026 Olympics and he might want to skip some "less important" competitions on the way there.
If Canada releases Corey. Corey did compete at 4CC : rules say 2 years for skaters having done so. Which means that Daniel and Matteo could be back in full force by the time Corey is released.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I skipped Canadian men last night in real time because I was all "skated out".

Oy:dbana:

It seems at least like Anthony Paradis lived? (on his terms). Can I rewatch him (watch) without qualms?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I skipped Canadian men last night in real time because I was all "skated out".

Oy:dbana:

It seems at least like Anthony Paradis lived? (on his terms). Can I rewatch him (watch) without qualms?
You can rewatch him easily.

Our men were outskated by Skate Canada not sending them out enough...