2024 Canadian Nationals Senior Men SP | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2024 Canadian Nationals Senior Men SP

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I lost track of how many times I 🤦‍♂️ during the last group. I can only hope the FS is better. I was laughing at Katelyn and Ted struggling to say positive things after all the pops and falls. I hope Gogolev withdraws, he's looking like he's got back pain.

I loved the choreo on Romsky's program though. Good for Wesley, he's not the most engaging but he delivered.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Of course, we haven't seen the LPs yet.. .but at this point, for the 2 spots at worlds, Skate Canada has very little choice but select the top two from 4CC... yet.. we need to know whom they will send... but yeah.. Nationals is only revealing one thing : our skaters were not ready for it.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From the GS Twitter feed:

Following Stephen Gogolev’s laboured short program performance to “The Sound of Silence” by Distributed-Immortalized” in which he managed no successful triple or quadruple jumps, his coach Lee Barkell advised that the 2023 Autumn Classic bronze medalist is nursing a “flare up in his back” which started four days ago. Gogolev did not practice today and only landed doubles in the warm up. Barkell said they are assessing his health “minute by minute” and “the intention is to keep going” and “keep him in a good mindset.” He scored 53.80 in the SP and sits in 13th place. Gogolev is reportedly getting ongoing physiotherapy in Calgary.

My two cents: What the hell is wrong with coaches and/or federations for allowing high performance skaters to take the ice when they are physically (or otherwise) unwell? He wasn't able to even attend practice today, and could only do doubles in the warmup... and they DIDN'T pull the plug... but instead sent him on the ice to attempt a two-quad short program? And you STILL intend to keep going?

This borders on malpractice.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada

Following Stephen Gogolev’s laboured short program performance to “The Sound of Silence” by Distributed-Immortalized” in which he managed no successful triple or quadruple jumps, his coach Lee Barkell advised that the 2023 Autumn Classic bronze medalist is nursing a “flare up in his back” which started four days ago. Gogolev did not practice today and only landed doubles in the warm up. Barkell said they are assessing his health “minute by minute” and “the intention is to keep going” and “keep him in a good mindset.” He scored 53.80 in the SP and sits in 13th place. Gogolev is reportedly getting ongoing physiotherapy in Calgary.

My two cents: What the hell is wrong with coaches and/or federations for allowing high performance skaters to take the ice when they are physically (or otherwise) unwell? He wasn't able to even attend practice today, and could only do doubles in the warmup... and they DIDN'T pull the plug... but instead sent him on the ice to attempt a two-quad short program? And you STILL intend to keep going?

A flare up in his back makes it sound like this isn't the first time. He isn't going to magically get better for tomorrow after skating like this today! However much they want to replicate that 2023 free skate, he's injured. He's 19, he has more to life than skating, clearly has a lot of interests outside of it judging by his ISU bio, this is not worth it!

BearryBear

On the Ice
Country
Canada

That's nothing compared to a dance team at Euros today that said she is recovering from a head injury and she is still struggling to do basic things like counting and reading but they're glad they made the free program 🤦‍♀️

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Of course, we haven't seen the LPs yet.. .but at this point, for the 2 spots at worlds, Skate Canada has very little choice but select the top two from 4CC... yet.. we need to know whom they will send... but yeah.. Nationals is only revealing one thing : our skaters were not ready for it.
I honestly wonder what they are doing if a coach knew that Stephen had a back injury and was attempting a 2 quad short program. They had to know Stephen wasn't at practices. Or that this would be Roman's first real competition this season. Or that by their rules, Conrad would be skating last while having had only one real high pressure competition this season at SCI. Of course Wesley did better, he had four international competitions this season and now it's a matter of which championships he'll be going to next.

They had to know something wasn't working last year when there were the same issues with men under-performing in the short. But did they make any changes, who knows :shrug:

rain

Record Breaker

It begs the question, what did they think was going to happen in the long program if he had been able to somehow pull out a good short? Not skating would have been a better option, clearly. His team made a terrible decision.

That's nothing compared to a dance team at Euros today that said she is recovering from a head injury and she is still struggling to do basic things like counting and reading but they're glad they made the free program 🤦‍♀️
Seriously? That's horrific. As much as I miss Lajoie/Lagha here, I'm glad to know there's a protocol for concussion that's preventing her from skating. This is how you suffer a permanent brain injury. Where is the adult in the room?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I honestly wonder what they are doing if a coach knew that Stephen had a back injury and was attempting a 2 quad short program. They had to know Stephen wasn't at practices. Or that this would be Roman's first real competition this season. Or that by their rules, Conrad would be skating last while having had only one real high pressure competition this season at SCI. Of course Wesley did better, he had four international competitions this season and now it's a matter of which championships he'll be going to next.

They had to know something wasn't working last year when there were the same issues with men under-performing in the short. But did they make any changes, who knows :shrug:
💯 agree.. couldn't have said it better.

when conrad expressed major concerns about his seasons, they could have helped him out... they tried with Roman.. but it ddidn't work out. they sort of succeeded with wesley so maybe that will help them out in the future

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

when conrad expressed major concerns about his seasons, they could have helped him out... they tried with Roman.. but it ddidn't work out. they sort of succeeded with wesley so maybe that will help them out in the future
Maybe Canada should save the money and not send anyone to worlds for men? I know that is mean. But this is just horrible. What a mess. Granted Gogo really looked like he was struggling. I am amazed he tried to skate at all. Wesley was the best of the worst. Roman of course couldn't pull off the miracle having not competed. But the three favourits are like 7th 10th and 13th at Nats in a weak year. Maybe it is time to say good bye to the High Performance Director or maybe he should skate.?

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada

It's easier for them to brush it off as the Canadian men are inconsistent. They're inconsistent everywhere, it's just that those other men get more chances to compete all season. That's what happens when they go for high risk/high reward content. It takes time to get that magical unicorn consistency.

I'm just annoyed after tonight after hearing the head of one of the sections begin the preview of the day by talking about how the men are inconsistent. Really, what's your section doing to change that then?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It's easier for them to brush it off as the Canadian men are inconsistent. They're inconsistent everywhere, it's just that those other men get more chances to compete all season. That's what happens when they go for high risk/high reward content. It takes time to get that magical unicorn consistency.

I'm just annoyed after tonight after hearing the head of one of the sections begin the preview of the day by talking about how the men are inconsistent. Really, what's your section doing to change that then?
which section ? cannot be quebec because we are a non-factor here...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
So much doom and gloom. Did no one watch that notorious cactus, A. Selevko, lay it down at Euros today?

If he can do it, Canadian men can too.
let's see how many international competitions sasha got this season :) and compare it to conrad and roman.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
let's see how many international competitions sasha got this season :) and compare it to conrad and roman.
Sasha did quite a few, the Selevko brothers always do (Estonia seems to have a good federation), and the brother didn't reach the FS, and sasha showed a little miracle in being consistent throughout. He did do many more comp's than Conrad and Roman.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Sasha did quite a few, the Selevko brothers always do (Estonia seems to have a good federation), and the brother didn't reach the FS, and sasha showed a little miracle in being consistent throughout. He did do many more comp's than Conrad and Roman.
exactly my point... Sometimes, with these guys, since they are so inconsistent, it's the one competition that goes well that can trigger the confidence for the next ones... but if they don't get out often enough, they never get that experience of success.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I've missed Men's SP and just looked at results...SO.MANY.QUESTIONS.
:oops:
Seeing Anthony Paradis sitting in 3rd is clearly a surprise for me (who really caught my eye last season live at JGP in Gdańsk, also did he age out of juniors already? I'm so out of the loop...) - now I have to watch the stream and see all what has happened it seems...Judging from comments there it wasn't pretty, it will sound trivial, but - let's hope for stronger outcomes today.