Senior OD-Please post all comments and PBP here | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Senior OD-Please post all comments and PBP here

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
does anyone know why Tanith is wearing the dress she has for the OD? That's the same dress she wore in 2006 Nationals for the CD (Yankee Polka)... seems that dress is just destined to be the one that just doesn't fit the music/theme.

samba

On the Ice
does anyone know why Tanith is wearing the dress she has for the OD? That's the same dress she wore in 2006 Nationals for the CD (Yankee Polka)... seems that dress is just destined to be the one that just doesn't fit the music/theme.[/QUOTE

I think it's not the same dress, slightly different. However, I agree that the costume was out of line with the music. I guess it's one of Linichuk's style?? Same as Dom/Sha, which are quite painful to watch :laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's definitely the same dress... I don't see anything that's altered on it (save for the dumb hat)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
B&A's outfit.

It's a late 40's/early 50's look. It reminds me of an outfit that one of the characters in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1952) wore in the scenes in France. Beret and all.

Which makes sense, because it's supposed to be a 40's look. BTW, this is not Fred & Ginger, this is Fred & Judy Garland (Easter Parade, I think) which was 1946 or 1948. I don't remember. In any case, Fred is an experienced dancer who swears he can get any chorus dancer in a cheap club into the big time. The chorus dancer he picks is Judy Garland. Why they're using the Liza Minelli music is a mystery, though. Why not just use the Easter Parade version of Stepping Out?

missysays

On the Ice
It's a late 40's/early 50's look. It reminds me of an outfit that one of the characters in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1952) wore in the scenes in France. Beret and all.

Which makes sense, because it's supposed to be a 40's look. BTW, this is not Fred & Ginger, this is Fred & Judy Garland (Easter Parade, I think) which was 1946 or 1948. I don't remember. In any case, Fred is an experienced dancer who swears he can get any chorus dancer in a cheap club into the big time. The chorus dancer he picks is Judy Garland. Why they're using the Liza Minelli music is a mystery, though. Why not just use the Easter Parade version of Stepping Out?

Dorispulaski, is the reference to Easter Parade a connection that you are making for B/A based on watching the Steppin' Out movie or is it something that they talked about somewhere?

Because I respectfully wonder about the connection. I don't think that they were intending to reference it to the Easter Parade. Because if they were why is Ben still dressed in just a white suit jacket that has no "period" style whatsoever to it. If anything it's vaguely 1980s- Miami Vice- though that's probably not intentional. I have a feeling that Tanith went back to an old dress that was vaguely period-ish because that was the main thing she had without actually having to start over and design a new outfit in the midst of all that competition traveling. And the reason they're not using the original Easter Parade is because they really didn't think about the period connection outside of thinking that if it was "tap" in genre it must somehow fit into 20s-40s.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
missysays, you could be right. With all the style changing, they could have just pulled 5 elements out of nowhere (well maybe out of the mind of Linichuk) and said we'll call it a dance.

The Easter Parade elements emanate from the Liza Minelli clip and B&A might only be doing a copy of a copy without knowing what they are copying. But it would be rather unlike them, as they have thoroughly researched their previous OD's and have talked about that.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think Ben's costume isn't that bad... it's the full beard/unkept look that screams Miami Vice to me lol

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Would love to hear from anyone who think DomShabs's skate deserved the marks. Otherwise, it's all just TOO depressing.

All I'm hearing is slow, labored, and even "dodgy" on the elements. Anyone feel their placement was deserved?

Thanks.

beep_beep

Medalist
I think Ben's costume isn't that bad... it's the full beard/unkept look that screams Miami Vice to me lol

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking something like that :)

...it looked like something out of a Duran Duran video :laugh:

Shallow, shallow note, I know... (I haven't watched GPF ODs yet...)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Tanith and Ben could wear papersacks, though, and still be too attractive for their own good... :)

missysays

On the Ice
The Easter Parade elements emanate from the Liza Minelli clip and B&A might only be doing a copy of a copy without knowing what they are copying. But it would be rather unlike them, as they have thoroughly researched their previous OD's and have talked about that.

Or the "research" on their previous OD's was actually indicative of Igor/Marina's planning and knowledge of music and dance history and not B/A themselves at all. (Look at D/W's really authentic music and choreography OD selection this year. And say what you will about Igor's choreography his ODs are always pretty effective.)

When Tanith starts to talk about music and musical history in interviews it's obvious that she's still learning about different composers etc. For example, when she talked about their beautiful 2007-2008 Chopin FD she said when she listened to that music she really liked it but she didn't know who it was until the rest of her team told her it was Chopin. She makes a great joke of it. Which is fine but it makes me wonder if they just trusted Linichuk to figure something out for them not realizing that she didn't quite have the fundamental understanding of American musical history.

This all pure conjecture but interesting to think about nonetheless. How people in the sport have different levels of interpretation and artistic understanding.

Sort of like the disconnect when Tarasova didn't understand why people thought that Kulik's loud yellow and black shirt that she designed for his Olympic FS was garish and looked like a giraffe. She had meant it to look like a young man walking through the reflected lights and buildings of NY city.

lmarie086

Medalist
^Actually Marina was responsible for D/W's OD, but I know what you're getting at.

I just found B/A's OD and well...they skated clean with lots of expression. IMO they're starting to look more comfortable again. It's the OD itself that I have a problem with; I like B/A but I'm questioning this OD. Going along with the discussion between doris and missysays, this OD is a big stretch IMO. And it's still not enough tap; it really does look more like a waltz.

That said, I hope he recovers quickly!