Skater gets cold shoulder (by USFS)- article | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skater gets cold shoulder (by USFS)- article

R.D.

Record Breaker
And quite appropriately, IMHO. Sasha and Michelle might not be there.

which is probably exactly why they are not there. No use touting someone who may or may not be there. Better to showcase the "new kids" who are the future. Plus, not that MK and SC didn't get their own share of promotions for past events...

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
With regards to everyone who says "sexual orientation has nothing to do with it" for the whole Johnny vs Evan thing...no, of course it doesn't. They are both gay. :agree:

psycho

On the Ice
soogar said:
And Evan was the skater with the standout performance at the Olympics. That's the event most people see anyway.
Yes, his short program was glorious.;)

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Cold shoulder?

I don't think all the hype does the young ones a lot of good. Evan mentioned this year that he was having some difficulty dealing with the expectations because of his World medal last year. I hate to see all the pressure they will put on Kimmie based on her win this year. She had a 3A (sort of) but stopped practicing that because of back pain (stated in an article). Will she be able to do triple/triples next year -who knows. Wouldn't it be better to spread the attention around? After all, Michelle hasn't announced a decision and Sasha just announed she is staying in.

It just worries me when all the attention is focused on the up and comers...so many expectation and demands can rob them of focus and training time.

JMO
Maureen

password

On the Ice
Didn't feel like making a new thread for this, but is Weir a lefty?
And also...do skaters always do spirals on the same foot? or do righties stay on their right and lefties on their left?

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Johnny got cold shoulder? ..... I diddn't realize until this Marshall's that I love his skating so much. The posture, line and flow, just awsome. USFS can give the cold shoulder all they want, and driving out certain fans.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Well, I think it makes sense. I doubt sexual orientation play(ed) a role in this decision. I don't have a problem with it. But it sure makes for good controversy...

I don't think it did either. I think it is more that Johnny has no really alliance with the USA. He skates for himself via the US - I don't think he would argue that either. You get what you give sometimes, and definitely when it IS what you WANT to get.

Mathman said:
Personally, setting the gay/flamboyant/mouthy issue aside, I can see why Evan is prominently featured. He was the highest American male skater at the Olympics and at both the 2005 and 2006 worlds.

Maybe they are looking at Kimmie and Evan as the new fresh-faced all-American kids.

MM

And there you go, perfectly legitimate and extremely reasonable.

BTW. I love the way the guy skates, a lovely form of masculine - no macho crap. Makes me think of...
http://www.hwbhost.com/images/hello kitty ferr.jpg

harmonie

Rinkside
Theatregirl1122 said:
IIRC, people get so impatient that, this year they put up a new banner with the old syncro champions and changed it after syncro championships. People were quite upset over there for a while. I suppose it's about the same as Sasha and Michelle were in 2004 and 2005, Michelle was the National Champion and Sasha was the top skater internationally.

Ah, ok, I didn't know of this tradition of featuring in the banner the national champions instead of the top skaters, now I understand, although it is pretty unfair IMO.

harmonie

Rinkside
MFarone said:
I don't think all the hype does the young ones a lot of good. Evan mentioned this year that he was having some difficulty dealing with the expectations because of his World medal last year. I hate to see all the pressure they will put on Kimmie based on her win this year.
(...)
It just worries me when all the attention is focused on the up and comers...so many expectation and demands can rob them of focus and training time.

Maureen, I agree with you that pressure is a difficult thing to deal with, but the young ones have to learn how to cope because it goes with being at the top of the game.
Evan certainly had problems with pressure this season, and blew his sp both at Olys and Worlds, but he was able to fight back with amazing performances in the LPs. This season have been a big growing experience to him, and I think that next season he will be ready to fight for the gold.
And certainly the pressure didn't affect his training or focus... And from the little I've seen of her I think that Kimmie next season will go the same way as Evan, because both of them have fire inside and are great competitors.
And anyway, IMO it would be worse for them not to see their accomplishments being rewarded as they should...

Wolfgang

On the Ice
I think all the 'new kids on the block/latest & greatest' comments are correct, Kimmie, Evan, and Belbin/Agosto are the future, which is why they may be showcased more so than others, especially in the US, a country with a notoriously short attention span and extreme love of new over old.

Password - I think as far as spirals go, most comp level skaters can probably do both left and right about equally well, spinning is a different story, there's only a few who can spin both directions with equal control/speed.
Backwards or forwards makes a difference as well, some things are easier forward, others easier backwards.

harmonie said:
Ah, ok, I didn't know of this tradition of featuring in the banner the national champions instead of the top skaters, now I understand, although it is pretty unfair IMO.
Harmonie, there are two different web sites being discussed on this thread. The main page of USFS has the US champions in the five disciplines, as it always has.

The event page for next year's contest is the one that features Evan and Kimmie.

So I don't see any controversy or big deal.

MM :)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Just for the record: when I first clicked on the website for Spokane Nats, Johnny's picture was not there; the pictures you saw on the home page were the Americans who did best at Worlds. Some people, however, clicked on every page of that website -- Sasha's picture did show up, as did Michelle, but no Johnny. Then there were a few e-mails to Spokane (excluding him was rude, if nothing else) and Johnny's picture was added.

The more I think about, though, the more I wonder why people were checking out each link on the website -- which is the only way (IMO) that someone would discover that Johnny's picture was completely omitted. Sounds to me like someone is setting up a controversy deliberately-- with the USFSA kissing up to the "right wing" and Johnny playing up to the left.

Last edited:
attyfan said:
Sounds to me like someone is setting up a controversy deliberately-- with the USFSA kissing up to the "right wing" and Johnny playing up to the left.
I love it! They're doing a Nancy/Tonya on us to stir up publicity for the Big Showdown in Spokane! :rock:

attyfan said:
The more I think about, though, the more I wonder why people were checking out each link on the website -- which is the only way (IMO) that someone would discover that Johnny's picture was completely omitted. Sounds to me like someone is setting up a controversy deliberately-- with the USFSA kissing up to the "right wing" and Johnny playing up to the left.
From what I understand, Spokane is strictly a RED NECK city and quite the opposite of Seattle which is super liberal. The Spokane civic officials just may perceive Johnny as not their athletic hero. What'll they do if he wins the Nats?

Joe

pollyls

Rinkside
harmonie said:
The USFA site has a banner were there is Weir and not Lysacek (!!!!)

That is because Weir is still the reigning US champ. I watched as the banner changed up after Nationals. If J. We does not win Nationals in 2007, I figure he'll disappear from the USFSA banner.

Wolfgang

On the Ice
I reckon the right wing as well as the left wing are both on the same goofy, flightless bird......:)