skater nicknames and what fans call skaters | Golden Skate

skater nicknames and what fans call skaters

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
This thread was born out of a conversation about Diana Davis in Alina Zagitova's Fan Fest.

hippomoomin had commented about how much Diana looks like her mother (Eteri Tutberidze), and in reply russianfan posted a link to a video about the nicknames of Russian skaters, which said that Diana's nickname is actually “Eteri Junior”.

Unfortunately, the video was entirely in Cyrillic, with no translation. But, AKTKN very kindly offered to translate the video.

And that started me thinking. Back in the 2011-12 season, there was a thread on here about skaters' nicknames. So, perhaps it was time for a new edition.

So, to start, below are the translations of two videos containing the nicknames of Russian skaters.

All translations were done by AKTKN :bow: :clap: :points:

I should warn you: Having read through the lists, I am starting to think that some of these are not the skaters' actual nicknames, but rather what they are called by members of Russian fora. Because some of them are more than a bit tongue-in-cheek, and I just cannot imagine somebody using these particular ones to the person’s face. (Well, not if they don’t want to get slapped!)

But, it is still very interesting to read through.

! - marks those which have some video clues

Ladies ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAYMIutCGhc )

TranslationCyrillic
NameNicknameNameNickname
Stanislava KonstantinovaGoose ! ("Goose" card on her forehead)Станислава КонстантиноваГусь !
Elena RadionovaCipollinoЕлена РадионоваЧиполлино
Alina ZagitovaHamster, PantherАлина ЗагитоваХомяк, Пантера
Polina TsurskayaGrechka (Buckwheat, Greek?), TsuryaПолина ЦурскаяГречка, Цуря
Amina AtakhanovaAnimaАмина АтахановаАнима
Anastasia LavrinaChipmunkАнастасия ЛавринаБурундук
Alexandra BoikovaJar Jar Binks !Александра БойковаДжа Джа Бинкс !
Ekaterina MitrofanovaInsiderЕкатерина МитрофановаИнсайдер
Anastasia GubanovaGuban (One with big lips)Анастасия ГубановаГубан
Anastasia KolomietsKolo, ArrowАнастасия КоломиецКоло, Стрелка
Vasilisa DavankovaGerontophilВасилиса ДаванковаГеронтофилка
Diana JumaevaJuma, PandaДиана ДжумаеваДжумай, Панда
Diana DavisEteri JuniorДиана ДэвисEteri Junior
Alisa EfimovaAlice, Finca (Finnish, Finnish knife?)Алиса ЕфимоваЭлис, Финка
Elena Ilinykh* Censorship *Елена Ильиных*Цензура*
Alsu KayumovaDesuАлсу КаюмоваДесу
Lina FedorovaLinych, 1.5, SixtyNineЛина ФедороваЛиныч, Полторашка, СикстиНайн
Victoria BezrukovaSingle (Loner?)Виктория БезруковаОдиночка
Lina KudryavtsevaCrooked TeethЛина КудрявцеваКривозубик
Julia LipnitskayaLipa (Lime)Юлия ЛипницкаяЛипа
Alisa LozkoNekoАлиса ЛозкоNeko
Anastasia RoslyakovaSnort-SnortАнастасия РосляковаФыр-Фыр
Evgenia MedvedevBear, Mushroom (got her score overbuffed?), Moonish, Sailor MoonЕвгения МедведеваМедведь, Грибница, Лунная, Сейлор Мун
Maria SotskovaWatto !(look alike?)Мария СотсковаWatto !
Elizaveta TuktamyshevaTuktik, SausageЕлизавета ТуктамышеваТуктик, Сосиска
Victoria NosikovaRebelВиктория НосиковаБунтарка
Elizaveta NugumanovaNougat, Princess, CarpЕлизавета НугумановаНуга, Принцесса, Карась
Elena PavlovaLittle SparrowЕлена ПавловаВоробушек
Daria PanenkovaPanic, Crunch-CrunchДарья ПаненковаПаник, Хрум-Хрум
Diana PervushkinaXenaДиана ПервушкинаЗена
Anna PogorilayaPogo, Kit-KatАнна ПогорилаяПого, Кит-Кат
Anastasia PoluyanovaPolyanaАнастасия ПолуяноваПоляна
Alexandra ProklovaOmen, Satan, Mini MouseАлександра ПрокловаОмен, Сатана, Мини Маус
Serafima SahanovichSima, Little Sugar, KhalisiСерафима СахановичСима, Сахарочек, Кхалиси
Alina SolovyovaSoloveyka (Nightingale), ToadАлина СоловьёваСоловейка, Жаба
Adelina SotnikovaDelya, Sotka (Hundred)Аделина СотниковаДеля, Сотка
Daria SushaChakki, ResinДарья СушаЧакки, Смола

Guys ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNqPD3Ho6Xw )

TranslationCyrillic
NameNicknameNameNickname
Maxim TrankovInsolentМаксим ТраньковБорзый
Alexander SmirnovGrandfatherАлександр СмирновДедуля
Dmitry KozlovskyDanilaДмитрий КозловскийДанила
Vladimir SamoylovHomunculus, BuckwheatВладимир СамойловГомункул, Греча
Alexander SamarinIvanushka, SamaraАлександр СамаринИванушка, Самара
Adian PitkeevWhinerАдьян ПиткеевНытик
Dmitry SopotShovel, Pal Palych !(some mem with finger in it)Дмитрий СопотЛопата, Пал Палыч !
Alexander PetrovPartymakerАлександр ПетровПатимейкер
Mikhail KolyadaSiberian, TomatoМихаил КолядаСибиряк, Помидор
Maxim KovtunLaker, Martyr, Palych (Patronymic)Максим КовтунЛакер, Мученик, Палыч
Alexey ErokhovDangerous !Алексей ЕроховОпасный
Fedor KlimovIntelligentФёдор КлимовИнтеллигент
Nikita KatsalapovBrad PittНикита КацалаповБред Питт
Peter HumenmenBarbarisПётр ГуменникБарбарис
Sergey VoronovDianochka ! (Little Diana / Hello Dianochka, I'm also Dianochka)Сергей ВороновДианочка ! (привет Дианочка, я тоже Дианочка)
Nikita VolodinJuan Roman RiquelmeНикита ВолодинХуан Роман Рикельме
Dmitry AlievWolverine, YakutДмитрий АлиевРосомаха, Якут
Ilya SkirdaAlfa (pretending to be Alfa?)Илья СкирдаАльфач
Ilya SpiridonovTraitorИлья СпиридоновПредатель

So, has anybody got any other (*real*) nicknames of skaters?

CaroLiza_fan

P.S. One particular translation has just made me decide that now would be a good time to post another thread that I have been saving up for the past few weeks…

mrrice

Record Breaker
I don't know if this is Elvis Stojko's real nickname but.......me and my group of friends called him "Sparkplug" He was powerful, compact, and full of energy. That's a name I would give to Max Arron as well.

AKTKN

Rinkside
I should warn you: Having read through the lists, I am starting to think that some of these are not the skaters' actual nicknames, but rather what they are called by members of Russian fora. Because some of them are more than a bit tongue-in-cheek, and I just cannot imagine somebody using these particular ones to the person’s face. (Well, not if they don’t want to get slapped!)

Indeed. You can see in the video how shocked Zagitova and Gubanova were.

So, has anybody got any other (*real*) nicknames of skaters?

It seems they call each other mostly by name or surname. I don't remember anyone using actual nickname.

And sorry for leaving all the formating to you. It looks great.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Indeed. You can see in the video how shocked Zagitova and Gubanova were.

Ah! That's what Zagitova's reaction was about! I didn't realise (English speaker here :slink: ).

As for Gubanova, yeah, now that I know what it means, I totally understand why she was annoyed. But, to a non-Russian speaker, it did seem like the obvious thing to use as a nickname for her (shortened version of her real surname).

It seems they call each other mostly by name or surname. I don't remember anyone using actual nickname.

Just like us when we are trying to be formal. ;) :biggrin:

And sorry for forcing all the formating upon you. It looks great.

No need to apologise. I just thought that if the OP looked too long that it was scare people from reading it. So, that is why I combined turned your four lists into two tables.

Not sure if it will look great when the advert is inserted, though...

CaroLiza_fan

russianfan

Match Penalty

exactly :laugh: i would say most of those "nicknames" used just to make fun of a skater, criticize her/him, or to insult her/his fans. Still funny though. Also you can notice that the more the skater has achieved the more respectful nicknames are becoming :laugh:

P.S. also for those who don't know why Pogo has "Kit-Kat" nickname - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DSN4bicRDo :laugh:
(basically she was trying to make a joke when she was asked about Lipnitskaya withdraw from competition - "she just made a break... ate Kit-Kat, you know" :laugh:)

tars

Record Breaker
P.S. also for those who don't know why Pogo has "Kit-Kat" nickname - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DSN4bicRDo :laugh:
(basically she was trying to make a joke when she was asked about Lipnitskaya withdraw from competition - "she just made a break... ate Kit-Kat, you know" :laugh:)
That comment was as funny and proper as her 2017 Worlds performance. :sarcasm:
Her former rink-partner Julia was in pain and despair, while she was making jokes about her in front of cameras, only because she didn't like the media attention being directed at somebody else. "Why do you ask about her? I won! Me, me, me!"
That was the day I've lost much of my respect to Anna. :scowl:

ioanna

Record Breaker
Some of the Japanese skaters' real nicknames (that I know of)

Shizuka Arakawa - Shii-chan
Akiko Suzuki - Akko
Kanako Murakami - Kana
Yukari Nakano - Yukarin
Satoko Miyahara - Satton
Wakaba Higuchi - Wakababy
Daisuke Takahashi - Dai-chan
Yuzuru Hanyu - Yuzu-kun
Tatsuki Machida - Macchi

tars

Record Breaker
Some of the Japanese skaters' real nicknames (that I know of)

Shizuka Arakawa - Shii-chan
Akiko Suzuki - Akko
Kanako Murakami - Kana
Yukari Nakano - Yukarin
Satoko Miyahara - Satton
Wakaba Higuchi - Wakababy
Daisuke Takahashi - Dai-chan
Yuzuru Hanyu - Yuzu-kun
Tatsuki Machida - Macchi
There are many nicknames for foreign skaters in the comment under OP video, for instance: Marin - Няшка (Babe) and Satoko - Читоко (Cheatoko). :laugh:

ioanna

Record Breaker
There are many nicknames for foreign skaters in the comment under OP video, for instance: Marin - Няшка (Babe) and Satoko - Читоко (Cheatoko). :laugh:

I thought the thread was about real nicknames so I didn't bother checking, much less attempting to translate the comments under the OP video. But thanks to your heads-up, now I know they're all derogatory and/or age inappropriate so I can stay away. :agree:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Scott Moir referred to Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron as G & G when talking to Patrice in the SD KnC at NHK.

lynneheintz

Spectator
Zhenya. I may not have spelled that right but that nickname confuses me. I think I have seen it on the boards referring to Plushenko, Medvedeva and Radionova. I would appreciate it if someone could clarify.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Zhenya. I may not have spelled that right but that nickname confuses me. I think I have seen it on the boards referring to Plushenko, Medvedeva and Radionova. I would appreciate it if someone could clarify.

"Zhenya" is a nickname in Russian for either Evgeni, or Evgenia. The name translates to English as Eugene, or Eugenie. The soft "G" sound occurs at the beginning in the nickname "Zhenya." Once I realized that last bit, it all made sense to me. I don't know whether Evgeni and Evgenia are pronounced in Russian with hard "G" sound or soft "G" sound, but I'm guessing soft. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Radionova's given name is Elena, and I believe some call her Lena or Lenok.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think Masha is a common use for Maria. I know Maria B. was called Masha at times. I guess it's kind of like going from Kathrine to Kate.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

Evgenia (Евгения), Evgeni (Евгений)---> Zhenya (Женя) like John----> Johnny, Joseph----> Joe, etc.

AKTKN

Rinkside
"Zhenya" is a nickname in Russian for either Evgeni, or Evgenia. The name translates to English as Eugene, or Eugenie. The soft "G" sound occurs at the beginning in the nickname "Zhenya." Once I realized that last bit, it all made sense to me. I don't know whether Evgeni and Evgenia are pronounced in Russian with hard "G" sound or soft "G" sound, but I'm guessing soft. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Radionova's given name is Elena, and I believe some call her Lena or Lenok.

If you want to know, how to pronounce them, I recommend you to use Google Translater. "Женя. Евгения. Евгений."
Zhenya and Lena are standart shortcuts for Evgeina and Elena and you can actually use them unless the person you speak with is much older than you. Lenok should probably be reserved for friends.

TGee

Record Breaker
I think Masha is a common use for Maria. I know Maria B. was called Masha at times. I guess it's kind of like going from Kathrine to Kate.

Masha it is....and it's one of the names like Katya, Lena, Sasha, Zhenya, Alyosha that appear frequently in Russian children's reading primers.

Masha and the Bear a well known folktale, but there is also Masha and the 3 bears...

Masha and the Bear has been rebooted into a hysterically, wild animated children's series ...available in English on Netflix...

https://www.youtube.com/user/MashaBearEN