skater nicknames and what fans call skaters | Page 4 | Golden Skate

skater nicknames and what fans call skaters

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... There is nothing but lazyness and ignorance.

... Why can't i my doubts?

You can have your doubts, and you can post your doubts.
I do not know whether Zagitova would like or dislike the nickname of Zagi. Or whether she would have no opinion at all one way or the other.

I can (and do) strongly disagree with your sweeping (and ridiculous, IMO) generalization that "There is nothing but lazyness [sic] and ignorance." At the time, you cited "Shibs" and "Yuzu," among other nicknames.

I do have a problem with the content in the OP of this thread. Some of the nicknames there seem to be borne from mean-spiritedness, which I do not condone.
And I am getting the impression from the thread that most of the nicknames in the OP are not in common usage among Russian fans, and instead merely happen to be in the videos produced by one person. Unlike CL_fan, I do not find it "interesting" or thread-worthy that one person who made videos has a mean streak.

But I see no reason to assume laziness and ignorance on the part of anyone (in the "community") who uses nicknames that are shortened versions of a longer name.
And I see no reason to assume a lack of love, affection, and good humor.
Your post came across as making automatic assumptions.

I have not liked this thread from the outset, and it is going from bad to worse.
So going forward, I will try not to post further.

AKTKN

Rinkside
You can have your doubts, and you can post your doubts.
I do not know whether Zagitova would like or dislike the nickname of Zagi. Or whether she would have no opinion at all one way or the other.

I can (and do) strongly disagree with your sweeping (and ridiculous, IMO) generalization that "There is nothing but lazyness [sic] and ignorance." At the time, you cited "Shibs" and "Yuzu," among other nicknames.

I do have a problem with the content in the OP of this thread. Some of the nicknames there seem to be borne from mean-spiritedness, which I do not condone.
And I am getting the impression from the thread that most of the nicknames in the OP are not in common usage among Russian fans, and instead merely happen to be in the videos produced by one person. Unlike CL_fan, I do not find it "interesting" or thread-worthy that one person who made videos has a mean streak.

But I see no reason to assume laziness and ignorance on the part of anyone (in the "community") who uses nicknames that are shortened versions of a longer name.
And I see no reason to assume a lack of love, affection, and good humor.
Your post came across as making automatic assumptions.

I have not liked this thread from the outset, and it is going from bad to worse.
So going forward, I will try not to post further.

OK, thank you for explaining your conserns.

[SUB]I am disappointed though. I do translations and chatting to practice my English a little bit, but no one yet have told me how bad i am at it. Can i have a gramma-nazi instead of justice warriors?[/SUB]

tars

Record Breaker
My impressions:
- "Pogo" sounds too rough for a nice pretty girl like Anna,
- "Zagi" sounds nice to me, the last "i" sounds diminutive,
- "Tuk" and "Tuktik" sounds OK, but it feels like made of lazyness indeed,
- "Radio" is awful, "Radi" is like 'Tuk'
- "Lipa" sounds very nice, because it's existing word meaning "linden",
- "Med" is blah,
- "Sotka" is cool like 'Lipa' - means 'hundred'

AKTKN

Rinkside
And good authors too who once knew better words
Now only use four letter words writing prose
'Cause anything goes

Atashi

Rinkside
I like when Zhenya Medvedeva is called "medvezhenok" meaning "bear cub". It sounds nice and affectionate. And I actually see it more often than simple bear.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30L using Golden Skate mobile app

LoveSkater

On the Ice
Country
Russia
I am from Russia and I can say that theese nicknames are mostly true. Many of them are originated by skaters. For examle - ''sausage" (sosiska in russian) was Tuktamysheva instagram nickname. So it is not disgusting because it is approved by an athelete.
Countess for Maria is also approved because it is used by Sotskova coach.
And one more fact: top and truly respected skaters are called by their real names. Yulya or Yulka for Lipnitskaya and Zhenya or Zhenechka for Med.
Realy insulting nickname belongs to Elena Ilinykh. W-word. Haters and some fans of her former partner Katsalapov was angry about the rumors that she has drunk party with mens hockey team during the olympics. But in general that ugly nickname refers to rumors about her romantic relationship with partner and coach at the same time and cheating with other boys.
Med also has an ugly nickname because some people are racists and she is Armenian origin.
Some boys have female nicknames because they can't jump quadrouples like real men. They can do only tripples like girls.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know if anyone else calls Elizebet Tursynbayeva 'Lil Bet but I certainly do ;)

Why does Gubanova go by Gubanchik on Insta?

Barb

Record Breaker
ok, I am really curious to know the nickname of Elena I. , it is the only one that says Censorship :unsure:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Alexander "Sasha" Viktorovich Abt is a Russian figure skater and coach.

Is Sasha a common nickname for Alexander, or is Sasha his real middle name?

LoveSkater

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Like i said before it is w***e meaning promiscuous girl. It is very rude .
And for mrrice - Sasha is common nickname for Alexander or Alexandra. Like Mike and Michael
P.S. - Some commonly used nicknames for foreign skaters (not-russian)
Osmond - Katya(because Kaetlyn), Zhoppka ( meaning nice butt)
Marin Honda - Nyasha ( nice (looking), lovely, sweet person/character), Supercar
Satoko - Twizzle-baby, Little Queen, Cheatoko
Em So Lim - Insulin (ka)
Kostner - Patrick Chan in a skirt, Karo (means King)
Gabby Daleman - Bodybuilder
Rika Hongo - lumberjack
Kim Yuna - simply Yuna, Queen
Mao Asada - The siege
And also Slutskaya - Slu-Slu

Fish in the sea

Rinkside
Alexander "Sasha" Viktorovich Abt is a Russian figure skater and coach.

Is Sasha a common nickname for Alexander, or is Sasha his real middle name?

Sasha is an "official" diminutive name for Alexander. Every Alexander in Russia is called Sasha by his relatives and friends.