skater nicknames and what fans call skaters | Page 3 | Golden Skate

skater nicknames and what fans call skaters

Fish in the sea

Rinkside
Thanks! So it means Russian accent is individual for each word? :eek:

PS.
What about "Lip-NITS-ka-ya"?
It originates from word "Lipnik", which accentuates LIP-nik, so why not LIP-nits-ka-ya?

Yep, all Russian accents are individual, there is no rule.

Not sure about Lipnitskaya, but I believe almost all (if not all) last names that end with skaya/skiy have accent on the second syllable. TchayKOVskiy, PliSETskaya, BuTYRskaya, etc.

Fish in the sea

Rinkside
It's so interesting you ask this question. Because on YouTube, after Fish in the Sea's video, this one comes up:
https://youtu.be/2vyRqg4j0Ok

Now you can hear at the beginning, the male announcer says Lipnitskaya with the accent on NIts, but immediately following that, the female announcer says it with the accent on LIp. Is it acceptable either way?

The female announcer is not Russian (I hear a finnish or a baltic accent) so she doesn't know how Yulia's name is pronounced. LipNEETskaya is the only acceptable way.

tars

Record Breaker
Yep, all Russian accents are individual, there is no rule.
Well, then I guess learning to speak with perfect Russian accent is pretty hard - you gotta know every word. :drama:

I've found fun accent fact:
- "pisAt" means 'to write',
- "pIsat" means 'to piss'! :laugh:

russianfan

Match Penalty
Not related to the topic, but I made a video on how to pronounce Russian skaters names. I don't make any explanations, just pronounce their names. Seeing a discussion about Evgenia's name in this thread made me finally finish this video that I've been meaning to make since the end of last season https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G48sk-Vq5jo&feature=youtu.be Hope this video will be helpful to someone. And I hope my voice doesn't sound annoying :slink:

I only included single skaters that are going to be in the spotlight next season.

i'm not sure if Tuktamysheva pronunciation is correct, i used to think that accent should be on MYSH, and also seems like this is the way russian commentators pronunciate it (i'm russian btw)

Well, then I guess learning to speak with perfect Russian accent is pretty hard - you gotta know every word. :drama:

I've found fun accent fact:
- "pisAt" means 'to write',
- "pIsat" means 'to piss'! :laugh:

yeah, there are also words which are absolutely identical even in pronunciation and their meaning hugely depends on context, for example "среда" (wednesday) и "среда" (environment).
Some more accent facts for you, similar to the one you have discovered:

мука́ - flour
му́ка - torment (throe)

за́мок - castle
замо́к - door lock

пла́чу - i cry
плачу́ - i pay

AKTKN

Rinkside
To be honest, I actually agree with you. A lot of the things in the list are insulting. But, since I'm an English speaker, I didn't know that when the offer to translate what was in the videos came through.

Well, i am a Russian speaker, but, as you can guess, i had no idea what was in the video either when i proposed to translate it. Yet some of them are legit (Tuktik is Lisa's instagram name) and some are well deserved (as Kit-Kat). It is still an option to edit rest of them out.

AKTKN

Rinkside
Personally, and please don't take this the wrong way, CaroLiza_fan, I think the posting of this list is completely and utterly inappropriate.

These aren't nicknames. Nicknames are given in affection, in love, in endearment, in good humour. These are - the best word I can think of for many of them is slurs, insults, demeaning labels. And many of them are about minor children.

I am not sure if i can see any affection, love, endearment and humor in Pogo, Havi, Zagi, Shibs, Yuzu and so on. People just got first four letter of their names cut off. There is nothing but lazyness and ignorance.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I am not sure if i can see any affection, love, endearment and humor in Pogo, Havi, Zagi, Shibs, Yuzu and so on. People just got first four letter of their names cut off. There is nothing but lazyness and ignorance.

Laziness and ignorance? What the heck are you talking about?

The Shibutanis call themselves the Shibs, for example.

Are you calling Maia and Alex lazy and ignorant?

AKTKN

Rinkside
Laziness and ignorance? What the heck are you talking about?

The Shibutanis call themselves the Shibs, for example.

Are you calling Maia and Alex lazy and ignorant?

I had been talking about the community. No matter how do they call themself, there is no reason for fandom to stick with the simplest possible solution and not a sign of love, affection and humor either.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I had been talking about the community. No matter how do they call themself, there is no reason for fandom to stick with the simplest possible solution and not a sign of love, affection and humor either.

You are missing the point.
If it is acceptable for individuals to call themselves by abbreviated forms of their own names, why is it inherently lazy and/or ignorant for a third party from the "community" to use abbreviated forms?

There is no reason for fandom not to use a simple abbreviation -- as just one of the multiple possible ways that nicknames can and do originate.

[Unless a particular skater has made it known that s/he does not like a certain abbreviation. Or unless a certain abbreviation resembles a word that has offensive connotations.]

At least in the U.S., shortening a name often is an expression of endearment (not limited to skater names, by any stretch).

AKTKN

Rinkside
You are missing the point.
If it is acceptable for individuals to call themselves by abbreviated forms of their own names, why is it inherently lazy and/or ignorant for a third party from the "community" to use abbreviated forms?

There is no reason for fandom not to use a simple abbreviation -- as just one of the multiple possible ways that nicknames can and do originate.

[Unless a particular skater has made it known that s/he does not like a certain abbreviation. Or unless a certain abbreviation resembles a word that has offensive connotations.]

At least in the U.S., shortening a name often is an expression of endearment (not limited to skater names, by any stretch).

1) You asked: "Are you calling Maia and Alex lazy and ignorant?" - i answered: "I am not." And i still don't see where does it came from.
2) The discussion started from the phrase: "Nicknames are given in affection, in love, in endearment, in good humour." My answer was: "I am not sure if i can see it". And i still do not see it. And did provide an example of a generic approach to nicknaming.
3) You are claiming that in one particular case i am wrong. May be. I trust you. I definitly not in position to judge how U.S. skaters nicknames should be constructed. I can also easily exclude japenese and spanish one. Still we have Pogo, Rad, Med, Zagi. Is the U.S. way the only way? Zagi doesn't even speak English, how can she let you know if she liked it or not? Why can't i my doubts?

AKTKN

Rinkside
I can provide another example. In OP we have two similar examples: GUBANova and TSUR(YA)skaya. And i was thinking, why does first one seems to be insulting, while secont doesn't. My theory is that Tsyrskaya isn't really russian surname and for russian speakers it doesn't mean anything. So it was cut and modified a little bit to sound nicer. But Gubanova is a russian surname and "Guba" has a literal meaning - a lip. Likewise Sotka in SOT(KA)nikova means a hundred. When a nickname have a meaning, we can talk about if it is deregatory or not. "a hundred" is neutral but Gubanova is out of luck.
So good shortcut is a result of either an ignorance (Tsurya or Tuktik for russian speakers and Pogo, Zagi for English speakers) or luck. So it is exactly what are you talking about: "Or unless a certain abbreviation resembles a word that has offensive connotations". My point is that in many cases we just do not know it. And stick with a simple solution.

Tulipstar

Medalist
That comment was as funny and proper as her 2017 Worlds performance. :sarcasm:
Her former rink-partner Julia was in pain and despair, while she was making jokes about her in front of cameras, only because she didn't like the media attention being directed at somebody else. "Why do you ask about her? I won! Me, me, me!"
That was the day I've lost much of my respect to Anna. :scowl:

I've heard only good about Anna, so I hope it was just her being nervous and saying something dumb, instead of her really wanting to be nasty.

AKTKN

Rinkside
So what can be a creative approach? Let's talk about Pogo. I think she wasn't "cut" properly. She is not POGOrilaya, she is poGORilaya. And "GOR" means "to burn". The whole thing could be translated as "someone whose house had been burned", or some one who had burned down. And here we can see a story. She has a flame in her name and in her art and in her fate. Sometimes she is burned down, but then Phoenix rises and Firebird shines in the sky. But if the flame cut from her name and from her heart, the only thing left is a cold ice of Helsinky and empty eyes of the Ice Queen entering the rink. Why do we destroing magic with our own hands?

Atashi

Rinkside
So what can be a creative approach? Let's talk about Pogo. I think she wasn't "cut" properly. She is not POGOrilaya, she is poGORilaya. And "GOR" means "to burn". The whole thing could be translated as "someone whose house had been burned", or some one who had burned down. And here we can see a story. She has a flame in her name and in her art and in her fate. Sometimes she is burned down, but then Phoenix rises and Firebird shines in the sky. But if the flame cut from her name and from her heart, the only thing left is a cold ice of Helsinky and empty eyes of the Ice Queen entering the rink. Why do we destroing magic with our own hands?
Lol.
She was actually quite offended when somebody called her "pogorelaya" so I think she doesnt actually wants to burn.
But I agree "pogo" sounds stupid in russian and doesnt suit her.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30L using Golden Skate mobile app