skater nicknames and what fans call skaters | Page 5 | Golden Skate

skater nicknames and what fans call skaters

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
It makes me wonder if Sasha Cohen's real name is Alexandra. Has she ever talked about that?
Her given name is Alexandra Pauline Cohen. I do not know if she has ever actually talked about why she goes by Sasha, though.

Patrick Chan's nickname is Chiddy. His twitter username is PChiddy, which is a play on PDiddy, who is a rapper. Either Bryce Davison or Scott Moir came up with PChiddy. :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Really? How did you find that out? Maybe Sasha didn't sound grown-up enough.

It was stated in a few articles/interviews on her/with her within the last few years that she went by Alex during her time at Columbia U and now in post college life.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Really? How did you find that out? Maybe Sasha didn't sound grown-up enough.

I remember reading one time that she started calling herself Alex when she went to college because "Sasha Cohen" is so well known and she wanted to just be a normal student.

Can't remember where I read it though (it was a few months ago when I was compiling the new Fan Fest index, which I haven't been able to get finished yet because I have been up to my eyes in updating Fan Fests).

CaroLiza_fan

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I remember reading one time that she started calling herself Alex when she went to college because "Sasha Cohen" is so well known and she wanted to just be a normal student.

Can't remember where I read it though (it was a few months ago when I was compiling the new Fan Fest index, which I haven't been able to get finished yet because I have been up to my eyes in updating Fan Fests).

CaroLiza_fan

This is where I learned about it (cool anecdote told by Mathman) :laugh:

LoveSkater

On the Ice
Country
Russia
By the way, head of the Russian Skating Fed is Sasha Cohen. No joke😄.
Alexander (Sasha) Kogan ( Cohen).
Cohen and Kogan (Коган) are the same name but different romanisation

BabblingBrook

On the Ice
OH MY GOD IS THIS REALLY HOW POGORILAYA'S NAME IS PRONOUNCED? My life has been a lie.... (and I blame the Hungarian commentators for it, because - now turns out - they pronounce it wrong every time, and I heard her name first from them)
But how come that I never came across a decent pronunciation? Like... I only watch the Worlds on TV (they don't show anything else figure skating related on television here in Hungary) and on streams someone should have said it correctly... now I go and overthink my life

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I get a kick out of Jeff Buttle's user name on Twitter - JButt. I like to refer to him as "Jeffie." :biggrin: For John Zimmerman "JZ," for Michael Weiss, "Mikey." For Sean Rabbitt - "The Rabbit." Up close & personal, I say Jeff, John, Mike, & Sean, though.

As for several of my friends who are also Todd Eldredge fans, we affectionately refer to him as "Todd E. Bear." Now in person we call him Todd.