Skating to Riverdance | Golden Skate

Skating to Riverdance

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Back from a 4,000 mile road trip. Saw Clare Seo today on the web live at the Cup of Colorado and Watched Gracie, etc.
I just watched this: Pate and Bye doing Riverdance.

2022 Lake Placid Ice Dance International​

Cant wait to see it live at Nats.
It would be hard to beat Jason Brown's rendition. I did enjoy Rika Hongo's because I enjoyed Rika Hongo, I guess.
There are certain constraints in ice dance comps but I wonder for a gala performance, if any couple could really pull it off to the level of Jason Brown?
I dont skate so I cant appreciate how hard it would be but maybe Davis and White could have pulled off this high energy piece.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Could “any couple really pull it off to the level of Jason Brown”? Have we really forgotten the original, so soon?

noskates

Record Breaker
UGH - I don't think anyone should skate to Riverdance. I felt the same way about Bolero. There are just some pieces of music that are so iconic that I can't picture anyone else skating to them. I didn't like Rika Hongo's version and barely remember Bourne and Kratz'. JMO.

Edited after watching Bourne and Kratz - excellent footwork and super well done. But I still think Jason when I hear the music.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
UGH - I don't think anyone should skate to Riverdance. I felt the same way about Bolero. There are just some pieces of music that are so iconic that I can't picture anyone else skating to them. I didn't like Rika Hongo's version and barely remember Bourne and Kratz'. JMO.
Just shows that it’s all a matter of perspective. To me Bourne and Kraatz had THE iconic program to Riverdance. At the time, it was a sensation—I remember being riveted watching it on TV at that Olympics!

Naturally I remember Jason Brown as well, not to take anything away from him, but that was YEARS later!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Jason Brown's Riverdance was iconic, but there are many that were likeable too, like Rika Hongo's or Kazuki Tomono's. But since it's one of the sufferable warhorses for me, I look forward to new interpretations. I can imagine Fear/Gibson or Green/Parsons make it work really well in the future.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Back from a 4,000 mile road trip. Saw Clare Seo today on the web live at the Cup of Colorado and Watched Gracie, etc.

It would be hard to beat Jason Brown's rendition. I did enjoy Rika Hongo's because I enjoyed Rika Hongo, I guess.
There are certain constraints in ice dance comps but I wonder for a gala performance, if any couple could really pull it off to the level of Jason Brown?
I dont skate so I cant appreciate how hard it would be but maybe Davis and White could have pulled off this high energy piece.
The best version was Bourne/Kraatz, and Jason.

I hate when Riverdance is done b/c no one can perform it close to authentic when it comes to the steps and intricacies. Now, it's not going to be just like the original b/c there are more restraints to some movements and then the rules with skating, but a good choreographer with the right team/skater could pull it off. Virtue/Moir could have knocked out a Riverdance program, as could Wea/Po, the Kerrs, as could Hawayek/Baker possibly.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The best version was Bourne/Kraatz, and Jason.

I hate when Riverdance is done b/c no one can perform it close to authentic when it comes to the steps and intricacies. Now, it's not going to be just like the original b/c there are more restraints to some movements and then the rules with skating, but a good choreographer with the right team skater could pull it off. Virtue/Moir could have knocked out a Riverdance program, as could Wea/Po, the Kerrs, as could Hawayek/Baker possibly.
I do agree that step dancing would be very hard on skates...still...I wonder if there is someone out there that can do it...when RD first appeared, it took off like a rocket

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember folks talking about Bourne and Kraatz when Jason's Riverdance first took off, and I also barely remembered it, so I went back and took a look.

Not really easy to compare from my limited observation skills, because it is ice dance and not singles, but it simply did not touch me the way that Jason's did. And I was trying to be objective, believe it or not. :). But I could see the mastery and skills involved.

That said, Riverdance is a warhorse, and it will be used in skating this year, next year, and other years, and I can't really say Jason has a complete lock on it.

OTOH, if any skater tries to skate to Sinnerman in the next ten years, they're out of their flipping mind.:devil:

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight

Edited after watching Bourne and Kratz - excellent footwork and super well done. But I still think Jason when I hear the music.
I would agree with you, but for me at least Riverdance is nice music. I think Bolero, as music is extremely overrated. Torville and Dean made a very good program to it, and were very good skates, but the music itself for me was tired and boring and altogether just not great. I think even the composer didn't like it, and said it was more of a training exercise than music to listen to.

On the note of riverdance, if there is exceptional choreography I wouldn't mind watching a program to it. What I don't want is there to be 20 programs to it with only 1 of exceptional quality. In terms of ice dance, I do think there is scope to achieve a high level performance despite constraints - although the climax is perhaps better suited for character step sequence rather than the step sequence. The lifts/twizzles/one foot can also be used to great effect on different parts of the music.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Jason Brown's Riverdance was iconic, but there are many that were likeable too, like Rika Hongo's or Kazuki Tomono's. But since it's one of the sufferable warhorses for me, I look forward to new interpretations. I can imagine Fear/Gibson or Green/Parsons make it work really well in the future.
I'll have to look for it but, I could swear I saw Takeshi Honda use Riverdance. It might have been an exhibition. I'll Be Bach!! Found it. This performance was from 4CC..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0AbPZVpS7A

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Also from 1998 (which based on the costumes I described as more river, less dance):

Other 1990s Irish dances to different music:

mrrice

Record Breaker

Spectacular.... What an amazing journey. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I hope you had the best time.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'll have to look for it but, I could swear I saw Takeshi Honda use Riverdance. It might have been an exhibition. I'll Be Bach!! Found it. This performance was from 4CC..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0AbPZVpS7A
Yes! Here's the Worlds version where he won Bronze IIRC. Those step sequences are what I'm talking about, as authentic as a singles skater can get. I miss the days of step sequences like his straight line in this video.
I also miss when Morozov was a good choreographer like that LOL!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I remember folks talking about Bourne and Kraatz when Jason's Riverdance first took off, and I also barely remembered it, so I went back and took a look.

Not really easy to compare from my limited observation skills, because it is ice dance and not singles, but it simply did not touch me the way that Jason's did. And I was trying to be objective, believe it or not. :). But I could see the mastery and skills involved.

That said, Riverdance is a warhorse, and it will be used in skating this year, next year, and other years, and I can't really say Jason has a complete lock on it.

OTOH, if any skater tries to skate to Sinnerman in the next ten years, they're out of their flipping mind.:devil:
I am partial to JB but I have to admit that even though its apples and oranges, B/K version was very good....Nagano 1998. Many Japanese skaters of today werent even born yet. The scoring box was very well done. (The crowd around Elvis wasnt too enthusiasitc)
View attachment 5567

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I am partial to JB but I have to admit that even though its apples and oranges, B/K version was very good....Nagano 1998. Many Japanese skaters of today werent even born yet. The scoring box was very well done. (The crowd around Elvis wasnt too enthusiasitc)
View attachment 5567
LOL I mentioned this performance in my first post! ;)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes! Here's the Worlds version where he won Bronze IIRC. Those step sequences are what I'm talking about, as authentic as a singles skater can get. I miss the days of step sequences like his straight line in this video.
I also miss when Morozov was a good choreographer like that LOL!
ITA about the footwork sequence in this performance, although he really needed to be able to use his face to project his performance to the audience, a la JB.
And Morozov is having another baby! Maybe he will choreo another RD to comemerate the event.