Skating to Riverdance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skating to Riverdance

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Spectacular.... What an amazing journey. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I hope you had the best time.
Thank you. I always do. I like each of my 9 yearly trips about equally well, each has their charm...the cruises, the skating events, the air races, the motorcycle camping trips, and the drive back to Oshkosh and back through the mountains....and all the people I meet along the way. When you have been retired 18 years, though, it is frightening how fast it goes and what lies ahead is frightening also...
Sadly, time contraints made it impossible to shake George's hand again and chat with him....Still gonna get my vote for POTUS...

Thankfully, the weather was not hot for the midwest and he could greet and talk with many people....

Last edited:

Warwick360

Medalist
Could “any couple really pull it off to the level of Jason Brown”? Have we really forgotten the original, so soon?

That was lovely. But what was equally lovely was the Japanese recording. Same as when I saw Midori's '92 FS. To think these were recorded in the 90s when the video quality, and especially the camera work, matches (or even outdoes at times) the quality of today. :jaw:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Unsurprisingly I don't see mentioned Alena Leonova here. Unfortunately she didn't have a chance to perform this at an international stage. Nevertheless, her swan song was truly magnificent:

Why wasn't she able to perform this internationally. I always liked Alena, she was fast and always seemed to be having the best time.

beaconbabe5

Rinkside
Back from a 4,000 mile road trip. Saw Clare Seo today on the web live at the Cup of Colorado and Watched Gracie, etc.
I just watched this: Pate and Bye doing Riverdance.

2022 Lake Placid Ice Dance International​

Cant wait to see it live at Nats.
It would be hard to beat Jason Brown's rendition. I did enjoy Rika Hongo's because I enjoyed Rika Hongo, I guess.
There are certain constraints in ice dance comps but I wonder for a gala performance, if any couple could really pull it off to the level of Jason Brown?
I dont skate so I cant appreciate how hard it would be but maybe Davis and White could have pulled off this high energy piece.

beaconbabe5

Rinkside
Back from a 4,000 mile road trip. Saw Clare Seo today on the web live at the Cup of Colorado and Watched Gracie, etc.
I just watched this: Pate and Bye doing Riverdance.

2022 Lake Placid Ice Dance International​

Cant wait to see it live at Nats.
It would be hard to beat Jason Brown's rendition. I did enjoy Rika Hongo's because I enjoyed Rika Hongo, I guess.
There are certain constraints in ice dance comps but I wonder for a gala performance, if any couple could really pull it off to the level of Jason Brown?
I dont skate so I cant appreciate how hard it would be but maybe Davis and White could have pulled off this high energy piece.
Thank you for posting, really enjoyed their program.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Riverdance will always be an iconic piece that many skaters have done justice to over the years, but Bourne/Kraatz will always be the ones to bring it to the forefront and perform it to its potential, and Jason Brown is the only one who has had that level of choreo and commitment since (his 2014 Nationals is arguably my fave freeskate performance). Also what I loved about their performances is that they really used their strengths (deep edges/hydroblading, fast feet for B/K, and beautiful lines/charisma/flexibility for Brown) to amplify the performance.

What I love about Riverdance for a skater in general is that it truly challenges a skater's abilities both on the blade and in terms of performance. You can't do Riverdance if you lack commitment or intensity, and if you lack musicality or if you are not confident with your skating skills because it'll fall flat (or you'll fall flat on your face!). Even for a choreographer, it can't just be run of the mill.

I wouldn't recommend every skater compete a Riverdance program in their career, but if a coach is looking to really push their skater's performance abilities and elevate them, it's a great vehicle. And a Riverdance program (good or bad) almost always entertains the audience and gets them excited to watch a skater.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Riverdance will always be an iconic piece that many skaters have done justice to over the years, but Bourne/Kraatz will always be the ones to bring it to the forefront and perform it to its potential, and Jason Brown is the only one who has had that level of choreo and commitment since (his 2014 Nationals is arguably my fave freeskate performance). Also what I loved about their performances is that they really used their strengths (deep edges/hydroblading, fast feet for B/K, and beautiful lines/charisma/flexibility for Brown) to amplify the performance.

What I love about Riverdance for a skater in general is that it truly challenges a skater's abilities both on the blade and in terms of performance. You can't do Riverdance if you lack commitment or intensity, and if you lack musicality or if you are not confident with your skating skills because it'll fall flat (or you'll fall flat on your face!). Even for a choreographer, it can't just be run of the mill.

I wouldn't recommend every skater compete a Riverdance program in their career, but if a coach is looking to really push their skater's performance abilities and elevate them, it's a great vehicle. And a Riverdance program (good or bad) almost always entertains the audience and gets them excited to watch a skater.

Totally agree with your analysis of the challenges presented by Riverdance, and how it can elevate (or not) a skater. So did Rohene Ward, :) and he argued the point with Jason and Kori. From a NY Times article five ETA: oops, eight:eek: years ago:

After hearing “Reel Around the Sun,” the flute-punctuated opening number, Brown was reeling at the up-tempo, cardiovascular challenge it would present on skates.
“I was like, ‘Rohene, you are crazy, I cannot pull this off,' ” Brown said.
Ward’s response was immediate, Brown said: “He looked me in the eye and said, ‘Jason, this is something you’ve never done before, and that’s what the Olympic year is all about.' ”

[Rohene called Kori to tell her]

“She was like: ‘ "Riverdance”? That’s so corny,' ” Ward said. “And I said, ‘No, no, it’s just that a lot of people haven’t done it justice except for a couple of ice dance teams.’

(
The article is long format piece, but still interesting about how skaters, coaches and choreographers work together, even if you are not a dedicated Jason fan. I have gifted it)

Last edited:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Totally agree with your analysis of the challenges presented by Riverdance, and how it can elevate (or not) a skater. So did Rohene Ward, :) and he argued the point with Jason and Kori. From a NY Times article five years ago:

After hearing “Reel Around the Sun,” the flute-punctuated opening number, Brown was reeling at the up-tempo, cardiovascular challenge it would present on skates.
Ward’s response was immediate, Brown said: “He looked me in the eye and said, ‘Jason, this is something you’ve never done before, and that’s what the Olympic year is all about.' ”

“She was like: ‘ "Riverdance”? That’s so corny,' ” Ward said. “And I said, ‘No, no, it’s just that a lot of people haven’t done it justice except for a couple of ice dance teams.’

(
The article is long format magazine piece, but still interesting about how skaters, coaches and choreographers work together, even if you are not a dedicated Jason fan. I have gifted it)

I actually had never seen that article before. It's an interesting origin story and illustrates the mindset and strategy of the three, coach, choreographer and skater, that produced the Jason we know and love and the iconic skate. The story diverges a little bit with Ro's dream narrative, but everything else lines up. And Robin Wagner's comments are insightful and generous. Thanks for linking to this.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Unsurprisingly I don't see mentioned Alena Leonova here. Unfortunately she didn't have a chance to perform this at an international stage. Nevertheless, her swan song was truly magnificent:

She really comes alive at the two minute mark....thanks for sharing.....(I am sure its hard for some skaters to use their faces to project during jumping as the concentration is so great. Why do I find the white pants part of the costume distracting? Green or black would have been my choices....)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Totally agree with your analysis of the challenges presented by Riverdance, and how it can elevate (or not) a skater. So did Rohene Ward, :) and he argued the point with Jason and Kori. From a NY Times article five ETA: oops, eight:eek: years ago:

(
The article is long format piece, but still interesting about how skaters, coaches and choreographers work together, even if you are not a dedicated Jason fan. I have gifted it)

Thank you so much for sharing this! Really wonderful insight into Brown's Olympic season, the program itself, and makes me appreciate the genius of Rohene Ward that much more.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

(

Way cool story. Thanks. US Figure skating needed Nathan and Jason and got them just at the right time. I STILL feel honored to be able to tell him personally he is the most artistic exciting male skater I have ever seen....I am sure I am the 10,958 person to be able to tell him that, but still...:biggrin:

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The first time I remember a couple bringing Irish dancing to ice, it was

1990 Torvill & Dean Challenge of Champions in Jaca, Spain. The program has 3 pieces of music. I love all 3. It is called "Echoes of Ireland"

The first time I saw Riverdance itself used in skating was 1997 Robinson & Breen FD at US Nationals

But Jason's performance at 2014 was amazing, amazing, amazing.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This was not a competitive program to Riverdance music, but there was a Disson show called "Riverdance on Ice." The cast skated to Riverdance music throughout the show, including the opener "Reel Around the Sun." The show included live musicians & the Riverdance dancers. It aired in 2011.

Last edited: