Stars on Ice 2018 - Canadian Tour | Golden Skate

Stars on Ice 2018 - Canadian Tour

Ellie493

Rinkside
Hi,

I don’t know if I missed it, but I found no thread specifically focusing on this year’s Canadian tour of Stars on Ice, so I thought I’d start one.
I actually came here specifically to advertise the fact that I have lots of room in the apartment super close to the AirCanada Centre that I booked for the May 4 show (I also booked the night before the show to give myself more time in the city), if anyone here is seeking accommodation in the super expensive city of Toronto! Just PM me if you’re interested!
Either way, the Stars on Ice Canadian tour deserves a thread of its own :biggrin:

danse

On the Ice
It's going to be such a great show. I haven't been in a few years and bought tickets for the Hamilton show BEFORE the Olympics and I'm glad I did. I can't wait for May 5th.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
May 2nd here ... also bought tickets before Olympics ... and I usually don't go to shows... but i thought it would be a nice chance to see everyone who is planning to retire... and then bang :) superb olympics! Very happy to go !

Fluffice

Rinkside
May 2nd here ... also bought tickets before Olympics ... and I usually don't go to shows... but i thought it would be a nice chance to see everyone who is planning to retire... and then bang :) superb olympics! Very happy to go !

I'm going to the May 2nd show too, didn't know you lived near montreal...

Bought tix after the Olympics though because I forgot about SOI until I read something somewhere that reminded me of it.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
No May

No date

No show

;), jealous but happy for all who will attend!!!

lyndichee

Medalist
May 4th also.

I'm surprised you've never been been.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
May 4th also.

I'm surprised you've never been been.

few reasons : i am recently a grown up meaning i was in school until a few years ago... so focused on other priorities
SOI : doesn't come often to montreal
I much much prefer competitive skating

mrrice

Record Breaker

Please take pictures and post them for those of us who can't be there to see it live.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
Going to Calgary show on May 12! Trying to convince my sister to fly internationally to come with me. She doesn't much watch figure skating but I spent so much time ranting to her about it during the Olympics that she's half convinced.

Celine

On the Ice
Hope they at least dry clean those SOI Japan costumes before they have to peel them on/off for SOI Canada shows :laugh:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wonder if there will be a tribute or a special performance honouring the Humboldt Broncos. Canada is about 1/10th the side of the United States but there was a tragic accident of a junior hockey team bus hit by a truck driver killing 16 people so far (players, coaches, statistician, trainer/medic) and injuring 13 more (all 29 on the bus were killed or injured - most critically. After two weeks at least 7 are in hospital of those who survived. This is apparently big news in Canada - they raised over 15 million dollars for the survivors and families of the victims in under two weeks (they closed down the donations though they are still collecting under a charity. I could see Virtue and Moir skating to perhaps Memories or We Are the Champions or maybe Kaetlyn Osmond could skate to Friends by Michael W Smith; Weaver and Poje could skate to Eye of the Tiger? Or Patrick could revisit Journey or the that special song that Eric Radford wrote.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I wonder if there will be a tribute or a special performance honouring the Humboldt Broncos. Canada is about 1/10th the side of the United States but there was a tragic accident of a junior hockey team bus hit by a truck driver killing 16 people so far (players, coaches, statistician, trainer/medic) and injuring 13 more (all 29 on the bus were killed or injured - most critically. After two weeks at least 7 are in hospital of those who survived. This is apparently big news in Canada - they raised over 15 million dollars for the survivors and families of the victims in under two weeks (they closed down the donations though they are still collecting under a charity. I could see Virtue and Moir skating to perhaps Memories or We Are the Champions or maybe Kaetlyn Osmond could skate to Friends by Michael W Smith; Weaver and Poje could skate to Eye of the Tiger? Or Patrick could revisit Journey or the that special song that Eric Radford wrote.

that's a nice thought but really, i don't want to sound like i have no heart but every sport event, every tv show i have watched over the past weeks has been about this. I believe it's more the place of hockey organizations to honour the victims than stars on ice. It would be a bit random IMHO at this point, weeks after the event ... and you know what, I am not afraid to say that I burst into tears when i saw the reports... so it's not like I couldn't care less... i just think that this is a celebration of our olympic athletes coming back with 2 golds, 2 bronze from PC and it should be a big party. For once that we can celebrate instead of saying "sorry"

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Nice thought, but doubtful it would happen like that, maybe just a moment of silence or something at the beginning of the show in that area. But the show programs and choreo have been set for the tour already and there more than likely will be no deviation from that.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Nice thought, but doubtful it would happen like that, maybe just a moment of silence or something at the beginning of the show in that area. But the show programs and choreo have been set for the tour already and there more than likely will be no deviation from that.

I also think a moment of silence, or one number at the beginning of the show, would be the most appropriate acknowledgement of the crash.

I recently went to see Crystal in Canada. There was no mention of it and I didn't hear any grumbling about that.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

So true. It is kind of sad that Patrick can't have a moment alone to recognize his skating but to be fair you have the retirement of Virtue and Moir and Duhamel and RAdford. So many great skaters. Oh to be a Canadian.