Stiffness Levels? More boot help!!! | Golden Skate

Stiffness Levels? More boot help!!!

Vladik

On the Ice
Hello! A lot of you have probably seen me posting on here a lot. You’re probably all sick of me lol! :laugh: To sum things up, I wear Risport Electra Light (Stiffness 45). I purchased them in September (the same time I began skating). I’m now Skate UK level 8 and my skates have broken down incredibly fast. I have no ankle support whatsoever. I’ve also been told many times I have very strong legs.

For reference, I’m 15 and about 5’6 and a half. I weigh about 46-47kg, don’t know why my legs are so strong though lol.

I’ve been asking around; coaches, skate techs, people online, friends, about what boots they recommend. I’m getting fitted by Everglides in April (I think) as it’s the soonest I can get new skates unfortunately - and I value their opinion the most. But I want to look into skates first.

All the skates that’ve been mentioned or recommended to me are:

Jackson Debut (Stiffness - 55)

Edea Chorus (Stiffness - 70)

Risport RF3 Pro (Stiffness - 60)

Risport Royal Pro (Stiffness - 65)

I’ve researched quite a bit and there seems to be some pros and cons. I’m not really leaning towards the Edea Chorus. I’m willing to try them but I don’t think they’d fit my foot shape, and I’ve heard Edea’s have a wide, loose ankle. I have ankle problems so ankle support is something I really need.

My question is, what is a drastic stiffness rating difference? Is there much difference between 45 and 55? etc…

Because the 45 I’m skating in right now are absolutely NOWHERE NEAR enough. I worry that a 55 wouldn’t be much different.

I understand the Royal Pro are quite a professional boot, would they be too much for me? I don’t want to overboot. However I’ve also heard they don’t have a very stiff ankle. I’m just in a bit of a dilemma.

My local skate tech has ordered in some Jackson Debut and Risport RF3 Pro for me to try on. So I can always update about that if anybody’s interested. I worry they might not be strong enough and I’ll get a repeat of my ongoing situation right now.

Overall, I’m just a little confused about difference in stiffness ratings. Thanks!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello! A lot of you have probably seen me posting on here a lot. You’re probably all sick of me lol! :laugh: To sum things up, I wear Risport Electra Light (Stiffness 45). I purchased them in September (the same time I began skating). I’m now Skate UK level 8 and my skates have broken down incredibly fast. I have no ankle support whatsoever. I’ve also been told many times I have very strong legs.

For reference, I’m 15 and about 5’6 and a half. I weigh about 46-47kg, don’t know why my legs are so strong though lol.

I’ve been asking around; coaches, skate techs, people online, friends, about what boots they recommend. I’m getting fitted by Everglides in April (I think) as it’s the soonest I can get new skates unfortunately - and I value their opinion the most. But I want to look into skates first.

All the skates that’ve been mentioned or recommended to me are:

Jackson Debut (Stiffness - 55)

Edea Chorus (Stiffness - 70)

Risport RF3 Pro (Stiffness - 60)

Risport Royal Pro (Stiffness - 65)

I’ve researched quite a bit and there seems to be some pros and cons. I’m not really leaning towards the Edea Chorus. I’m willing to try them but I don’t think they’d fit my foot shape, and I’ve heard Edea’s have a wide, loose ankle. I have ankle problems so ankle support is something I really need.

My question is, what is a drastic stiffness rating difference? Is there much difference between 45 and 55? etc…

Because the 45 I’m skating in right now are absolutely NOWHERE NEAR enough. I worry that a 55 wouldn’t be much different.

I understand the Royal Pro are quite a professional boot, would they be too much for me? I don’t want to overboot. However I’ve also heard they don’t have a very stiff ankle. I’m just in a bit of a dilemma.

My local skate tech has ordered in some Jackson Debut and Risport RF3 Pro for me to try on. So I can always update about that if anybody’s interested. I worry they might not be strong enough and I’ll get a repeat of my ongoing situation right now.

Overall, I’m just a little confused about difference in stiffness ratings. Thanks!
Does your foot work properly fitted in a Risport? If so stay with that brand.
I would suggest trying RF3 and also Royal Pro (they are 5 stiffness rating apart but are also made from different materials). You should be fine in either of those, just know they are going to be stiffer and you will have to get used to properly breaking them in.
Also, be aware that you cannot compare stiffness equally between brands, they are not interchangeable like that in stiffness. A 65 in Risport is not the same in Riedell, Jackson etc..

Vladik

On the Ice
Does your foot work properly fitted in a Risport? If so stay with that brand.
I would suggest trying RF3 and also Royal Pro (they are 5 stiffness rating apart but are also made from different materials). You should be fine in either of those, just know they are going to be stiffer and you will have to get used to properly breaking them in.
Also, be aware that you cannot compare stiffness equally between brands, they are not interchangeable like that in stiffness. A 65 in Risport is not the same in Riedell, Jackson etc..
Ahhh this is what is very confusing to me. I’m scared I’ll try on Jackson Debut or RF3 and they’ll be stiff enough in store, but once broken in they’ll offer no support like my current boots. My Risports felt great in store but you can now like squish the ankle with your hand if that makes sense, and there’s no support whatsoever.

It’s all very confusing to me.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ahhh this is what is very confusing to me. I’m scared I’ll try on Jackson Debut or RF3 and they’ll be stiff enough in store, but once broken in they’ll offer no support like my current boots. My Risports felt great in store but you can now like squish the ankle with your hand if that makes sense, and there’s no support whatsoever.

Trust me when I say: You are not going to squish down anything with Risport Rf3 or Royal Pro at your level and weight/height. You just aren't. I know what I'm talking about with suggesting boots.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
What Ic3Rabbit says! And you're not going to squish Jackson Debuts, either! They are solid. I'm a longtime destroyer of boots but I have Debuts on my Roll Line Lineas and won't be breaking them down any time soon, despite being a chonk these days!

Also, Royal Pros are like rock! Insulated by clouds. Lovely boots. I wore them for a couple of years.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States

I'll expand on one of Ic3's comments above. There is no industry standard for boot stiffness ratings, so you can't compare ratings between manufacturers. Furthermore, even within a single manufacturer, you don't know, e.g., how much stiffer a 60 is compared to a 50. The root problem: there is no industry standard for how boot stiffness is defined and no industry standard for how boot stiffness is measured. [In contrast, e.g., there are industry standards for defining and measuring the hardness of steel blades.]

So boot manufacturers cook up whatever ratings they want. Here's an example of how crazy the situation is. Most Jackson boots have stiffness values that differ by increments of 5: e.g., 50, 55, 60, 65, 70 .... So presumably, a skater could feel the difference in stiffness, e.g., between a 65 and a 70. OK, let's assume that. But now look at the Jackson Premiere. The Women's boot is a 65, and the Men's boot is (Wait for it!) a 69. So Jackson claims there is a measurable or perceptible difference between a 69 and a 70.

There is way too much variation in boot designs and materials these days for you to try to predict the service life of a boot from its initial stiffness. And, in recent years, manufacturers have been changing boot designs and materials more frequently than they have in the past (with exceptions).

Vladik

On the Ice
Trust me when I say: You are not going to squish down anything with Risport Rf3 or Royal Pro at your level and weight/height. You just aren't. I know what I'm talking about with suggesting boots.
That’s a relief. So I’m assuming they are NOTHING like Risport Electra Light? Despite the relatively similar ish stiffness rating? I’m hoping there’s a very big difference. I really like the look of Jackson Debut!

Vladik

On the Ice
What Ic3Rabbit says! And you're not going to squish Jackson Debuts, either! They are solid. I'm a longtime destroyer of boots but I have Debuts on my Roll Line Lineas and won't be breaking them down any time soon, despite being a chonk these days!

Also, Royal Pros are like rock! Insulated by clouds. Lovely boots. I wore them for a couple of years.
That’s such a relief! Thank you so much! I feel so irritating with my constant, repetitive posts. I like to be very certain on things lol. Sorry about all this! Thank you!

Vladik

On the Ice
I'll expand on one of Ic3's comments above. There is no industry standard for boot stiffness ratings, so you can't compare ratings between manufacturers. Furthermore, even within a single manufacturer, you don't know, e.g., how much stiffer a 60 is compared to a 50. The root problem: there is no industry standard for how boot stiffness is defined and no industry standard for how boot stiffness is measured. [In contrast, e.g., there are industry standards for defining and measuring the hardness of steel blades.]

So boot manufacturers cook up whatever ratings they want. Here's an example of how crazy the situation is. Most Jackson boots have stiffness values that differ by increments of 5: e.g., 50, 55, 60, 65, 70 .... So presumably, a skater could feel the difference in stiffness, e.g., between a 65 and a 70. OK, let's assume that. But now look at the Jackson Premiere. The Women's boot is a 65, and the Men's boot is (Wait for it!) a 69. So Jackson claims there is a measurable or perceptible difference between a 69 and a 70.

There is way too much variation in boot designs and materials these days for you to try to predict the service life of a boot from its initial stiffness. And, in recent years, manufacturers have been changing boot designs and materials more frequently than they have in the past (with exceptions).
Wowow this is all very confusing lol. Trying to wrap my head around it. Boots are so confusing.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
That’s a relief. So I’m assuming they are NOTHING like Risport Electra Light? Despite the relatively similar ish stiffness rating? I’m hoping there’s a very big difference. I really like the look of Jackson Debut!
Believe me when I say a 60 or 65 (depending on boot you choose with Risport), is going to feel quite stiff compared to the 45 electra you are used to.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Wowow this is all very confusing lol. Trying to wrap my head around it. Boots are so confusing.
Yes it is confusing. The key takeaway is not to get hung up on numbers. Other than going through first-hand experience yourself (expensive and maybe painful), you'll need to rely on the advice of those who have gone through it. I keep hoping that industry standards will be developed, but I don't see any movement there. :rolleye:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
That’s such a relief! Thank you so much! I feel so irritating with my constant, repetitive posts. I like to be very certain on things lol. Sorry about all this! Thank you!
No need to apologize. This is an expensive sport. And you are taking the effort to learn about equipment before plunking down a lot of money (whether yours or your parents'). That's a good step.

Besides, the annoying posts are those from skaters who buy Ice Flies after repeated warnings not to ... because they look so cool and all the other skaters at the rink wear them and Edea says you can't overboot in Edeas. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Vladik

On the Ice
Yes it is confusing. The key takeaway is not to get hung up on numbers. Other than going through first-hand experience yourself (expensive and maybe painful), you'll need to rely on the advice of those who have gone through it. I keep hoping that industry standards will be developed, but I don't see any movement there. :rolleye:
Thank you so much! Gonna take you guys’ word for things. I was initially going to go to Everglides in June, but my boots are breaking down worse day by day, so I’ve convinced my mum to push the date a little forward. So it’ll be sometime in April. I’ll mostly rely on their opinion! :)

Vladik

On the Ice
No need to apologize. This is an expensive sport. And you are taking the effort to learn about equipment before plunking down a lot of money (whether yours or your parents'). That's a good step.

Besides, the annoying posts are those from skaters who buy Ice Flies after repeated warnings not to ... because they look so cool and all the other skaters at the rink wear them and Edea says you can't overboot in Edeas. :biggrin:
Thank you so much once again. I’ve got £450 of my own money saved right now, some of which will be going towards coronation ace blades. My mum will be contributing some money too, but a lot of it will go towards the journey to Everglides as it is about 5 hours away and petrol is expensive nowadays. I’m still saving though, and my birthdays in May, so I think I’m getting early money from that for my skates too! I’m really grateful and happy about it. I do overthink things a little though. :biggrin:

From now until April I’ll probably be doing more research, so expect loads more posts hahah.

I must admit Edea Ice Fly’s are pretty cool looking, just don’t think Edea’s would work for me and besides, Ice Flys would be too advanced. I’ve never really understood the Edea hype regarding their appearance. All my friends at my rink are obsessed with them. I personally always preferred the appearance of Risports, I like the wooden-style heel!

Vladik

On the Ice
Nope they're 45 for women. I wouldn't have you in anything lower than a Premiere. BTW---Please just get pro fitted and they can tell you what BRAND fits your foot properly.
Damn, 45?? That’s a shame! And yes yes I will get fitted. Just like planning ahead hahah! Everglides recommended I get a digital fitting first, or just like a video call sort of thing so they can briefly assess me and make sure they have all the resources I require, since I’m coming from quite far away. So I think I’ll do that in the upcoming couple months.

Vladik

On the Ice
Don't ever be afraid of asking questions! It's the best way to learn. It would be great if you could update us on jour journey. :)
Thank you so much! I feel like I do overdo it with the questions a little, I just like learning about skating and that way I can do my best!!!!

I’d love to give updates, would I just do that via comments?

Little tonight update hahah: had my lesson tonight, Level 8 Skate UK. My left inside twizzle is giving me a hard time, my right is going good! Seeing some improvement in my one foot spin too. I’ll make sure to spend this Saturday practising those! :)