Stiffness Levels? More boot help!!! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Stiffness Levels? More boot help!!!

loveohio

Rinkside
The difference between Rf3 and Royal Pro is the Royals are designed with a loose ankle, while the Rf3s have a traditional snug-fitting ankle. And different materials: the Royal boots are made of microfiber (like the Electras), but the Rf3s are made of leather.

My daughter, 12 currently, last year broke down her Electras quickly; she was complaining about them being too soft after 9 months of wear and they were completely dead at 12 months. We moved her to Rf3, and despite growing 3 inches and gaining 10 lbs, the boots are still totally stiff and not creased after 16 months of wear. She skates 12-15h per week, and she's now 5 ft 2 in, 95 pounds. Big jumper, and working on beginning triples.

I think the Rf3s will do you well, if Risport fits your feet well. If the boots you choose dont fit the shape of your foot well, or if they are too large, the can break down much faster than they otherwise would. So make sure you get a good fit.

Vladik

On the Ice
The difference between Rf3 and Royal Pro is the Royals are designed with a loose ankle, while the Rf3s have a traditional snug-fitting ankle. And different materials: the Royal boots are made of microfiber (like the Electras), but the Rf3s are made of leather.

My daughter, 12 currently, last year broke down her Electras quickly; she was complaining about them being too soft after 9 months of wear and they were completely dead at 12 months. We moved her to Rf3, and despite growing 3 inches and gaining 10 lbs, the boots are still totally stiff and not creased after 16 months of wear. She skates 12-15h per week, and she's now 5 ft 2 in, 95 pounds. Big jumper, and working on beginning triples.

I think the Rf3s will do you well, if Risport fits your feet well. If the boots you choose dont fit the shape of your foot well, or if they are too large, the can break down much faster than they otherwise would. So make sure you get a good fit.
Thank you! I did worry about the Royal Pro’s, as 1.) I worried they may be too advanced, and 2.) The loose ankle doesn’t seem great for me, as I need a lot of ankle support (hence why I’m steering clear of Edea).

I think RF3 Pro’s could work and I’m going to try them. The thing is I’m not even sure if Risport “works for me”, as I’ve had no experience in any other brands!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you! I did worry about the Royal Pro’s, as 1.) I worried they may be too advanced, and 2.) The loose ankle doesn’t seem great for me, as I need a lot of ankle support (hence why I’m steering clear of Edea).

I think RF3 Pro’s could work and I’m going to try them. The thing is I’m not even sure if Risport “works for me”, as I’ve had no experience in any other brands!
Ok first of all, the Royal Pros are a 5 stiffness rating over RF3 Pros, not too much and too advanced, as I've said before. Also, the ankles aren't that LOOSE. They are nothing like an edea if that is what you are thinking of. It is just different material in one spot.

I've given you my suggestions and I am rarely if ever wrong with fitting people to proper boots, in 6 years here and offline longer. ;)

I've also worn for a very long time and competed(in the past) in Risport for years and know the boots quite well.

Vladik

On the Ice
Ok first of all, the Royal Pros are a 5 stiffness rating over RF3 Pros, not too much and too advanced, as I've said before. Also, the ankles aren't that LOOSE. They are nothing like an edea if that is what you are thinking of. It is just different material in one spot.

I've given you my suggestions and I am rarely if ever wrong with fitting people to proper boots, in 6 years here and offline longer. ;)

I've also worn for a very long time and competed(in the past) in Risport for years and know the boots quite well.
Thank you so much! I did worry they’d be like Edeas with the whole ankle thing. I really value ankle support.

I’ll take your word for it! I really appreciate all the help and advice. :biggrin:

Vladik

On the Ice
Yes don't worry about the Royal Pros. I've worn them and loved them and I absolutely loathed Edea's fit around the ankles.
Thank you! Never tried Edea’s but just have a feeling they’re not for me, I need ankle support. People say you apparently get used to the loose ankle but I just don’t think it’s something that’d work for me.

How did they feel for you? I know the loose ankle allows for more bend, did it also cause more ankle pronation and just less overall support?

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I hated Edeas because I like ALL the ankle support and a snug fitting. The Royal Pros fitted snugly and gave me all the support I needed. I changed to Jacksons (5320s) for reasons related to arthritis and swelling in my feet, not the ankle support. I'd have Royal Pros again in a heartbeat. The ankle is not loose. The reason they are compared with Edeas is because the tongue isn't a wrap-around one, like traditional boots, and in that way is more like Edea's construction, but really the two boot types are not similar.

Vladik

On the Ice
I hated Edeas because I like ALL the ankle support and a snug fitting. The Royal Pros fitted snugly and gave me all the support I needed. I changed to Jacksons (5320s) for reasons related to arthritis and swelling in my feet, not the ankle support. I'd have Royal Pros again in a heartbeat. The ankle is not loose. The reason they are compared with Edeas is because the tongue isn't a wrap-around one, like traditional boots, and in that way is more like Edea's construction, but really the two boot types are not similar.
What a relief. Do you know what sort of tongue Risport Electra Lights have? They don’t seem very wrap around to me, however that might be because I’ve broken them down quite a lot. I remember they did used to wrap around if I recall correctly. They’ve really flattened out though.

Most of the time when I store my boots, I leave the tongue out to allow my skates to air out as I was recommended to do so. But occasionally I sort of tightly tuck the tongue in so it moulds back to its wrap around shape. It’s a bit of a temporary fix. I’m not sure if I should be doing that. My boots are on their last legs anyway, so will be getting new ones in May.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
What a relief. Do you know what sort of tongue Risport Electra Lights have? They don’t seem very wrap around to me, however that might be because I’ve broken them down quite a lot. I remember they did used to wrap around if I recall correctly. They’ve really flattened out though.

Most of the time when I store my boots, I leave the tongue out to allow my skates to air out as I was recommended to do so. But occasionally I sort of tightly tuck the tongue in so it moulds back to its wrap around shape. It’s a bit of a temporary fix. I’m not sure if I should be doing that. My boots are on their last legs anyway, so will be getting new ones in May.
Don't try to compare higher rated boots to beginner line like electra lites. They are lesser quality boots compared to the higher, stiffer rated ones LOL. Most beginner boots are not greatly constructed b/c they don't need to really be. ;)

Last edited:

Vladik

On the Ice
Don't try to compare higher rated boots to beginner line like electra lites. They are lesser quality boots compared to the higher, stiffer rated ones LOL. Most beginner boots are not greatly constructed b/c they don't need to really be. ;)
Thank you so much!

starryskate

Rinkside
@Ic3Rabbit To be honest, I've never quite understood why the beginner boots are usually so uncomfortable. Complete rec skates come cushioned, serious beginner boots don't. Obviously little Susie will want the comfy one, so that's what her parents are going to buy. It won't work and she either quits or gets a new pair.

Is there any technical reasoning?