The state of Canadian figure skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The state of Canadian figure skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i agree totally with this
To kind of add to SkaterBoy's first post, people are always all over the board on this message site. Many never look at the big picture but base their evalutions and predictions on ONE competition, leaving little to faith that the next competition will be better or that the skater maybe just had a bad skate. I don't think you can ever count out elite skaters in the big competitions. If the skater has the goods to begin with....they can always surprise you. I honestly think Worlds is wide open this year - even the men's competition. But I hate to read the gloom and doom posts. It just reminds me of when Dick Button was commentating and a skater would miss something and he wrote them off for the entire competition. I imagine he'd be having a litter of Dalmatians with this new point system.

I'm not Canadian and am partial to US skaters but I think Canada has a strong figure skating system and a great future.

Daniel1998

Final Flight
It was a bit of a lousy showing for Canadians at 4CC (though Chan can save it) but the general landscape for Canadian figure skating looks pretty darn good.

In men obviously Chan is still trying to find his form, and I think he's getting closer. He performed quite well at Nationals and just needs to find his consistency. He's already working on a 4S and looks to be close to putting it into his programs. Nam has so much potential, and it's been a bit of a nightmare season for him but hopefully they're just growing pains and he'll work his way out of his problems. There's some talent in the junior levels too- Roman Sadovsky is a beautiful skater who will make a mark once he finds his quads, and the same goes for Nicolas Nadeau.

I don't think there have ever been three world-class skaters in the ladies department in Canada. It used to just be Osmond, and now there are three skaters who are capable of top ten finishes at worlds. I'm a bit mad that Osmond is not going to worlds, seeing as she just owned Chartrand today and now owns the two best Canadian free skate scores of the season at an international level. Anyway, Osmond is a superb skater with massive jumps, and if she can ever find consistency, the judges will award her the PCS she deserves. She is the Canadian skater who I really believe has top 5 potential at worlds when clean. Chartrand's got two excellent programs this season and a killer lutz-toe, she just needs to put it all together again like she did at Nationals. Daleman is a good fighter, and while I don't think she has that high of a ceiling, she can still post solid skates. Canada has the depth, but someone just has to finally break out.

Duhamel and Radford are having a bit of a down year, but they still have a chance to podium at Worlds and maybe even win if they're flawless. Seguin and Bilodeau are the team of the future though- I love their chemistry on ice and their consistency. We could be a seeing a lot of them in the future, and that makes the future of pairs in Canada very exciting. Luba and Dylan need to get their SBS jumps in order, but they're lovely to watch as well.

I think Canada has great depth in ice dance. Weaver/Poje, while I am not in love with their free program, had a rough 4CC this week but if they can find the levels, they too may win Worlds. Gilles/Poirier have such a unique style that makes it hard for me to keep my eyes off of them, and I hope their quirkiness will be appreciated eventually by the judges. We also have Paul/Islam and Paradis/Ouellette, the latter of whom I personally believe deserve higher marks than they get. Their free program is just lovely, and I am so excited for them at worlds.

There's a lot of GOOD in Canada right now, and there's so much potential for world medals either this year or in the future if the right people start to really shine.

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
i adore GP this year as well...

As they have improved their ranking every season, I'd be sad if they don't at least stay in 6th this year... tough to do though with perhaps 3 american, 1 french, 1 italian, 1 other canadian and 2 or 3 russian teams ahead...

Russia only has two spots, so three Russians is not a possibility. But there's still all three Americans, Weapo, P/C, B/S and C/L, plus possibly S/K if Nikita doesn't die on his twizzles. But many of those couples are known for just that (messing up their twizzles) and not hitting levels, so who knows?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
i agree totally with this

Sure. I can see your point. It is certainly possible with Duhamel and Radford, Chan, Weaver and Poje and I guess next year for Osmond - all these skaters for Canada have shown they have the goods (Osmond lesser but she was moving up quickly until injuries - and she has two things which Chartrand and Daleman don't have - personality that shines on the ice and better skating skills/pcs.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well... it's official... Virtue and Moir are coming back... I guess that makes Canada a powerhouse in Ice Dance :)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do skaters not retire anymore? To be honest i'm so done with the skaters from the previous cycle who can't seem to let go. The younger teams and skaters are doing just fine without them and i find it to be a more interesting time now.

moriel

Record Breaker
Do skaters not retire anymore? To be honest i'm so done with the skaters from the previous cycle who can't seem to let go. The younger teams and skaters are doing just fine without them and i find it to be a more interesting time now.

The more the merrier
Only exception is russian pairs, where id like K/S to skate forever and A/R have more visibility, and everybody else to retire.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Now I do hope Canada can hold onto their 3 spots at Worlds... really though it's up to Piper and Paul, the spot they are skating to save is their own so hopefully they'll be able to skate strong and save it.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think Patrick Chan just brought it home! Sooo happy for him. He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack. :agree::hap57:

And to keep in line witih this thread...............Patrick DID save it.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Now I do hope Canada can hold onto their 3 spots at Worlds... really though it's up to Piper and Paul, the spot they are skating to save is their own so hopefully they'll be able to skate strong and save it.
Actually I think it is up to a few teams. Hubbell and donahoe really control a lot and could be the spoilers in respect to Russia getting three spots or Canada holding on. Also, if W and P can get on the podium G and P should have no problem holding on to top ten. but if w and p fall to say 6th (behind say 3 Americans, Italians, French and heck could even be 7th behind a Russian team. One would think though W and P would beat Hubbell and donoahoe or B and s or both.

Really it seems though it would be hard for the Russians to get three spots.

In any order

France, Shibs, Chock and Bates, Weaver and Poje, Italians then B and s in 6th which means s and K have to get 7th ahead of Hubbell and donahoe who have the momentum and Gilles and prier assuming they beat Coomes and /buckland Really b and s need to get 5thsomehow to give Russia a better chance for three spots. I am predicting one or two of those dance teams will be dumped - most likely W and P or C and B or B and S of the top teams.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It was a bit of a lousy showing for Canadians at 4CC (though Chan can save it) but the general landscape for Canadian figure skating looks pretty darn good.

In men obviously Chan is still trying to find his form, and I think he's getting closer. He performed quite well at Nationals and just needs to find his consistency. He's already working on a 4S and looks to be close to putting it into his programs. Nam has so much potential, and it's been a bit of a nightmare season for him but hopefully they're just growing pains and he'll work his way out of his problems. There's some talent in the junior levels too- Roman Sadovsky is a beautiful skater who will make a mark once he finds his quads, and the same goes for Nicolas Nadeau.

I don't think there have ever been three world-class skaters in the ladies department in Canada. It used to just be Osmond, and now there are three skaters who are capable of top ten finishes at worlds. I'm a bit mad that Osmond is not going to worlds, seeing as she just owned Chartrand today and now owns the two best Canadian free skate scores of the season at an international level. Anyway, Osmond is a superb skater with massive jumps, and if she can ever find consistency, the judges will award her the PCS she deserves. She is the Canadian skater who I really believe has top 5 potential at worlds when clean. Chartrand's got two excellent programs this season and a killer lutz-toe, she just needs to put it all together again like she did at Nationals. Daleman is a good fighter, and while I don't think she has that high of a ceiling, she can still post solid skates. Canada has the depth, but someone just has to finally break out.

Duhamel and Radford are having a bit of a down year, but they still have a chance to podium at Worlds and maybe even win if they're flawless. Seguin and Bilodeau are the team of the future though- I love their chemistry on ice and their consistency. We could be a seeing a lot of them in the future, and that makes the future of pairs in Canada very exciting. Luba and Dylan need to get their SBS jumps in order, but they're lovely to watch as well.

I think Canada has great depth in ice dance. Weaver/Poje, while I am not in love with their free program, had a rough 4CC this week but if they can find the levels, they too may win Worlds. Gilles/Poirier have such a unique style that makes it hard for me to keep my eyes off of them, and I hope their quirkiness will be appreciated eventually by the judges. We also have Paul/Islam and Paradis/Ouellette, the latter of whom I personally believe deserve higher marks than they get. Their free program is just lovely, and I am so excited for them at worlds.

There's a lot of GOOD in Canada right now, and there's so much potential for world medals either this year or in the future if the right people start to really shine.

I am wondering if Chan can somehow do another triple triple combo that would open up a jumping pass to do the quad sal which if fully rotated even with a fall would be worth like an additional triple jump - placed in second half it would be like a clean triple.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am wondering if Chan can somehow do another triple triple combo that would open up a jumping pass to do the quad sal which if fully rotated even with a fall would be worth like an additional triple jump - placed in second half it would be like a clean triple.

Chan used to do 3lz/1L/3s.

moon

On the Ice
I just watched the daily motion of G/P's exhibition program they did last weekend. Did he actually lift his leg and pee on her???

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I just watched the daily motion of G/P's exhibition program they did last weekend. Did he actually lift his leg and pee on her???

Yeah, it's like he's marking her as his by taking a leak on her. :laugh:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

G/P did this exhibition number at the Skate Niagara show in February, and my husband, who willingly tagged along (unlike other unfortunate skating fans with non-skating-enthused spouses, I don't have to handcuff him to come to skating events), was literally furious over this entire program. A week after the show he was still randomly getting irritated about it and saying: "that wolf and sheep number was the dumbest thing I've ever seen!" :laugh2: Maybe I should bring it up whoever I want to get a rise out of him. :laugh:

moon

On the Ice
Apparently Kurt Browning choreographed it. He and G/P's coach Carol Lane commentate skate events together on Canadian TV.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
G/P did this exhibition number at the Skate Niagara show in February, and my husband, who willingly tagged along (unlike other unfortunate skating fans with non-skating-enthused spouses, I don't have to handcuff him to come to skating events), was literally furious over this entire program. A week after the show he was still randomly getting irritated about it and saying: "that wolf and sheep number was the dumbest thing I've ever seen!" :laugh2: Maybe I should bring it up whoever I want to get a rise out of him. :laugh:

Lucky guy, Sarah! You and 4everchan would be my dream date(s) at a skating event. Please bring your hubby as well, as I would my wife, who also laughs at some of the questionable performances. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
HEHE ;) i heard my name :) i use to have inappropriate nicknames for some skating moves... but now i just shut up and :rolleye:
Lucky guy, Sarah! You and 4everchan would be my dream date(s) at a skating event. Please bring your hubby as well, as I would my wife, who also laughs at some of the questionable performances. :)