Time to speculate: Russia in a tight squeeze! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Time to speculate: Russia in a tight squeeze!

gmyers

Record Breaker
I don't think Plushenko skating in the team would be worth as much TV wise if he skated in the individual. Individual would have more drama. Because team means if he medals it will be as a team. Skating in the individual would be more real and a bigger test. So if anything even if team is a better shot at a medal he's more likely to skip team than skip individual. If that's even allowed. I am not aware of a rule that forbids a skater if there is only one from skipping the team to do individual. Might be bad publicity even in Russia for plushenko to skip team and harm severely russias chances at a medal but what about the athlete doing what they feel is best for them and what they really want to do. Like Shani davis in America skipping something in 2006 to focus on the individual. That got some backlash for davis but he was like I am here to do what I think is best for myself but also country as well. This is why if Plushenko is not totally on and kovtun or gachinski and or voronov or menshov are all ready and able to do team and individual why go with Plushenko? Because he is so famous and a marquee name a and a legend? But what if he skips team? or does team and skips individual? Or does both but in a mediocre way or just individual in a mediocre way and maybe can't even do anything in individual like 3A or quad? There is only man available to Russia and that person must do team and individual and it will look bad for Russia if they send plushenko and he pulls out before individual leaving Russia in the embarrassing and ridiculous situation of having no man in the mens singles!!! Even if everyone knows the reason is that Plushneko is too injured! That also makes Russia look ridiculous. Their only man couldn't do both and there are no others.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I haven't yet found a satisfactory answer to my one burning question: at what point is a team allowed to send a replacement?

Say Plushenko does skate the team event, and breaks himself permanently doing so (touch wood). Can Russia send a replacement for singles or is it simply tough luck? If it's the latter, then I despise the team event's timing even more.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
.... I am not aware of a rule that forbids a skater if there is only one from skipping the team to do individual. ....

This is why if Plushenko is not totally on and kovtun or gachinski and or voronov or menshov are all ready and able to do team and individual why go with Plushenko? Because he is so famous and a marquee name a and a legend? But what if he skips team? .... There is only man available to Russia and that person must do team and individual and it will look bad for Russia if they send plushenko and he pulls out before individual leaving Russia in the embarrassing and ridiculous situation of having no man in the mens singles!!! Even if everyone knows the reason is that Plushneko is too injured! That also makes Russia look ridiculous. Their only man couldn't do both and there are no others.

Sorry, have not been following this thread. Can't tell whether gmyers really is not aware of the ISU rule. :confused2:
In any case, the ISU has stated the rule clearly. Russia's one man competing in the men's event must skate in the team event as well (unless Russia chooses not to participate in the team event at all).
The official language:

NOCs/ISU Members with Teams who have qualified Skaters/Couples in an individual OWG competition/discipline (the “qualified Skaters/Couples”) in Single Lady, Single Man, Pair Skating, Ice Dance) and who have chosen to compete in the Figure Skating Team Event, must list the respective qualified Skaters/Couples of such discipline also as entries for the Figure Skating Team Event and may not enter different Skaters/Couples for such discipline.

Also, the same NOCs/ISU Members must have their Skaters competing in all the competitions/disciplines of the Figure Skating Team event for which they have entries in the individual OWG competition/discipline. This means that if for example an NOC/Member has only one entry for a discipline/competition, this Skater or couple may not choose to skate only the individual OWG competition and skip the Figure Skating Team Event competition.

I don't agree that the men's individual event will be more exciting that the team competition. The team event might inject new life into Olympic figure skating.

What would be even more cool would be a real team competition, not just each person going separately then add up the scores.

For instance, you could have a relay where each skater does a little stint then hands off to his/her teammate. The PCSs would reflect how well coordinated the entire performance was. :yes:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Sorry, have not been following this thread. Can't tell whether gmyers really is not aware of the ISU rule. :confused2:
In any case, the ISU has stated the rule clearly. Russia's one man competing in the men's event must skate in the team event as well (unless Russia chooses not to participate in the team event at all).
The official language:

NOCs/ISU Members with Teams who have qualified Skaters/Couples in an individual OWG competition/discipline (the “qualified Skaters/Couples”) in Single Lady, Single Man, Pair Skating, Ice Dance) and who have chosen to compete in the Figure Skating Team Event, must list the respective qualified Skaters/Couples of such discipline also as entries for the Figure Skating Team Event and may not enter different Skaters/Couples for such discipline.

Also, the same NOCs/ISU Members must have their Skaters competing in all the competitions/disciplines of the Figure Skating Team event for which they have entries in the individual OWG competition/discipline. This means that if for example an NOC/Member has only one entry for a discipline/competition, this Skater or couple may not choose to skate only the individual OWG competition and skip the Figure Skating Team Event competition.

I just read that!!

Had a link to the page and everything!

http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=4404

I was looking it up because it seems like just as if a skater cant be replaced between a SP and LP a skater can't be replaced between team and individual! That are totally connected in every way if there is only one skater entered. There is no substitutions allowed in any way unless it happens before everything begins. That if plushenko totally knocks himself out after team FS than that's it! Russia has no man in singles.

If you are excited about the mens event I don't think seeing the men in team will even come close to satiating that hunger to see the men compete. Like team is team and men is men and if you want to see plushenko skate that you will have been thinking about him in singles not in team.

Speaking of the team event, it just struck me that it is possible that in three of the four disciplines the individual winner might be from a country that didn't even field a team. Kim, Fernandez (or Ten), and Savchenko/Szolkowy.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I think that goes to show all around strength in all of the disciplines. People know who has that without a team event but making it an event to show how who is best Canada USA or Russia when really put all together could be interesting. As long as it doesn't drive out someone like plushenko due to overwork. He's going for singles men event. It seemed that way and not just to skate in any form. Gachinski or kovtun could do both more reliably.

ForeverFish

Medalist
What about the ladies? With just two spots, 2014 RN will be a fight to the death. :popcorn:

What I want to happen: Sotnikova and Lipnitskaia
What I think will happen: Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva

gmyers

Record Breaker
It is definitely leonovas last chance so she should be fighting hard. All the others are more 2018 oriented. Liza and adleina were 9th and 10th at worlds so it's really looking awful for them. Leonova was even lower but has a worlds silver and a 4th place so if she gets back on track if skating well could easily do better than Liza or Adelina or Julia who could all go to 2018.