#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Ladies: Cohen, Hughes, Slutskaya
Men: Lysacek, Fernandez, Buttle
Pairs: Sale/ Pelletier, Shen/ Zhao, Totmianina/ Marinin
Dance: Belbin/ Agosto, Virtue/ Moir, Navka/ Kostomarov

RedDress

Rinkside
My top 3 is just a response to how jaw dropping gorgeous their routines were. Never will forget how Rodrina and Zeitsev had their music sabotaged and still won!

Ladies: Michele Kwan -
Yuna Kim -
Dorothy Hamill

Men: Kurt Browning.
Alexei Yagudin
Patrick Chan

Pairs. Gordeeva and Grinkov
Rodrina And Zeitsev
Salé and Pelletier

Dance: Virtue and Moir
Torvill and Dean
Klimova and Ponomarenko

Sabrina

Record Breaker
May I try;
Men, brrr

1. John Curry (When I discovered him on youtube he was already up in the sky, but my jaw dropped)
2. Plushenko for his sheer long dominance
3. Yuzuru Hanyu-the complete skater

Ladies:
1. Mao Asada
2. Denise Bielmann
3. Julia Lipniskaya

Platinum: Sasha Cohen, Maria Butirskaya, and the great Yuna Kim

Pairs:
1. Mishkutenok/Kazatkina/Dimitrov
2. Aliona and Bruno -the best pairs program -Olympics 2018
3. Elena Berezjnaya and Anton Shigarulitze (spelling issues)

Dance:
1. Torvill/Dean
2. Anissina/Peizerat
3. Virtue/Moir

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Men:
1 Dick Button (2 time Oly. gold)
2 John Curry
3 Yuzuru Hanyu (2 time Oly. gold)

Ladies:
1 Dorothy Hamill
2 Katarina Witt (2 time Oly. gold)
3 Yuna Kim

Dance:
1 Torvill & Dean
2 Davis & White
3 Papadakis & Cizeron

Pairs:
1 Protopopovs
2 Shen & Zhao
3 Gordeeva & Grinkov

rugbyfan

On the Ice
Wow... doing this makes me realise how many of my favourite skaters never won the gold medal - for instance, Kurt Browning's Casablanca is one of my standout programs of all time whereas I barely remember Urmanov's ( I remember the costume more) and yet I can't put it on the list. Similarly Kwan and Chan are out.

Men
1) Yagudin
2) John Curry (the only one on my list from before I was watching skating, but I have rewatched so many times that how can I not count it)
3) Hanyu (though on rewatching from before my time, it might also be Robin Cousings, but comparing these two makes me realise how impossible this is)

Women (my least favourite discipline and so the one I have least watched/ re-watched; and the one where I feel the gold medal places least reflect the best skaters)
1) Katarina Wit (1988)
2) Yuna Kim (despite her beating Mao)
3) Yamaguchi ??? - I have a feeling it ought to be Arakawa but this happened at a time when I could not easily watch figure skating and it is one of the few Olympic programs I haven't rewatched

Pairs (this list is HARD - I want at least three more medal places; other than perhaps 1994 this is the discipline where I feel the best skaters of the Olympiad have tended to win the gold medal)
1) Mishketunek and Dmitriev
2) Gordeeva and Grinkov
3) Savchenko and Massot

Dance
1) Torvill and Dean (because they brought me into figure skating and still mesmerize me
2) Virtue and Moir (From the day they turned senior I followed and loved this team)
3) Klimova and Ponomarenko

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I like this thread:

Men:
1. Hanyu
2. Boitano
3. Plushenko

Women:
1. Yuna Kim
2. Katerina Witt
3. Barbara Ann Scott (she's from my hometown and still a big hero here-there is a museum at city hall and an arena named after her and beside she was a super classy lady right up until her death.

Pairs:
1. G/G forever
2. S/Z
3. M/D-I was less impressed with him and K. Oksana's death spiral was painful to watch.

Dance:
1. Torvill and Dean
2. Virtue and Moir
2. Klimova and Ponomarenko (I'm still a little cheesed over Calgary btw)

Some of you didn't read the original post. OGM's only.

Kurt will always be my favourite male skater of all time.

Last edited:

rugbyfan

On the Ice
I like this thread:

Men:
1. Hanyu
2. Boitano
3. Plushenko

I dithered about Boitano but I could not give him it because I really thought Orser should win that battle. Admittedly, I was extraordinarily emotionally invested in Orser so not exactly impartial. I can still see both of their skates in my head better than almost any other gold medal winning performance so possibly he should have been on my list.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Hihihi. I read the orginal post allright. I just cheated in making my own list (although I did stick to Olympic medallists).

Cheater, cheater pumpkin eater.

No.. I was just thinking that I had made a mistake when I saw my boy Kurt on people's lists. I was all.. I thought It had to be OGM's. :)cry: No Olympic medal for Kurt..::sad4:)

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I like this thread:

Men:
1. Hanyu
2. Boitano
3. Plushenko

I dithered about Boitano but I could not give him it because I really thought Orser should win that battle. Admittedly, I was extraordinarily emotionally invested in Orser so not exactly impartial. I can still see both of their skates in my head better than almost any other gold medal winning performance so possibly he should have been on my list.

I really was rooting for Orser but very soon after I realized Boitano was the right winner. I picked Boitano because it was the '88 games that really made me a figure skating fan and the battle of the Brians was a big part of that. And G/G.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Ladies:
Gold: Kim. 2010
Silver: Witt. 1988
Bronze: Yamaguchi. 1992
Hon mention: Lipinski in 1998 for the tech, and beating Kwan - but lacking maturity.

Men:
Gold: Brian Boitano. 1988.
Silver: John Curry. 1976.
Bronze: Alexei Yagudin 2002.
Hon. Mention: Hanyu 2018 - had he not committed 2 errors, he'd def. podium.

Pairs:
Gold: Savchenko/Massot, 2018.
Silver: Shen/Zhao, 2010.
Bronze: Gordeeva/Grinkov. 1988
Hon. Mention: Totmiannina/Marinin on here, because they were so clean and technically strong, but not a huge fan of their programs.

Dance:
Gold: Virtue/Moir, 2018.
Silver: Torvill/Dean, 1984.
Bronze: Klimova/Ponomarenko, 1992.
Hon. Mention: Davis/White. 2014 - in a practical tie with K/P, but I think K/P brought the artistry just a tad more.

RedDress

Rinkside
Yikes I guess I have to revise my list, all but Ice Dance remains the same as before.
Virtue Moir 2010 and 2018
Torvill Dean 1984
Klimova Pomomareko 1992

Torvill and Dean were a sensation in Sarajevo and changed the sport, but when they tried a comeback in Lillehammer it just didn’t happen, the precident of an ice dance team trying a comeback had been frowned upon. So I love the comeback kids V/M who also put their distinctive style in ice dance. Honorable mention to Klimova and Pomomarenko whose Bach piece just mesmerized me from beginning to end.

Ladies
Yuna Kim 2010
Dorothy Hamill 1976
Kristie Yamaguchi 1992
Kwan is my all time fave tho’

Yuna was perfection in Vancouver. Not since Michelle Kwan did I believe the artistry came from deep within.

Men
Alexei Yagudin 2002
Dick Button 1948 and 1952
Scott Hamilton 1984
Kurt is my fave never won OGM

Pairs
Gordeeva and Grinkov 1988 and 1994
Rodrina and Ulnaov/Zeitsev 1972; 1976; 1980
Sale and Pelletier 2002

As a Canuck the Virtue Moir 2 time win is really special because my fave Canadians who should have OGMs based on their stellar careers come up short. Only V/M have surpassed all jinx and all expectations to truly become legends. Could not have happened to a nicer team

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Ladies
Gold: Yuna Kim 2014
Silver: Yuna Kim 2010
Bronze: Kristi Yamaguchi 1992
Honorable mention: Lu Chen 1998, not Oly champion, but her skate at Nagano was golden to my eyes.

Men
Gold: Alexei Yagudin 2002
Silver: John Curry 1978
Bronze: Ilia Kulik 1998
Honorable mention: Daisuke Takahashi in 2010; again not Oly champion but I would like to give the gold to the most brilliant performer in the whole event.

Pairs
Gold: Savchenko & Massot 2018
Silver: Shen & Zhao 2010
Bronze: Mishkutienok & Dmitriev 1992 & 1994
Honorable mention: Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze 2002 (should've been the sole OGM)

Dance
Gold: Torville & Dean 1984
Silver: Klimova & Ponomarenko 1992
Bronze: Anissina & Peizerat 2002
Honorable mention: Virtue & Moir 2018 as their second OGM

MeineKatze

On the Ice
1. Mao Asada ( I don’t care what color her Olympic medal is, she is THE champion among champions)
2. Sotnikova
3. Zagitova

1. Pooh lover Yuzuru
2. Alexei Yagudin
3. Boitano

trevortryst

Match Penalty
If you are talking about who would come out on top in a competition it would clearly be

Pairs:

Gold- Volosozhar & Trankov

Silver- Savchenko & Massot; Savchenko & Szolkowy could not have beaten V&T even skating perfectly in Sochi, and even if S&M are arguably a better team than S&Z it isn't by that much. And on top of that S&M weren't perfect, a big mistake by him in the short, so V&T would have beaten them.

Bronze- Gordeeva & Grinkov. But it is impossible to compare difficulty standards of 88 to today. Considering for the time they are probably gold over both pairs.

Totmianina & Marinin might medal as they were fab in Turin, but they lack the spark and extra presentation quality/artistry of the above teams. Shen & Zhao in Vancouver and Miskutienok & Dmitriev in Albertville had mistakes so would not medal; same with Gordeeva & Grinkov in Lillehammer.

Men

Gold- Hanyu 2018

Silver- Yagudin 2002

Bronze- Kulik 1998

Although under 6.0 2002 Yagudin might win over Hanyu for the perfect skate vs one with mistakes. And again unfair to fairly give credit to 2002 difficulty vs 2018, so considering that Yagudin probably wins.

Dance

Gold- Virtue & Moir 2018

Silver- Torvill & Dean 1984

Bronze- Klimova & Ponomarenko 1992

Under 6.0 T&D and K&P probably go 1-2, while under IJS the last 3 Olympic winners probably sweep. Impossible to compare difficulty and technical demands of dance over time, so I tried to take the best balance.

Ladies

Gold- Kim 2010- clearly under either IJS or 6.0. Only something like Games in Russia could stop it.

Silver- Zagitova 2018- atleast under IJS, 6.0 she might drop below 2nd on the presentation mark but I am not sure.

Bronze- Lipinski 1998- Come to think of it Zagitova does not compare unfavorably in artistry or technique to Tara so if this is bronze, Zag. is probably silver under either system.

Yamaguchi in 92 would have been a medal if she didn't fall on her triple loop, even with her doubled salchow.

- - - Updated - - -

1. Mao Asada ( I don’t care what color her Olympic medal is, she is THE champion among champions)
2. Sotnikova
3. Zagitova

:rofl:

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I didn't post my "rating" in this thread, but I'd like to count those answers which were posted :coffee:

I was giving 3 points for the "gold', 2 for the "silver", 1 for the "bronze".
Hanyu has 4 for the case, when he gets "gold" and "bronze".
And in this case I gave 1 point to each of them:
Silver - Plushenko/Yagudin - I was a bigger Plushenko fan back in the day because of those crazy good jumps, but Yagudin performed very well in his games and I admit he was a better all-arounder though I didn't like his jumps as much.
Bronze - Yagudin/Plushenko

So...

Hanyu 1+2+4+3+2+2+2+2+3+2+3+3+1+1+1+3+3+3=41
Yagudin 1+2+2+2+3+3+1+3+2+2+2+2+3+1+3+2+2=36
Curry 3+3+3+3+3+2+2+2+2=23
Plushenko 3+1+1+3+3+1+3+2+1=18
Boitano 1+3+1+2+1+2+3+1=14
Lysacek 1+3=4
Kulik 1+1+1=3
Chan 2+1=3
Browning 3
Button 3
Cousins 1+1=2
Fernandez 2
Graftsrom 2
Petrenko 1
Buttle 1

I was impressed by Curry's result :clapper:
if he was getting a "medal", he was getting only "gold", only later he started to get "silver"

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I didn't post my "rating", but I'd like to count :coffee:

I was giving 3 points for the "gold', 2 for the "silver", 1 for the "bronze".
Hanyu has 4 for the case, when he gets "gold" and "bronze".
And in this case I gave 1 point to each of them:

Hanyu 1+2+4+3+2+2+2+2+3+2+3+3+1+1+1+3+3+3=41
Yagudin 1+2+2+2+3+3+1+3+2+2+2+2+3+1+3+2+2=36
Curry 3+3+3+3+3+2+2+2+2=23
Plushenko 3+1+1+3+3+1+3+2+1=18
Boitano 1+3+1+2+1+2+3+1=14
Lysacek 1+3=4
Kulik 1+1+1=3
Chan 2+1=3
Browning 3
Button 3
Cousins 1+1=2
Fernandez 2
Graftsrom 2
Petrenko 1
Buttle 1

I was impressed by Curry's result :clapper:
if he was getting a "medal", he was getting only "gold", only later he started to get "silver"

This is interesting.

Curry result is great, specially because I don´t believe there was a lot of competitions back then.

What competitions did you take unto account? I would thought Javi would be higher...