US Team: 4CCs and Worlds (updated) | Golden Skate

US Team: 4CCs and Worlds (updated)

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
KANSAS CITY, Missouri (Jan. 22, 2017) – U.S. Figure Skating has announced its selections for the 2017 ISU World Figure Skating Championships, 2017 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships and 2017 ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships. The teams were selected following the 2017 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Kansas City, Missouri.

MEN
2017 World Championships
Jason Brown
Nathan Chen

Alternate 1 – Vincent Zhou
Alternate 2 – Grant Hochstein
Alternate 3 – Max Aaron

2017 Four Continents Championships
Jason Brown
Nathan Chen
Grant Hochstein

Alternate 1 – Ross Miner
Alternate 2 – Max Aaron
Alternate 3 – Alexander Johnson

2017 World Junior Championships
Alex Krasnozhon
Andrew Torgashev
Vincent Zhou

Alternate 1 – Camden Pulkinen
Alternate 2 – Kevin Shum
Alternate 3 – Tomoki Hiwatashi

LADIES
2017 World Championships
Mariah Bell
Karen Chen
Ashley Wagner

Alternate 1 – Mirai Nagasu
Alternate 2 – Gracie Gold
Alternate 3 – Caroline Zhang

Mariah Bell
Karen Chen
Mirai Nagasu

Alternate 1 – Gracie Gold
Alternate 2 – Courtney Hicks
Alternate 3 – Angela Wang

Amber Glenn
Bradie Tennell

Alternate 1 – Starr Andrews
Alternate 2 – Ashley Lin
Alternate 3 – Megan Wessenberg

PAIRS
2017 World Championships
Haven Denney and Brandon Frazier
Alexa Scimeca Knierim and Chris Knierim

Alternate 1 – Ashley Cain and Timothy LeDuc
Alternate 2 – Marissa Castelli and Mervin Tran
Alternate 3 – Deanna Stellato and Nathan Bartholomay

Ashley Cain and Timothy LeDuc
Haven Denney and Brandon Frazier
Alexa Scimeca Knierim and Chris Knierim

Alternate 1 – Marissa Castelli and Mervin Tran
Alternate 2 – Deanna Stellato and Nathan Bartholomay
Alternate 3 – Jessica Pfund and Joshua Santillan

Chelsea Liu and Brian Johnson
Nica Digerness and Danny Neudecker

Alternate 1 – Alexandria Yao and Austin Hale
Alternate 2 – Gabriella Marvaldi and Daniel Villeneuve
Alternate 3 – Laiken Lockley and Keenan Prochnow

ICE DANCE
2017 World Championships
Madison Chock and Evan Bates
Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue
Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani

Alternate 1 – Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker
Alternate 2 – Elliana Pogrebinsky and Alex Benoit
Alternate 3 – Julia Biechler and Damian Dodge

Madison Chock and Evan Bates
Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue
Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani

Alternate 1 – Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker
Alternate 2 – Elliana Pogrebinsky and Alex Benoit
Alternate 3 – Anastasia Cannuscio and Colin McManus

Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko
Lorraine McNamara and Quinn Carpenter
Rachel Parsons and Michael Parsons

Alternate 1 – Chloe Lewis and Logan Bye
Alternate 2 – Eliana Gropman and Ian Somerville
Alternate 3 – Emma Gunter and Caleb Wein

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow S/K are going to Worlds? Surprised that C/T didn't even get 4CC even though they beat C/L.

tulosai

Record Breaker
That's a slap in the face to Castelli and Tran... not even first alternates or 4CCs...

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
I'm glad to see that in addition to being named to the World Team, Bell/Chen/Wagner also can do 4CCs if they want to--and this year they may all want to. Also happy that Mirai is the 1st alternate for both.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
That's a slap in the face to Castelli and Tran... not even first alternates or 4CCs...

My theory has been that Castelli/Tran wouldd not get Four Continents b/c it is the Olympic test event in Korea.

They can't go to the 2018 Olympics b/c Tran does not have citizenship.

So more strategic (for 2018, including the team event) to let three pairs who have a shot at 2018 get the experience at the Olympic venue???

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'm glad to see that in addition to being named to the World Team, Bell/Chen/Wagner also can do 4CCs if they want to--and this year they may all want to. Also happy that Mirai is the 1st alternate for both.

Yeah overall I think they got the Senior Ladies right. The junior ladies, as usual...:noshake:

Tastetherainbow

Medalist
My theory has been that Castelli/Tran wouldd not get Four Continents b/c it is the Olympic test event in Korea.

So more strategic (for 2018, including the team event) to let three pairs who have a shot at 2018 get the experience at the Olympic venue???

That's probably just about right. According to NBC C/T aren't expecting citizenship in time for 2018 but for 2022 and I believe USFS knows this so they are probably giving other pairs that might represent the U.S. in 2018 more international exposure and recognition.

desertskates

Medalist
Wow, Castelli and Tran :eek:

So happy to see that the right team (imho) was chosen for the ladies! Wishing them all the best--it's going to be a tough fight to keep those 3 spots.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah overall I think they got the Senior Ladies right. The junior ladies, as usual...:noshake:

There are no Junior Ladies to pick that can get 3 spots back but Amber Glenn is a bit of a headcase. I was wondering why they didn't just send the Jr champion but she's too young.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I rather they send Tessa Hong. The other two girls are going to bomb so hard with terrible PCS. No chance they will do anything to help the current situation.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I rather they send Tessa Hong. The other two girls are going to bomb so hard with terrible PCS. No chance they will do anything to help the current situation.

Tessa gave it away with how she skated last night. To bad she has great potential though she needs to get more power and make those jumps bigger. It looks like she was overwhelmed to be in the final group of Ladies. Remember she hasn't even competed at Nationals since 2014 and she's never seen crowds like those from last night.

Last edited:

Plisskin

Medalist
They should have sent Starr and Tessa to Jr Worlds. Everything else I have no issue with. Including pairs. I like Mervissa, but Mervin won't get citizenship in time for the Olympics and USFSA is wisely investing in the ones who will be able to go. And they didn't exactly make the best case for themselves even for 4CC either with those 2 messy skates.

amc987

On the Ice
I don't even care about pairs, but damn. Marissa and Mervin must've pissed off someone important at USFS.

Pray that we get 3 spots for Pyeongchang in the ladies'.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
They should have sent Starr and Tessa to Jr Worlds. Everything else I have no issue with. Including pairs. I like Mervissa, but Mervin won't get citizenship in time for the Olympics and USFSA is wisely investing in the ones who will be able to go. And they didn't exactly make the best case for themselves even for 4CC either with those 2 messy skates.

Yes. Starr and Tessa to Jr. Worlds. Tessa is 14yo, she will represent the USA in the jr circuit for the next 2 years, she should get this opportunity. Starr is the de facto junior #1 since Kaitlyn is age-ineligible.

The other two have no business in the Jr. circuit and they aren't that good to begin with. Why waste the spots on them. It's not like they are Karen Chen.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Ouch for Castelli/Tran. ice coverage's reasoning makes sense, but that still has to sting. I hope it makes them so mad they get their SBS jumps together.

When will USFS start sending athletes who are competing as juniors internationally to junior worlds? That's when they need and can benefit from that competition, not as a consolation prize for a good showing at senior nationals.

noidont

Final Flight
USFSA still believes in sending 19 year old to lose to 14 year old at junior Worlds. Should be Amber and Tessa imo. Tessa is young and I suppose they thought she's got years of JW to look forward to...

Skye

On the Ice

This makes perfect sense for 4cc, but why are Castelli/Tran 2nd alternates for Worlds behind Cain/LeDuc?