Vincent Zhou Tests Positive for COVID | Golden Skate

Vincent Zhou Tests Positive for COVID

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Really? The SP is tomorrow. I know I was mad last night about Ilia not being at the Team Event. But, don’t take it out on Vincent 😥

I hope this doesn’t affect Nathan Chen or the the other American figure skaters.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
oh no. My heart goes out to him. I was all set to see him power through with 2 great individual skates. Not to mention I wanted to see his "Vincent" SP at the olympics. :(

Correction: Having seen the post above mine ... maybe it's a false positive and can be cleared up by the SP time.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i wouldn't worry too much just yet :

Yesterday, the Australian woman in curling tested positive but was cleared to play ... they were apparently getting ready to pack and go home but then the medical committee told them to go to the rink...

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh no, poor Vincent. Prayers that the test results are reversed, and that he is not truly ill:pray:

Ooof...guess the USFS should have flown out the 1st alternatives in case this happened...there won't even be enough time for Ilia to replace him if it's not a false positive

Where would alternates have stayed? The US Fed could not show up with extra athletes in each discipline in the closed loop "just in case", and China has a 21 day mandatory quarantine outside the loop.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Errrr what are the odds of someone catching it from Vincent?

Hubby told me some Aussies tested positive and then negative and could compete!

NAOTMAA

Medalist
i wouldn't worry too much just yet :

Yesterday, the Australian woman in curling tested positive but was cleared to play ... they were apparently getting ready to pack and go home but then the medical committee told them to go to the rink...
Maybe she showed no symptoms? What is the official policy at these Olympics? I read somewhere there is already 20 positive cases. Who knows if that's true but I would hate for it to run ramped.

I hope wheather he competes or not Vincent has a speedy recovery

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
and no point talking about an alternate. It's not possible since Vincent already competed. Only skaters who have not competed in the team event could be substituted for medical reasons. ETA (and of course, that has to be done before the draw deadline... I was answering a specific question about substitution, see the whole rule book a few posts below if you need more details)

Last edited:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Ooof...guess the USFS should have flown out the 1st alternatives in case this happened...there won't even be enough time for Ilia to replace him if it's not a false positive
Even if there was time, Ilia can't replace as Vincent already competed, even if it's in the team event.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The thing about the Aussie curler is that she actually had COVID a few weeks prior to the games. So the chances were good that it was just residue (not sure if that's the right word) from that.

I don't think Vincent has had COVID so we can only hope it's a false positive somehow.

I'm so bummed I wanted to see the Vincent SP!

But I think the rest of Team USA should be OK, if they took the right precautions. They would have been tested today too and were obviously negative.

readernick

Medalist
The thing about the Aussie curler is that she actually had COVID a few weeks prior to the games. So the chances were good that it was just residue (not sure if that's the right word) from that.

I don't think Vincent has had COVID so we can only hope it's a false positive somehow.

I'm so bummed I wanted to see the Vincent SP!

But I think Team USA could be OK, if they took the right precautions. They would have been tested today too and were obviously negative.
I think Vincent probably has had COVID-19 because his coach caught it twice or something. It was running through the skaters in Colorado. So, it could be a false positive ( as in residue from a previous case) but I'm worried there's just no time for him to get negative test.

Last edited:

Remilia

On the Ice
Even if there was time, Ilia can't replace as Vincent already competed, even if it's in the team event.
ohh, I didn't realize that counted. Unfortunate. Hopefully it is just a false positive

ice coverage

Record Breaker
and no point talking about an alternate. It's not possible since Vincent already competed. Only skaters who have not competed in the team event could be substituted for medical reasons.

It is too late for any Men's entry to be replaced in the individual Men's competition (regardless of the team event) -- because the draw for the individual Men's SP already has taken place.

(hat tip to @Vemvane: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/t...m-olympics-due-to-covid-19.90630/post-2912133 )

Hoping that Vincent will have a negative test in time. :pray:

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Honestly, I don't like the "can't replace xxx because they already completed" rule. I don't really get it either cause the team competition is totally seperate from the individual. I didn't like it in 2014 when Russia ended up with no men in the individual cause Plushy withdrew and I don't like it now even though the U.S. still have two other men competing