2022 Olympics Team Event Day1: Men's Short Program | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics Team Event Day1: Men's Short Program

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not sure? She's on Aussie TV with Olly (the gymnastics man), that might be the default commentary team? Because when the Olympics You Tube channel post replays Belinda and partner (who last time was some random American football man) are the ones who show up.

In other news Daniel's jump was actually 1.627 feet off the ice. But! That's still almost 50cm so I was half right whoo!
Yes I remember Belinda from before and found her very informative and enjoyable.

QuadThrow

Medalist
Let's Face it.

East Europe is behind the russian skaters. Just Look at the czech judge and Markus score.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shoma and Nathan were of course the class of the field. I like Shoma's program better (spins, those spins, that's what makes my ❤️ flutter) but no doubt, Nathan is one cool competitor. Well done, boys!:clap:

I liked Daniel better than Mark and Morisi, what can I say? Mark is overscored, what can I say again, I love his commitment, but that one move could barely be called a spin.

And why wasn't Jason in the KnC he worked so to decorate?;)

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yes, it does say that some sports will still have commercials, and the NBC website says that Peacock will have ads in its FAQ. So its annoying, but not underhanded.
Thank you. I'm puzzled by the complaints and threats to report to FCC, etc. when they had in writing there would be commercials.

Axel Rose

On the Ice
Ummm I am the only one who finds the Olympic commentators to be amateurs? They provide no insight and legit do not understand, nor know how to, explain figure skating to viewers.

I am also finding the scoreboards and colours to be quite distracting to the eye and I can never see where they are displayed on the screen.

These organisers have had years to prepare for the Olympics and this is the best they can do??
Same! I find them really bad. The comments are so basic but I find her particularly annoying. She doesn’t explain well and she has odd opinions about certain skaters’ performance values.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I quite enjoyed Mark K's skate. I like how he always makes something decisive with the music, and I actually enjoy how he gives a flourish to distract from the fact that a jump landing was shaky. Yuzu does the same thing and I've always felt it was quite a talent.

sworddance21

On the Ice
Shoma and Nathan were of course the class of the field. I like Shoma's program better (spins, those spins, that's what makes my ❤️ flutter) but no doubt, Nathan is one cool competitor. Well done, boys!:clap:

I liked Daniel better than Mark and Morisi, what can I say? Mark is overscored, what can I say again, I love his commitment, but that one move could barely be called a spin.

And why wasn't Jason in the KnC he worked so to decorate?;)
I was wondering about Jason, too. Is the Kiss and Cry different from the Team Box? I didn't see all the decorations where Nathan was sitting.

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
At this point, I would pay the extra $5, but someone here said that the $10 version also had commercials. :(.
At this point, I would pay the extra $5, but someone here said that the $10 version also had commercials. :(
When Peacock first started, I paid for it and then somewhere along the line I figured out that I didn’t need to pay for it because I could sign on with my cable provider Cox on my iPad.

buttoneer

Spectator
What do you mean they were talking over each other? There was more than one person? I just switched the NBC stream on hoping it has no commercials for the dance
I had this problem too, when I was streaming on my iMac--it was the audio description for the visually impaired. I tried to get Peacock tech support to help me, but the best he could come up with was "try watching on a different device." And the voice went away when I switched to my TV.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When Peacock first started, I paid for it and then somewhere along the line I figured out that I didn’t need to pay for it because Imcould sign on with my cable provider Cox on my iPad.

We cut the cord about five years ago (Grammy and Gramps join the modern age.:biggrin:) I watch on my laptop and I actually prefer it that way.

Easy enough to mute the commercials, and I should have figured they were not going to treat the Olys like the JGP ;)

icybear

Medalist
Guess Chinese skaters never get home inflation when any other skater would have seen their pcs scored more generously but Boyang got lower pcs than he did in his first senior year. And everyone makes it look like China the big evil and will corrupt the competition but they are the one being singled out unfairly

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I’m Watching CBS and they are not live. I found that out when I went on this forum and just finished watching Roman yet I read about Shoma’s score.

Russia secured the gold medal after this first event. Japan and USA also guaranteed their medals.

Romsky 😭😭😭😭 he looked so scared during the warm up. So, I knew he was going to crumble. He took the wind out of Canada. They might not even make it to the free skate portion, as China and Georgia will be tough to knock out, with Italy as the dark horse.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
There were no real surprises. I don't have too much problem with the scoring -- that seemed to go down as usual with all of its problematic issues, in this case a bit of overly high GOE here and there. Some skaters were nervous and could have performed better, but that's also not unusual.

Roman is so lovely, and I wish he could have performed cleanly, but hopefully he learns something from this experience that might help him in the singles event. He's obviously a quality skater, and he's got to find a way to make the nerves work for him. I hope Roman doesn't get down on himself, as it was going to be difficult for Canada in any case. Still, Messing might have been able to place ahead of or in the ballpark of Boyang.

I agree that Morisi is overscored, especially on GOE, and so is Daniel Grassl! I liked Grassl when I first saw him in juniors. I think he clearly had some artistic appeal. His problem for me is that he is a messy skater technically. It looks like the judges reviewed his jumps and took something off. He was a bit overscored on PCS and GOE. For me, Grassl, like a number of other skaters, needs to learn basic foundations of edge control, IOW, master skating skills. Grassl should have a very low score in SS. He is messy on his takeoffs, as well as often under on some landings that don't always get called.

Too bad for Brezina missing on his quad, but it hasn't been solid for this season, so not a surprise, and the judges gave him due credit for his other high level skills.

Tara got on my nerves, especially in her Nathan commentary. Tara always skirts the line in overdoing her commentary. She needs to relax and cut down on hype level blabbing. She's wrong too when she said Nathan doesn't have that medal. He does have an Olympic team medal, so she should have been more specific. Plus, Nathan overcame his problems at the last Olympics in his fp, with a first place performance that had him in fifth overall. He didn't expect to get on the podium after biting the ice in his sp, and that helped calm his nerves. As Nathan rightly points out, it was a learning experience for him, which he has grown from. He also is now an experienced multiple World, National, GPF and 4CCs champion. Tara could have tempered her comments slightly. Her OTT exclamations are annoying, especially since no one has to get an Olympic medal, gold or otherwise, or even go to the Olympics at all as an athlete, in order to have a good and fulfilling life. It's the process, not the medal itself which can develop an individual's character.

I will also concede and say that Nathan was right to do whatever he felt was good for him to do for this Olympics. I still enjoyed his earlier programs this season, but he's probably more at ease with the old programs he chose to bring back, so that he can concentrate on having fun while mastering his performances. I would guess that these are two of his favorite programs from the last four years.