What if Cohen does not win a top 3 spot at Nat's? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

What if Cohen does not win a top 3 spot at Nat's?

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think the judging will be suspect at nationals because of the emotional desire of the judges to give Kwan #10 over Sasha.

Same here.

Hope all goes well.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Sasha really outskates Kwan, I am sure the judges will give her the title. But up to now, Sasha has never outskated Kwan at Nationals. No one has since Tara in 1997.

millie

Medalist
brad640 said:
I think the judging will be suspect at nationals because of the emotional desire of the judges to give Kwan #10 over Sasha.

If Sasha or anybody else outskates Michelle at Nationals, I don't think that the judges are going to give it to Michelle just because they want her to have the 10th title. Do you think that it would be fair for them to give it to her because they want her to have 10. If Michelle outskates the rest of the girls, find and dandy, give her the title. I don't think that Michelle would want it if she didn't deserve it, it would be meaningless to her if they gave it to her on a gold platter. If they do give it to her, it won't be history making in a since, because people will always say that the rest of the skaters waz-robbed. If Michelle wins nationals, I hope that she will deserve to win. That way , it will mean more to her and her fans. Seriously, nobody wants it to be given to her and nobody can be sure what is going to happen. We can all spectulate, but I would like it to be done fair and square.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
I really am convinced the Olympic Team will be Kwan, Cohen and someone else, assuming all three are healthy enough.

Agreed. But will it be a "Kwan/Cohen/someone else" team named immediately following Nationals or following a brou-ha-ha of some sort? I'm still placing my bets on a Skate Off, prime-time, on ABC, happening about one week before the Olympics Opening Ceremonies. Already into February Sweeps Month. $1,000,000 per 30-second commercial. Remember, you read it here first.

Frau Muller said:
Agreed. But will it be a "Kwan/Cohen/someone else" team named immediately following Nationals or following a brou-ha-ha of some sort? I'm still placing my bets on a Skate Off, prime-time, on ABC, happening about one week before the Olympics Opening Ceremonies. Already into February Sweeps Month. $1,000,000 per 30-second commercial. Remember, you read it here first.
:rock: They have to do something, because who cares about the Olympics any more? I just read in the paper that the recent World Series (baseball) had the all-time lowest TV ratings (11%) of any World Series in the history of TV. The Wall Street Journal reports that commercial endorsement opportunities for all athletes are way, way down (except for Michelle Wie). We've got to come up with some kind of a gimmick, or no one will watch.

MM :eek:hwell:

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I just read in the paper that the recent World Series (baseball) had the all-time lowest TV ratings (11%) of any World Series in the history of TV.

Seriously? Wow...the NBA Finals are going through a similar "process". The 2003 finals were the lowest rated ever, and despite a spike for the Lakers-Pistons final in 04, it went back down to the second-lowest ratings in 05.

Anyone think the NFL is next? :laugh:

(don't think that'll happen)

havanamesa1

Rinkside
brad640 said:

On the other hand, there could really be this desire to fully support "America's best chance for Olympic gold under COP" and give Sasha the US title. Which is probably why the USFSA is holding this Marshall's popularity contest -- to see if Sasha has earned a bigger following than Michelle. If Sasha is voted most popular in the US, US judges will take that as their cue to hold up Sasha's scores during Nats and give her the title this time, even if, as expected, and as history has repeatedly shown, she'll just fall again...

R.D.

Record Breaker
havanamesa1 said:
On the other hand, there could really be this desire to fully support "America's best chance for Olympic gold under COP" and give Sasha the US title. Which is probably why the USFSA is holding this Marshall's popularity contest -- to see if Sasha has earned a bigger following than Michelle. If Sasha is voted most popular in the US, US judges will take that as their cue to hold up Sasha's scores during Nats and give her the title this time, even if, as expected, and as history has repeatedly shown, she'll just fall again...

Are you kidding me? If it comes down to a popularity contest, the winner will be MICHELLE. Do I need to say the winner will be MICHELLE? Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the winner of this will be MI....

In other words, MK is the one that people know. I don't know if the audience will go for the best performance or the most popular skater. Also, I somehow think the voting should have been limited to those actually at the event because I think viewers on TV will see a whole different perspective of the performance (and miss some key elements) and that might "mess things up" so to speak.

I HOPE it's also not a "popularity contest" or "who's our best hope" comp. at Nationals. The best skater should win, period. I don't care who it is- just give it to the best one!

nicole_l

Final Flight
Mathman said:
I just read in the paper that the recent World Series (baseball) had the all-time lowest TV ratings (11%) of any World Series in the history of TV.
Go Sox. :laugh:
Seriously, though. If the Oly's get hyped up enough they'll get good ratings. It's Michelle Kwans's last Olympics! Can Sasha Cohen steal the gold?! What about the youngster Alissa Cziny?! I can hear Terry now.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
I HOPE it's also not a "popularity contest" or "who's our best hope" comp. at Nationals. The best skater should win, period. I don't care who it is- just give it to the best one!
That's exactly what happened in US Nationals for past decada. So what's your point by having implying "Judges will give it to Kwan. She owns the US Nationals" all along?

R.D.

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
That's exactly what happened in US Nationals for past decada. So what's your point by having implying "Judges will give it to Kwan. She owns the US Nationals" all along?

The key word here is HOPE. I HOPE it's not, but it very well may be. But I really believe it's Kwan's to lose- need not say any more...

euterpe

Medalist
The reason why Kwan has won so many Nationals is that she has deserved it. Nationals brings out the best in her. Can anyone honestly say that over the past 3 seasons, someone else should have won?

In 2003, she lit up the arena. In 2004, she faltered in the SP and the judges seemed to want to give the title to Sasha; even though Sasha had a fall and a stumble in the FS, one judge gave her a 6.0 for presentation. Then Kwan skated her heart out, and the judges had to give her a bunch of 6.0s. Last year, "Bolero" was not her best, but she did outskate Sasha once again.

R.D.

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
The reason why Kwan has won so many Nationals is that she has deserved it. Nationals brings out the best in her. Can anyone honestly say that over the past 3 seasons, someone else should have won?

In 2003, she lit up the arena. In 2004, she faltered in the SP and the judges seemed to want to give the title to Sasha; even though Sasha had a fall and a stumble in the FS, one judge gave her a 6.0 for presentation. Then Kwan skated her heart out, and the judges had to give her a bunch of 6.0s. Last year, "Bolero" was not her best, but she did outskate Sasha once again.

Yes, I definitely agree. But the issue is not that Kwan did not deserve to win those three times, but that next season there is concern that she will be favored since she is in the position to make history. Of course, if she can justify that she deserves it....then it's a moot point.

Red Dog said:
...next season there is concern that she will be favored since she is in the position to make history.
I do not agree that there is any such concern. People just make up stuff to worry about for no reason.

gracefulswan

On the Ice
i personally feel that this year michelle will have a harder time of it at nationals b/c i think sasha has the clear momentum so far. hip injury like hers can come and go and it's been bothering her for quite awhile now. add to this the lack of competitions and feedback for the COP... it would be a comeback of the century if she could win nationals and the OGM with all she's been through. no COP experience (hardly), little feedback, limited competitions, an injury with an extended layoff from doing the maximum in practice... wow, comeback of the century would be an understatement. she has everything going against her... at least she won't be in as much of a pressure-filled situation being the 'front-runner' for gold like during the last 2 olympics.

mzheng

Record Breaker
gracefulswan said:
she has everything going against her... at least she won't be in as much of a pressure-filled situation being the 'front-runner' for gold like during the last 2 olympics.
That I agree......And I believe she'll leave nothing to regret about.

gezando

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
Yes, I definitely agree. But the issue is not that Kwan did not deserve to win those three times
Good, so you agree that the judges were doing their job then.

, but that next season there is concern that she will be favored since she is in the position to make history.

"There is a concern" who is concern? You? Oh, but since you agree that Kwan won her titles fair and square, so who are you talking about? Did you hear that at GS? a skater specific forum?

Of course, if she can justify that she deserves it....then it's a moot point.
IMO, it is not for any skater to justify what they deserve, their job is to skate, it is the judges who have to justify their marks. So far Kwan's national titles are won in a fair manner, there is no reason to think the judges will not continue the tradition of doing a fair job. If she wins the 10th fair and square, I speculate some will cheer, and some will be p!ssed off.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
who are you talking about? Did you hear that at GS? a skater specific forum?

Here's a quote from a poster (brad640 I believe) in this thread:

Last edited:

gezando

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
Here's a quote from a poster (brad640 I believe) in this thread:

IMO a "concern" is derived from logical reasoning, "suspect" is not derived from logical reasoning.

Last edited: