Who will go Pro or retire after Turin? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Who will go Pro or retire after Turin?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I don't know if Michelle will retire in '06. If she can continue medaling, she will break Sonia Henie's Worlds medal streak record in '07, so she might want to go for it.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Regarding Irina and her financial situation, I think ChuckM's probably right that Irina has skated in a lot of competitions in no small part because she needs the money.

BTW, does anyone know if Irina is still married? There has been no mention of her husband recently in any of the fluff pieces on her.

sk8m8

Final Flight
that's an important thing to remember, eyria....Maria B didn't win the world champs until she was 26 and continued to skate two more years. Those years would have been more productive if she hadn't been terrorized and had serious medical problems. If Shelly is still healthy by then, no need to doubt her at her word that she loves competing and will do so until she doesn't.

Also, an important thing about MK, Disney and others made her rich a long time ago. That makes me tend to believe that she's telling the truth that she'll retire when she feels she no longer is at a high competitive level or she simply doesn't love it enough to continue making the sacrifices.

As for Irina, I think by Russian standards she is "comfortable", however that's by Russian standards and that doesn't always equate to financial security. Maria B lost a great deal of money in the Russian Banking system. It's one of the reasons that I can understand why she opted to pose for Russian vs of Playboy.

Michelle also pointed out the financial rewards of remaining eligible because you can know earn money in the off season. I think that's one of the reasons Michael Weiss has stuck around....easier to remain close to family during training and go out and make some scratch from GPF, shows, and Cheesefest. If you have a family, that may sound more appealing that traveling the country or the globe in a skating show.