Women's SP: Olympics - Thoughts? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Women's SP: Olympics - Thoughts?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I have to wonder what Kamila's teammates are thinking right now. I mean, if she had been sent home ( Which I believe should have happened ) It's very possible that one of them would be the Olympic Champion. If Kamila stays, IMO she is clear winner. She is the best skater here and I'd give anything if there wasn't a giant cloud hanging over the entire event.
You may be right about K being the eventual winner, but she still has to skate up to her ability (or somewhere near it). Think of Zagitova at 2018 Worlds: she was expected to win but did so badly that the judges couldn't keep her on the podium, despite their best efforts.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Women's are not my favourite discipline, and they never will be (sorry lovers of the women's, to me it's the most boring one), but I did watch the SP just now. So I'll give my thoughts. I tried not to be distracted by what's going on (and I have deliberately not given any comments on that or joined in the threads about it).

First of all, I've become a little Nationalistic because I was so happy Lindsay van Zundert got through to the free. She deliberately decided to skate clean and leave the triple-triple out. She can do it - but usually with a UR on the second jump - and sometimes a fall on her single triple. Not today. It was all green dots, and she will skate on thursday. After 46 years waiting for a Dutch Skater to enter the OG, that's quite something.

I was unhappy for Josefin Taljegard. I think many of us wanted her to go through. Not that she had big mistakes or anything. It just wasn't enough, and I'm going to miss seeing her. I just love her innovative ways.

Eliska. Yay, yay, yay! So happy for her. What a skate, and that at her first Olympics after so many years of not performing enough. Her brother may not have made it this time, but Eliska did great!

So glad both Olga and Alexia did well. And Alexia's costume was wonderful (yes, I know I can be shallow).

Ekaterina Kurakova got there but what a pity she didn't skate any better. She can though. Many of us have watched Europeans where she did so well.

So happy for Nicole Schott. She skated so well! Best I've ever seen of her. And to do that at an Olympics must be so satisfying,

I have a soft spot for Madeline Schizas, and had hoped for her to skate as she did at the TE. She didn't, but she still can make her country proud.

I'm also pleased Eva-Lotta made it. Not her best skate, but enough.

I love the American women - whatever people say about their lack of technical prowess - and Alyssa made me smile. She seemed to enjoy it, and joy in skating is important to me. I was and am happy for Mariah (fall and all) while I felt a bit sorry for Karen. It happens.

I adore Kaori and Wakaba. The first because of her fantastic skating, the speed, the choreography, and the interesting programme, the second because of the guts. Perhaps not the best in PCS, but she nailed the 3A. Yay!

Loena always has a beautiful programme, but she wasn't at her best tonight. Still worthwhile to watch (I love the whole choreography, what do I care about a hand on the ice), and her connection with her brother/coach is moving.

The lovely S-Korean young women were a bit undermarked (in my view) because both of them skated well, and I would have marked them higher (but nobody got really high marks from this panel).

And isn't it great that Anastasiia Gubanova is in 10th, despite her skating very early on. Kudos!

The Russian women were of course on top (it's one of the things I didn't like about the judging - too preferential to these young women) but I must admit Anna skated beautifully. And Alexandra is always gutsy, which also deserves extra points. I have no opinion what-so-ever on Kamila - sorry, good or not, I'm glad I didn't have to judge her performance.

Well, that was my view.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
I have to wonder what Kamila's teammates are thinking right now. I mean, if she had been sent home ( Which I believe should have happened ) It's very possible that one of them would be the Olympic Champion. If Kamila stays, IMO she is clear winner. She is the best skater here and I'd give anything if there wasn't a giant cloud hanging over the entire event.

Yeah, I've thought a lot about those 2 since the whole situation broke, their coaches have likely been pulled away from them for various meetings/hearings. Additionally, if Valieva falters and 1 of them wins or if she wins and is stripped of the medal and its awarded to them - I feel like based on the Russian coverage, they won't get the positive press of being the winner.

I have my doubts. Shcherbakova is a little less than 2 points from first, granted she also has new boots which has limited her quads the last few days, but if she can pull out those 3 quads her FS BV would be higher than Valieva's. And even she can only do 1-2, if Valieva is not clean, it would not surprise me if the judges tip the scores to make OGM less controversial here. Additionally, who knows - maybe Trusova will finally do her 5 quads mostly clean in competition which is most likely capable of winning.

Amei

Record Breaker
So some lightheartedness for the SP from the press conference, Shcherbakova got the memo about her flair

GGFan

Record Breaker
I didn't watch because . . .

I just wanted to give a shoutout to the unexpected winner of the Olympics: Massimo Scali. I've never seen a fired coach get so much love. First, Nathan went out of his way to shout him out (thank you for making Nathan remember to enjoy himself) and now Alyssa does the same. I'm so happy to see good karma come his way. :love2:

viennaskater

Medalist
Doesn't anyone think that, if we KNOW who is going to win, it takes away a lot of the excitement? When it comes to the ladies event, I need an incentive. Not so much for the other skating disciplines, which I find more interesting.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I didn't watch because . . .

I just wanted to give a shoutout to the unexpected winner of the Olympics: Massimo Scali. I've never seen a fired coach get so much love. First, Nathan went out of his way to shout him out (thank you for making Nathan remember to enjoy himself) and now Alyssa does the same. I'm so happy to see good karma come his way. :love2:
I don't know what happened with Scali, who is he and what happened?

GGFan

Record Breaker
I don't know what happened with Scali, who is he and what happened?
He and Jeremy Abbott were Alyssa Liu's coaches who were fired midseason by Arthur Liu. Massimo was a former ice dancer and used to work with Marina Zueva. Neither Scali nor Alyssa wanted to stop working together.

Nathan, knowing that Massimo had been fired, asked him to work on details of his programs in the last few weeks before the Olympics. He's the reason Nathan was enjoying himself so much during Rocketman and he made sure that Nathan jumped his 4F/3T and 4Lz on the music.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
He and Jeremy Abbott were Alyssa Liu's coaches who were fired midseason by Arthur Liu. Massimo was a former ice dancer and used to work with Marina Zueva. Neither Scali nor Alyssa wanted to stop working together.

Nathan, knowing that Massimo had been fired, asked him to work on details of his programs in the last few weeks before the Olympics. He's the reason Nathan was enjoying himself so much during Rocketman and he made sure that Nathan jumped his 4F/3T and 4Lz on the music.
Wow. OMG. So that's the Liu drama everyone talks about. Thank you for you info. I hope she does well in the future.

danceme

Rinkside
Country
Commonwealth
SAKAMOTO Kaori ..as the best skating skill by far to any naked eye, how can the judges even compare to SHCHERBAKOVA Anna
looks like Judges do not understand skating and ever never skated themselves or spend enough time analysing what it's the movement of glide and edges ...( I am not going to say it looks like organized crime,, but the Mafia could learn a few lessons here )
I only have one word this is BULLSHIT

Tutto

Record Breaker
I feel sad for the Japanese girls. I love their speed across the ice, the power, the length of their jumps, the SS, the edges, all the things which require years to work on and should be properly rewarded by the judges. Alas...
Instead transitions for the sake of transitions get rewarded big time as if these are the only criteria for PCS. Russian girls simply have no SS comparable to Wakaba's & Kaori but you would never guess it looking at the scoring sheets.
Very angry Wakaba is in 5th. Her 3A was great. I didn't see UR as for edge call I'd not pretend to be an expert but others got away with worse. It was clear where the judges priorities were which is baffling considering the recent events, the power of RusFed indeed!
Kamila did okay, was it good enough for 82+ - not in my book, but as a 'martyr' she needed a bit of a boost? I must be mad but I do not see anything so special about her skating but I guess it is my problem. The only thing I'd say, Kamila, dear girl, could you possibly not to do that leg kick every 10 seconds without any connection to the music? I'd beg you if I could on my knees.
Anna was very precise & sharp, her jumps & SS I dislike but credit where credit is due she did a good job. However if to look at her & Kaori as the top 5 skaters without 3A, then Kaori wins in my eyes.
Then there are Sasha & Wakaba with 3A, or more precise one attempt from Sasha and the beautifully executed one from Wakaba. Is it fair that the judges score on the basis that a skater X has several quads in their arsenal? Please judge those when present i.e in a LP. What connection it has with the SP? Not too mention incomparable SS of these two. Things like that really drive you mad to the point of abandoning FS (after 40+ years)
My prediction for tomorrow: Anna wins, Kamila second, Sasha who will land a couple of her quads and pop/fall on others will be in third. Naturally I would like to see at least one of Japanese girls on the podium (oh pardon me I forgot there won't be any podium!) but it is not going to happen is it?

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
The scandal that the media won't be talking about is the fact that nearly every single woman here who wasn't competing on behalf of ROC had their edges and rotations scrutinized to a comically unreasonable level by this technical panel. It is insanity pure and simple that Wakaba, with a fully ratified 3A and a clean program was placed behind a skater who fell on an underrotated 3A attempt. I genuinely don't know if I can stomach watching the free skate after this. I mean, we already know the rest of the field's going to be left in the dust when the quads come out, is it really necessary to create such a massive points disparity before the higher tech even materializes? Is it not bad enough to raise PCS and other element GOE for skaters when they land quads, we're now giving the quad bonus when the quads aren't even in the program? I don't know how Kaori managed to get a fair shake, did they just run out of room to leave at the top since she was last? It's hard not to be sarcastic and bitter because this was an absolute slaughter. The judges made it abundantly clear they consider everyone but the ROC skaters and Kaori to be of a lower class of skating, and it's simply not true.
100000%. i cannot justify it any way i think of it. there's no way to explain it. there is ZERO credibility, zero integrity, zero fairness. all bias. seriously, is Russia paying the ISU? that's not a sarcastic question at all, i don't know what other way this is explainable.

what has happened at this olympics in the world of figure skating is making a complete mockery of the sport. this is MY OWN sport that i began when i was 7 years old, the last almost 25 years of my life, and i have never been more disgusted or ashamed of what has come of it. it's clownery. there is no integrity, no honesty. the doping scandal is one thing, the blatant bias and unfairness in judging that has peaked in this event adds a whole other layer to it.

i don't know what needs to happen going forward, but i don't expect change. the entire judging system, judges included, needs an overhaul. the whole ISU needs an overhaul and to clean house. but none of that will happen. it's clear Russia has the ISU by the n*ts and as long as that continues, nothing will change.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I feel sad for the Japanese girls. I love their speed across the ice, the power, the length of their jumps, the SS, the edges, all the things which require years to work on and should be properly rewarded by the judges. Alas...
Instead transitions for the sake of transitions get rewarded big time as if these are the only criteria for PCS. Russian girls simply have no SS comparable to Wakaba's & Kaori but you would never guess it looking at the scoring sheets.
Very angry Wakaba is in 5th. Her 3A was great. I didn't see UR as for edge call I'd not pretend to be an expert but others got away with worse. It was clear where the judges priorities were which is baffling considering the recent events, the power of RusFed indeed!
Kamila did okay, was it good enough for 82+ - not in my book, but as a 'martyr' she needed a bit of a boost? I must be mad but I do not see anything so special about her skating but I guess it is my problem. The only thing I'd say, Kamila, dear girl, could you possibly not to do that leg kick every 10 seconds without any connection to the music? I'd beg you if I could on my knees.
Anna was very precise & sharp, her jumps & SS I dislike but credit where credit is due she did a good job. However if to look at her & Kaori as the top 5 skaters without 3A, then Kaori wins in my eyes.
Then there are Sasha & Wakaba with 3A, or more precise one attempt from Sasha and the beautifully executed one from Wakaba. Is it fair that the judges score on the basis that a skater X has several quads in their arsenal? Please judge those when present i.e in a LP. What connection it has with the SP? Not too mention incomparable SS of these two. Things like that really drive you mad to the point of abandoning FS (after 40+ years)
My prediction for tomorrow: Anna wins, Kamila second, Sasha who will land a couple of her quads and pop/fall on others will be in third. Naturally I would like to see at least one of Japanese girls on the podium (oh pardon me I forgot there won't be any podium!) but it is not going to happen is it?
I hate to say this... but if "transitions for the sake of transitions" are what is rewarded, maybe the way to go is to add more of them rather than wait for the judges to see the light?

Tutto

Record Breaker
I hate to say this... but if "transitions for the sake of transitions" are what is rewarded, maybe the way to go is to add more of them rather than wait for the judges to see the light?
I'd hate to see this happening, because I enjoy programs with a bit of space in them allowing to showcase good SS. It is not like Kaori & Wakaba's programs are totally devoid of transitions, are they?
Also I wish Eteri would use other choreographers too- the programs look so alike it is becoming increasingly boring to watch.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
True, they could’ve rewarded Kaori more. I was more referring to the fact that she got the benefit of the doubt re: edge and UR calls from the panel.
While I disliked the relatively low score for Huguchi and consider placing her below Trusova unfair/egregious I did see in real time that the UR call on the combo for Wakaba would come for 99%. As far as Sakamoto all her jumps looked round to me and the tech panel agreed. As for her lutz edge I can't tell you that rn.

As for skaters who are lower after the SP I was delighted to see Brezinova doing do well! I am disappointed for Kurakova representing Poland but at least she made into a FS and has a good chance to improve her placement now considering small differences in points between skaters in first two flights.

Either way the judging here was not really among the most unfair and biased that I've seen (I still have memories of blatant flutz of Medvedeva from a deep inside edge not getting called and receiving 7+ points each time, ugh). My opinion is that they were bribed to ignore that.

Last edited: