Women's SP: Olympics - Thoughts? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Women's SP: Olympics - Thoughts?

lizardlass

On the Ice
The scandal that the media won't be talking about is the fact that nearly every single woman here who wasn't competing on behalf of ROC had their edges and rotations scrutinized to a comically unreasonable level by this technical panel. It is insanity pure and simple that Wakaba, with a fully ratified 3A and a clean program was placed behind a skater who fell on an underrotated 3A attempt. I genuinely don't know if I can stomach watching the free skate after this. I mean, we already know the rest of the field's going to be left in the dust when the quads come out, is it really necessary to create such a massive points disparity before the higher tech even materializes? Is it not bad enough to raise PCS and other element GOE for skaters when they land quads, we're now giving the quad bonus when the quads aren't even in the program? I don't know how Kaori managed to get a fair shake, did they just run out of room to leave at the top since she was last? It's hard not to be sarcastic and bitter because this was an absolute slaughter. The judges made it abundantly clear they consider everyone but the ROC skaters and Kaori to be of a lower class of skating, and it's simply not true.
I wish I could like this 100 times. Thank you for perfectly articulating everything I too am feeling!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
And, the woman whose Free we won't see because of the unprecedented coddling of Valieva is ... Josefin TALJEGARD.

Boo, hiss. I love her Joker program.

-------------------------
NOTE: As other posters pointed out, this is incorrect. Josefin was actually 26th; they let an extra woman into the FS to make up for not eliminating Valieva.

I'm still sorry we won't see Josefin, but can't blame CAS for it.

Last edited:

KaoriFan

Rinkside
I didn't watch because of the doping scandal, but I looked at the protocols and I will just say this:

Why I'm so down on fs is not just because it's corrupt, but because it's corrupt in such a petty way. There's no reason Kaori should be behind Anna in the SP when Anna didn't do a 3A or quad. Like, it's indefensible, you can't even put her ahead on higher technical content. And Anna clean is going to easily pass Kaori in the free skate, right? So why is this kind of scoring needed?

Because ROC and their bloc of judges know Kamila will be disqualified, and they still want to 'win' the SP.

I bet you a million dollars if Kamila were not subject to disqualification, Kaori would be in 2nd ahead of Anna for now. But because they want to 'win' the short program and everything else too, the judges just make up whatever numbers they want.

cake

On the Ice
The scandal that the media won't be talking about is the fact that nearly every single woman here who wasn't competing on behalf of ROC had their edges and rotations scrutinized to a comically unreasonable level by this technical panel. It is insanity pure and simple that Wakaba, with a fully ratified 3A and a clean program was placed behind a skater who fell on an underrotated 3A attempt. I genuinely don't know if I can stomach watching the free skate after this.
This a thousand times! Frankly I think the judges are mad not reward skates like these properly, especially Kaori. Don´t they want people to talk about good skates instead of the Kamila situation?

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
And, the woman whose Free we won't see because of the unprecedented coddling of Valieva is ... Josefin TALJEGARD.

Even if Valieva was DQ, Josefin still couldn't have qualified for the free. She's 26th and not 25th as she had to. The 25th gets in because Valieva is there actually.

icetug

Medalist
Today I heard an interesting story. In 2018, at the Junior World Championships, when Trusova landed her first quad, the technical panel wondered whether to ratify this jump, because the pre-rotation was visible to the naked eye. They discussed it for a long time, finally decided that it's not a cheated take-off. So now my thought is: how could the figure skating look now if the basic error in her jump had been pointed out at that time ...

klena

On the Ice
They were the best of the ROC. But Sasha fell on the 3a (as usual) and Valieva stepped out of hers.

IMO, Kaori skated better than all of them, and Wakaba landed the only clean 3a.
Kaori's flutz was not called and Wakaba had got UR issue with combo and flip edge.

ramed

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Even under all that pressure, Kamila soldiered on and produced a solid performance. Anya was at her best despite the new boots she had to use after the old ones suddenly broke a few days ago. Kaori got a well-deserved third - and that was fair imo. Poor Sasha is still battling 3A and I still hope one days Sasha will win. The amount of hate surrounding figure skating in these days is unprecedented. People are so easy to manipulate. That's my totally unpretensious takeaway.

Mafke

Medalist
had their edges and rotations scrutinized to a comically unreasonable level

I will be very provocative now (and draw a lot of hate).

Part of the problems that ladies skating is now experiencing came from different ways of trying to pretend that young women can actually do lots of triple jumps that aren't pre- or under- rotated. Harsh truth.... hardly any can.

The IJS (and especially early practice which was to hammer underrotation mercilessly) had a terrible effect on ladies skating and then one thing led to another and it was noticed that extremely young skaters can do lots of jumps (esp if people ignore pre-rotation) and aren't bothered by their careers flaming out by the time they're 17 or so.... (which the public and ISU are generally okay with).

I was never even close to bothered by most under-rotated jumps (if control and flow were maintained) but for whatever reason (I have my suspicion) ladies skating in general has never really recovered from the war on underrotation. New standards for ladies skating based on what's achievable by young women around 20 (give or take a year or two) are clearly needed....

Amei

Record Breaker

Wrong, the FS was expanded to 25 due to the Valieva problem, had she been disqualification or not have the problem the field would be 24. So TALJEGARD still wouldn't be in the FS

stella luna

Final Flight
Trusova was way overscored in PCS. There was nothing in her performance but jumps, as always, and even with a fall she had the 4th highest PCS score.

I really hated the smug faces of Team Tutberizde after Valieva skated.
It's pretty sickening, the fix is in and cheating has been sanctioned. The team winners can't get their medals, the ladies won't be able to, and it's all because the Russians cheated again. I am starting to hate the Olympics, it brings out so much ugliness and there's always some sort of a scandal. Maybe I should boycott watching Olympic figure skating.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Actually, that's not true. Trusova got an edge call her triple flip as well.
As an underrotated call for her 3A, but that's not enough for someone :shrug:
Generally it was a fine competition, with a harsher calls which i didn't expect to happen at the Oly, especially when the other two disciplines before were more lenient in the judging.. But we got what we got, and i applaud all the girls competing (for not to be able to get scores they've expected, except Eliska Brezinova and Kaori Sakamoto who have a new PB from this) :clap:

Last edited:
Today I heard an interesting story. In 2018, at the Junior World Championships, when Trusova landed her first quad, the technical panel wondered whether to ratify this jump, because the pre-rotation was visible to the naked eye. They discussed it for a long time, finally decided that it's not a cheated take-off.
And the rest is history.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I have to wonder what Kamila's teammates are thinking right now. I mean, if she had been sent home ( Which I believe should have happened ) It's very possible that one of them would be the Olympic Champion. If Kamila stays, IMO she is the clear winner. She is the best skater here and I'd give anything if there wasn't a giant cloud hanging over the entire event.

Last edited: