Women's SP: Olympics - Thoughts? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Women's SP: Olympics - Thoughts?

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I'd hate to see this happening, because I enjoy programs with a bit of space in them allowing to showcase good SS. It is not like Kaori & Wakaba's programs are totally devoid of transitions, are they?
Also I wish Eteri would use other choreographers too- the programs look so alike it is becoming increasingly boring to watch.
I wholeheartedly agree about the programs. It's like they are barely trying any more. But as for difficult transitions, doing them well also showcases good SS and the judges appreciate that. Basically, the judges currently seem to like programs with a lot of stuff in them where the ladies are concerned, men they have a somewhat different approach to. But they'd rather see this stuff well-executed than not. Are they going to change their minds about what is valuable? Who knows.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
This panel was insane. Rotation and edges were scrutinized like no other event I can think of in recent time.

I feel like q was the reasonable call for Wakaba’s combo, not <. And You’s deserved < (she was either at 180 or slightly past). It’s pretty clear to me they were hard on both of them because they’re the only two with an ultra C that could potentially edge out a Russian skater in the free if they make mistakes.

Wakaba’s FS is literally fantastic and has gold medal written all over it if she goes clean, but they gutted the short so much that now idk.

If you can give Kamila a 90 (yes even with a 3A), then I can think of several other skaters between the Koreans and European skaters that deserve scores in the 70s but they never get them. I’m so sad for all the skaters who worked so hard only to come away from their Olympic experience with these bogus scores.

Mafke

Medalist
if we KNOW who is going to win, it takes away a lot of the excitement?

Yeah, but then the question is who else will medal or who will give an unexpectedly great performance.... in 2006 there was approximately zero chance Plushenko wouldn't win if he didn't fall six times... so the interest was in the rest of the podium....

Penny

On the Ice
Any system gets what it selects for.... prioritize jumps and you're selecting for younger skinnier skaters (and incentivizing ..... non-regulation performance enhancement).
Maybe they should try selecting for something else?
As I have posted in the past, why, oh why, can't they award 3 golds in figure skating: one for artistry, one for technique (jumps), and overall champ (as in gymnastics) to the skater with the highest combined score. The same skater might win all 3, but at least the skaters who can't do quads would have a chance.

Vash01

Medalist
Shcherbakova had to change boots a few days ago given that on top of the fact her SP combo has given her fits pretty consistently this year I think it was a great move for her to go with a slightly safer combo.
I agree. The slight advantage of the 3R was not worth the risk. Anna made a wise decision to use the 3t for her second jump Of the combination.

Overall I thought it waS a pretty good SP competition. I commend Kamila on executing a solid performance after her mistake on the 3A. It was nice to see Anna skate her best SP of the season. I wanted Sasha to use a 2A instead of going for the 3A, but then she would not be Sasha. :)

I Was disappointed that Mariah had Karen both had falls. They are capable of skating better. Loved Mariah's dress and her smile after the skate. She looked happy to be at the Olympics and that was nice.

Disappointed in Loena's performance. Liked Higuchi's performance but she had some ur jumps.

goodestkitty

Spectator
I was surprised Kamila was ranked first for the short program. I am a casual fan who doesn't know much about skating, but her legs certainly drew my attention. She lifted a leg more than 90 degrees so many times without any connection to the music that it reminded me of a peeing dog's leg lift. I mistakenly thought she screwed up on an intended position when I first saw her "lazy horse kick" (i.e., kicking a leg up less than 90 degrees and then quickly dropping it down). There was a move I don't know its name in English--a move with legs spread apart (sort of like "spread eagle") and knees bent, a move that Jeffrey Buttle artistically and successfully incorporated in his Naqoyqatsi free skate. Kamila's unfortunately failed to go with the music and therefore screamed to me like "Look! I can spread my legs wide open." It seems to my layman's eyes that Kamila relied on frequent wide or long strides to maintain speed and therefore it appears somewhat labored. Her upper body (including hands) was indeed very graceful like a swan (with wide-open legs paddling furiously beneath). I miss Yuka Sato's edges and Carolina Kostner's glides (which looked like "flying" effortlessly from one end of the rink to the other). Their programs didn't give me the impression of perpetual open legs, but Kamila's somehow did. I wish Kamila could have demonstrated more variations of positions or skills besides wide-open legs.

Last edited: