mylastduchess said:
Men:
1.)Shandu - yes you read that right - anyways its a guess anything can happen
!

You mean Sandhu.

Zazanuka

Rinkside
temperboy27 said:
ROTFL!!! You are funny. Of course being from the U.S and Russia inflates your scores greatly. If Lysacek was from Switzerland do you think anybody would have ever heard of him? Of course not. He certainly would not have gotten out of the qualifying round with his short program performance at the Olympics if he were from Switzerland, let alone been in the second last flight. His best performance might get the same score he got for his two-major error performance if he was Swiss.

Anybody with half an eyeball can see Lambiel's spins are light years better than the spins of Plushenko and Lysacek yet they score lower because of the corrupt cheating of the judges, and the power and influence of bigger countries with tons of money like Russia and U.S. I in fact was sitting with some friends of mine watching the skating and I told them that Lysacek and Buttle got lower scores on their spins in Turin than Plushenko and Lysacek and they just laughed, they could not believe it, they thought I was joking. Then I showed them the scores and they saw I was right. They could not believe what a disgusting cheating sport figure skating must be, and I agreed with them. If you are from Russia or the U.S you can score highest for slow, traveling spins, with ugly positions.

Emotions, emotions, emotions....
Personally i am not impressed with his skating last year and this year, no improvement in his skating , only more and more technical lacks and conversations about his amazing and underestimated spins (which have a low level and inaccurate, but why judges should care about it?)

Zazanuka

Rinkside
Not my wish, my presentiments.

1 Sasha COHEN
2 Fumie SUGURI
3 Carolina KOSTNER

1 Brian JOUBERT:)
2 Stephane LAMBIEL
3 Emanuel SANDHU

1 Dan ZHANG / Hao ZHANG
2 Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY
3 Julia OBERTAS / Sergei SLAVNOV:)

1 Tanith BELBIN / Benjamin AGOSTO
2 Marie-France DUBREUIL / Patrice LAUZON
3 Albena DENKOVA / Maxim STAVISKI

greig

Rinkside
Here are my top 10 Predictions (Ladies)

1-Sasha Cohen -She will prob get it.
2-Fumie Suguri - I would love to see her get Gold but i think it will be 2nd
3-Carolina Kostner -She will skate good i think now that olympics are over
4-Joannie Rochette-I think she will have a few slip ups cause she is in canada
5-Kimmie meissner
6-Sarah Meier
7-Elene Gedavanishvilli
8-Mikki Ando
9-Liu Yan
10-Sussana Poykio

Men

1-Stephane Lambiel - He will skate brill
2-Matt Savoy
3-Jeffrey Buttle
4-Emanuaal Sandu
5-Kevin Van der perrin - Excellent Skater but he will have mistakes

temperboy27 said:
If you are from Russia or the U.S. you can score highest for slow, traveling spins, with ugly positions.
Under the New Judging System, everybody can get high scores for slow, traveling spins with ugly positions. The only thing that counts is the level -- how many changes of edges and changes of position are there?.

Michelle Kwan found this out the hard way in the 2004-2005 season. Never a flexible spinner, she hoped that by doing a simpler spin well, she could make up in GOE what she gave away in levels. After finishing third at worlds, she realized that wasn't the way the new system worked. In CoP, "a level three is a level three."

In Lambiel's case, his spins are great but they are not designed to score well under the NJS -- and they don't. :cry:

And I imagine Plushenkos 'can't get down all the way in a sitspin' is a level 4 spin (travelling and all) because he changes that to some sort of edge change with a different not all the way down sitspin.. Yeah, that'l get the level up.

Back to Lambiel and I will add Joubert. Both have quads which are more consistent than anyone else in the competition save Oda. This jump holds a lot of clout with the judges who will automatically ignore a 'can't get all the way down in a sitz spin' which, of course, is not a problem for these boys.

Whether your favorite is Nohburi, Matt, Johnny, Jeff, eman or Evan, it is Stephane and Brian who will be the top contenders in my opinion.

Oh, and don't forget about Ilia Klimkin if he hits.

Joe

Jasper

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
And I imagine Plushenkos 'can't get down all the way in a sitspin' is a level 4 spin (travelling and all) because he changes that to some sort of edge change with a different not all the way down sitspin.. Yeah, that'l get the level up.

Back to Lambiel and I will add Joubert. Both have quads which are more consistent than anyone else in the competition save Oda. This jump holds a lot of clout with the judges who will automatically ignore a 'can't get all the way down in a sitz spin' which, of course, is not a problem for these boys.

Whether your favorite is Nohburi, Matt, Johnny, Jeff, eman or Evan, it is Stephane and Brian who will be the top contenders in my opinion.

Oh, and don't forget about Ilia Klimkin if he hits.

Joe

Oda can't do a quad. He even struggles mightily with the 3A, just planning one in his LP.

And I don't agree about Joubert. First of all, doing a quad doesn't really hold much clout with these judges. It's not that big a deal in the new system, which is why we've seen so many male skaters give up on it. And Brian has lost consistency with the quad since 2 years ago. I'm yet to see him do a clean one all season.

Joubert and Klimkin can't make up points in the PCS, so they really need technically flawless programs to have any chance at the podium.

But I agree about Plushenko. It's shameful that he gets such good scores on his spins when they are undoubtedly VERY poor. Sit spins that are not in a sit position at all, that are not fast, that are not original.

Jasper

Final Flight
Mathman said:
So, does anyone think that Nobunari Oda has a chance to medal?

Absolutely. Besides his 3A, all his jumps are solid and beautifully executed with positive GOE. His PCS are pretty good as well. After 4CC, we know the judges *like* him. So if a couple top skaters make mistakes and Oda skates clean, he could definitely be on the podium. I'm sure he'll finish higher than Takahashi at the Olympics!

Oh what the heck. (I wasn't going to post on this thread bec I've "called" the Worlds about 5 times already but...) Not sure where my thinking stops and wishing starts so I won't try to distinguish:

Ladies
1-Cohen
2-Gedevanishvili (!)
3-Kostner

Men's
1-Sandhu (!!)
2-Weir
3-Lambiel

No idea re: pairs or dancing. BTW, I appreciate the clarification re: scoring of spins. I was totally confused from watching the Olympics.

enlight78

Medalist
Mathman said:
Under the New Judging System, everybody can get high scores for slow, traveling spins with ugly positions. The only thing that counts is the level -- how many changes of edges and changes of position are there?.

Michelle Kwan found this out the hard way in the 2004-2005 season. Never a flexible spinner, she hoped that by doing a simpler spin well, she could make up in GOE what she gave away in levels. After finishing third at worlds, she realized that wasn't the way the new system worked. In CoP, "a level three is a level three."

In Lambiel's case, his spins are great but they are not designed to score well under the NJS -- and they don't. :cry:
What the point in having GOE if they don't make a difference or promote clean moves in every element instead of just jumps. Maybe we should repace all judges with pro-skaters. It'll be like jury duty.

LBC

On the Ice
enlight78 said:
What the point in having GOE if they don't make a difference or promote clean moves in every element instead of just jumps. Maybe we should repace all judges with pro-skaters. It'll be like jury duty.

It does make a difference if they all have the same level. The judges don't deduct for bad spins the way they should. Unless they fall on it you don't get a -3.
There are some spins and spirals that should be getting at least -2's because they are just not well executed. If you just complete it you get a zero. They just do positive goe's when it is done well. They are applying jump goe criteria to spins and spiral when it should be different. You shouldn't get a zero on a horrible looking spin just because you didn't bobble on it or fall out. If they gave more negative goe's you'd have spin levels going down.

I think they should expand the goe range. Go +-5. Give the judges some more range to work with. With 3 being failure or perfection you only have zero,1, and 2 to work with. I think there should be more as if I see a spin and think a 2 if I had a range of 1-5 but with 1-3 probably a zero.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
I'm so torn with the ladies. As much as I would love to see Sasha win gold, Fumie has been in it for so long, been so consistent, and just generally seems to love what she does. *sniff* I want to see a gold for both of them. Rochette, Kostner, Nakano, etc. all have time to keep at it.

M

mars

Ladies
This field is a bit weak, with Cohen clearly ahead of the pack.
1. Cohen - gold
2. Suguri, Rochette - silver
3. Nakano, Kosnter, Gedevanishvili - bronze

Men
Is really unpredictable because these guys are somewhat inconsistent, they all got the goods but can they deliver it??? I think Lambiel and Buttle will medal just dont know the color. And heres the other men that are going to be fighting for the top spots:
Weir, Lysacek, Joubert, Oda.

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Mathman said:

I agree Mathman. The new system is only about what level of spins you do, how many edges and change of position that is it. Quality is meaningless as demonstrated by the scores Plushenko, Lysacek, Slutskaya for her Biellmans(
I love Irina but her Biellman is not that great, lets face it, I liked her spins more when she wasnt doing all Biellmans), getting higher scores than the much better quality spins of others on their spins.

Jasper

Final Flight
And it is Slutskaya's high scores on Biellmans last season that brought on the Biellman whoring/catch-foot craze in ladies skating this year! Skaters see what positions get the best scores and highest levels and they repeat it.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Jasper said:
And it is Slutskaya's high scores on Biellmans last season that brought on the Biellman whoring/catch-foot craze in ladies skating this year! Skaters see what positions get the best scores and highest levels and they repeat it.

Irina did not score as high on her Biellmans at the Olympics so hopefully that will cause the thread to die down. I hate seeing all the girls doing spins the end in Biellmans over and over. Almost nobody can do a a Biellman well, Csizny does and a couple others, and that is it.