2014 Cup of China Ladies Short Program 11/07 | Page 31 | Golden Skate

2014 Cup of China Ladies Short Program 11/07

noskates

Record Breaker
I don't blame Polina. I just realized that it is her very first GP competition ever.

Ummmm.....wouldn't skating in the Olymics kind of trump that? She just had a bad skate. I doubt she's looking for excuses. I do hope she has a good LP though.

gold12345

Medalist
I do agree about her 2A being not as good in terms of height(?), but the way the she enters and exit, the distance and flow make it seem just as good to me as anyone else's the majority of time. I have no complaints with her getting negligible GOE for it.

I don't disagree regarding Julia's 2A. I just want to know when near +1s across the board for a jump became "negligible GOE". I think it would suffice to give Julia neutral GOE on her 2A, and save the +1s for bigger 2As and the +2s or +3s for the more exceptional ones. I would like to see a bit more separation in GOE between a Julia 2A and, say, a Liza one.

As for the costume, it gives a “vintage” feel to the overall kite idea. Not to mention it’s simple, without ruffles and too much sparkles.

Can anyone provide more info about the "kite idea"? I was wondering if there was meaning behind Julia's costume choice (I thought it was a nice look) and I don't remember reading about a kite.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Technically, the Russians hands down are on fire re getting around on and landing their jumps. However, Pogo is simply sloppy and has no give in her knees. In this competition, I found Julia's costume to be rather puzzling. Why is she trying to make herself look even younger than she actually is?! Julia has small jumps but the air position was very good here. As far as Julia being so "amazing" otherwise, I simply do not see it. Great for Liza to be coming back so strong technically, because her jumps and her determination are her strongest suits. Liza is cute and sweet, but she's not great musically, interpretively, artistically, thus she's not a complete package. Obviously, the judges do not care, and figure skating, not unsurprisingly is still largely governed by politics and not mainly by what the skaters actually do on the ice. So, fans can continue quibbling all season I suppose about who's the best Russian lady.... Zzzzzz.

Of all the Russian ladies, of course Pogo has the most outright aggressive drama, with Radionova a close second in that respect. Sotnikova has her OGM, and so I'm not sure why she's even motivated to continue skating competitively. She has nowhere to go but down. Apparently Sot has pulled out of an upcoming GP. Radionova still needs a lot of maturing, but I find her to be the Russian lady with the greatest potential to become a well-rounded and artistically impressive figure skater. At this point in her career, however, I'm not holding my breath. Radionova is over-muscling her jumps and trying to move way too fast for me to be able to appreciate where she is right now.

I enjoy Kanako and she has improved as she has matured, but her costume here looks like she's trying to channel Sotnikova at the Sochi Olympics. It looks like Kanako performed well (in terms of getting around on her jumps, but she has kind of an odd technique).

Yep too bad for the U.S. ladies because they do have the talent to be more competitive than they showed in the sp. I think though that Gao was dumped on in PCS. Gao is a much more refined and elegant skater than V. Helgesson. I realize that V. Helgesson did skate her tech better overall than Gao, but VH did have some mistakes as well. I just don't see the PCS scores between Gao and Helgesson as being comparatively fair, but what else is new re the judging! The PCS is more based on manipulation re politics than it is on how skilled skaters actually are in PCS during their performances.

Skatingcat

Final Flight
Wow. I was very, very disappointed in this competition. Not only was the production terrible- the sound, the way they filmed the programs- but I thought that so many women seemed unprepared.

Polina seemed as gawky as she did last season. I had hoped she would have improved more than she seems to have- but certainly I would have been discouraged after two falls. And so disappointed in Gao- I love her gracefulness, but even to my inexperienced eye she seemed to under rotate her jumps and land badly.

I want to like the Russian women- they can skate beautifully, but I just don't *feel* it. Julia seems to pout the whole time (I am certain she does not intend to look that way).

Murakami was wonderful, but I can see why the russian women scored higher. But she has such a lovely smile.

Hope the free skate isn't such a splat fest.

Art&Sport

Medalist
ITA Skatingcat with your general comments. What's with Polina? Why isn't she prepared by this point for the season? I really don't get it. You get lucky and make the Olympics before you even compete in a senior international event, so I suppose this is the result. Oh well, let's see what happens in the fp, and whether Polina and others who did poorly in the short will be able to get over their nerves or whatever else could be complicating their performances perhaps, such as something in the air, the food, or jet lag.

Polina seemed rattled by the fall on her opening combo (and didn't think quickly enough to add a jump to complete a combo on her next pass), but she otherwise skated fairly well, and certainly I think she should have scored a bit higher on PCS, especially with the over-scores the Russians are getting on PCS. But, bleh, this is the state of figure skating these days.

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
I wonder if its got a personal connection to her very short vacations she takes. She said the concept of the program was someone living in a Megapolis but always keeping an eye on the part of who they were before they got there and most importantly keeping an eye on that former self. The kite she flies represents that but....she is quoted as saying her vacation to the beaches in Cyprus as one of her favorites. Here is her beach wear from that particular trip away from Moscow :think:
https://pp.vk.me/c540105/v540105136/13364/LyVgmL6ff9c.jpg

Yeah, that look seems familiar :) and in my mind it all makes perfect sense

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't disagree regarding Julia's 2A. I just want to know when near +1s across the board for a jump became "negligible GOE". I think it would suffice to give Julia neutral GOE on her 2A, and save the +1s for bigger 2As and the +2s or +3s for the more exceptional ones. I would like to see a bit more separation in GOE between a Julia 2A and, say, a Liza one.

Can anyone provide more info about the "kite idea"? I was wondering if there was meaning behind Julia's costume choice (I thought it was a nice look) and I don't remember reading about a kite.

The kite is supposed to represent the girl she was before her move to Moscow. She looks to it and tries to find her true self from time to time while surviving the Megapolis which threatens to change her.

Re: jump GOE

You only need to satisfy 1 bullet to get +1 GOE.

To establish the starting GOE Judges must take into consideration the bullets for each element. It is at the discretion of each Judge to decide on the number of bullets for any upgrade, but general recommendations are as follows:
FOR + 1 : 2 bullets FOR + 2 : 4 bullets FOR + 3 : 6 or more bullets Singles

Jump
Elements

1) unexpected / creative / difficult entry
2) clear recognizable steps/free skating movements immediately preceding element 3) varied position in the air / delay in rotation
4) good height and distance
5) good extension on landing / creative exit
6) good flow from entry to exit including jump combinations / sequences
7) effortless throughout
8) element matched to the musical structure

YMMV as do the judges for what bullets can be awarded but even the guideline says...awarding bullets via the provided scale is merely a SUGGESTION.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, really, perfect sense for the beach vacation. NOT for the ice, IMHO. :laugh:

But it makes sense if you know her past and her struggle to maintain her identity. How exactly does a POTO or Carmen relate to the ice? James Bond...etc...

Her struggle is with the media so her true self is as far from all that as possible. Her Megapolis wants nothing more than to print stories, many untrue BTW. Her real identity is elsewhere.

I'm very curious as to if anyone else knows the story behind any other skaters stories and movements. I find it very fascinating. I've seen So Youn's R&J broken down in her fan fest but really no one else's.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Yulia's dress is nice and cute. In K&C she told Eteri that she liked how it looked on the screen during the performance.

And since Waldo and Wendi almost don't exist outside the English speaking world, her dress doesn't trigger these associations for me. For me red and white striped dress means sailor's suit for girls :love: The beginning of the program reminds me of all these iconic paintings of the girls with kites on the French beaches in the beginning of the 20th century. Like these one http://www.deviantart.com/art/Victorian-Girl-With-Kite-210402196

I'm just curious. How many people (besides me) wouldn't have had a clue that Yulia's program starts with her flying a kite if they hadn't been told?

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
Yeah, really, perfect sense for the beach vacation. NOT for the ice, IMHO. :laugh:

It makes perfect sense because a) that's a staged performance b) it matches the idea of the program c) it is authentic and it was her OWN choice.
And compare it to Polina (used only as an example, no offence) who skates in a dress that was clearly chosen by her mother or a coach. She just looks uncomfortable in it. There is no way a 16 year old girl can like that dress.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Technically, the Russians hands down are on fire re getting around on and landing their jumps. However, Pogo is simply sloppy and has no give in her knees. In this competition, I found Julia's costume to be rather puzzling. Why is she trying to make herself look even younger than she actually is?!

Because she is young. The next Olympics are four seasons away. She likely wants to be seen as a legitimate contender for the OGM in 2018. She likely does not want look over the hill or too seasoned in 2018. She wants to still look young in 2018. Obviously she will still be young, but if she goes too far in to "mature" now it will be old by 2018 and she will seem more old than she is. The longer she is seen as young, the more likely she will still be seen as a healthy young contender for the OGM in Pyongyang.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm just curious. How many people (besides me) wouldn't have had a clue that Yulia's program starts with her flying a kite if they hadn't been told?

I missed it at first at the test skates but her fan page is plastered with photos like this:
https://pp.vk.me/c623423/v623423260/1a20/Njz9dnLmIsU.jpg

She herself is a moderator there. It's fairly obvious upon second look and you can see throughout the program like after the StSeq where she is holding onto it. I think it's kind of clever myself.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Because she is young. The next Olympics are four seasons away. She likely wants to be seen as a legitimate contender for the OGM in 2018. She likely does not want look over the hill or too seasoned in 2018. She wants to still look young in 2018. Obviously she will still be young, but if she goes too far in to "mature" now it will be old by 2018 and she will seem more old than she is. The longer she is seen as young, the more likely she will still be seen as a healthy young contender for the OGM in Pyongyang.

My my how the worm turns. Michelle Kwan at 16 did everything she could to look more mature on the ice. I guess we're living in Different Times.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I missed it at first at the test skates but her fan page is plastered with photos like this:
https://pp.vk.me/c623423/v623423260/1a20/Njz9dnLmIsU.jpg

She herself is a moderator there. It's fairly obvious upon second look and you can see throughout the program like after the StSeq where she is holding onto it. I think it's kind of clever myself.

Perhaps a little too clever--the whole concept went, if you will pardon the expression, way over my head. :)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
My my how the worm turns. Michelle Kwan at 16 did everything she could to look more mature on the ice. I guess we're living in Different Times.

Yes. I would say 1996, 18 years ago, different times.

Edit: For what it is worth, I have said the same thing about Jason Brown. No reason to look older too soon when you want to be viable for 2018. It was not an insult. If anything I agree with the strategy.