How racial slurs/offensive language are seen elsewhere in the world | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How racial slurs/offensive language are seen elsewhere in the world

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not OT :) whenever I hear foreign athletes (non- U.S.) use a word like the 'n' word, I try to always think and remember that they may have heard and not been made aware of what that word means... A lot of people don't realize that not everything means the same thing in different countries.

I stand by what I said before that the word is unacceptable in the US and if you are an athlete speaking in English, I hope that someone advises you not to use that word.

I feel some small urge to stand up for "my fellow Americans", as RMN would say (if you get that, you're old like me.:biggrin:) I speak three other languages, one fluently, and have lived outside the United States. I do not say this to brag, as it is nothing next to others worldwide who speak far more languages than I do, far more fluently, including many fellow fans on this forum. I say it only to point out that of course I do understand what it is like to learn another language, that of course words have different meanings in different languages (you wouldn't kid me?:sarcasm:), and that someone might not know the meaning or import of a foreign word upon first learning it. But Americans (at least this American) are not "US centric" or "PC" (lord, how I loathe that word, whatever it means) to point out the complete unacceptability of the n word in English discourse.

I always stand in awe of non-Anglophone athletes who speak English fluently. *that* personally influences me to like a skater...:)

LRK

Record Breaker
Well, if the only exposure to "that word" that these kids have is to rap music - how are they to know the word is bad? How are they to guess that rap musicians would use words about themselves that are - frankly - filthy?

(I don't like hip hop anyway - and I can't stand rap precisely because of the language. The "n"-word is not something that I want to have running in my head - because, unlike these kids, I do know it is bad.)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I read elsewhere that Yagudin did not realize the n-word was offensive when he used it (it was an excerpt from TAT's memoir).

I lived several years in Germany and there, too, I was surprised at the casual use of the word. It's just not realistic to expect the entire world to know and follow the US-centric "rules" of political correctness.

Not OT :) whenever I hear foreign athletes (non- U.S.) use a word like the 'n' word, I try to always think and remember that they may have heard and not been made aware of what that word means... A lot of people don't realize that not everything means the same thing in different countries.

When I hear someone whose native language is not English, in an obviously public context, like an interview, or facebook or Twitter, using the n word, or calling someone by an ethnic, religious slur in English, I don't think they are a bigot, but I do think they are a fool to be using words they don't understand in public. Look it up, dude, before you use it!

This is the kind of guy who would get sent to fetch the fallopian tube checker from the female storekeeper by his mates in the Navy, and who would be dumb enough to go to her and ask for one. :rolleye:

On the other hand, fairly or not, when someone uses the term ,"politically correct," especially to defend users of bigoted speech, I think very badly of them.

When this argument is used in the US, what is meant is, "I have a right to insult you any way I choose. In fact, everyone has a right to insult you. You are unreasonable, overly picky, even humorless, to expect otherwise, you f word, n word, or ethnic slur person."

Appeals to PC makes me angrier than the original slur.

chasingpolaris

On the Ice
When I hear someone whose native language is not English, in an obviously public context, like an interview, or facebook or Twitter, using the n word, or calling someone by an ethnic, religious slur in English, I don't think they are a bigot, but I do think they are a fool to be using words they don't understand in public. Look it up, dude, before you use it!

THIS. Yes, maybe we shouldn't condemn skaters for using a racial slur because they don't know the context behind it and probably mean no harm, but it just puzzles me why they would even use a word they normally wouldn't. I guess you could say they want to be friendly and build close rapport, but I think most of the time you don't need to call them certain names to do that. It's like me calling people brother/sister/mate to make it seem like we're on friendly terms when in fact I don't use those words on a normal basis.

Rissa

Record Breaker
but I do think they are a fool to be using words they don't understand in public. Look it up, dude, before you use it!

I hate to come back to this problem, but learning a language does not work this way. It's not like a non-native person feels they don't understand the word. They feel they do, they've got context: movies, songs, etc, and the context is seldom negative. Only an extraordinarily dedicated learner would look up a word they think they know. And if one doesn't keep the company of Americans specifically, people are not as likely to notice, point out, correct. [ /essay]

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
the world is not the US of A

And the learning of world history is not exclusive to the us of a either.

Basic World History 101 would cover this. I have a difficult time believing that the Russians would not learn some world history at school - particularly world history that paints the US in a negative light.

jace93

On the Ice
And the learning of world history is not exclusive to the us of a either.

Basic World History 101 would cover this. I have a difficult time believing that the Russians would not learn some world history at school - particularly world history that paints the US in a negative light.

Not necessarily... for example I'm Italian so in history I studied the civil rights movement and the apartheid in South Africa and other similar situation of segregation during the 20th century just marginally because in those same years in Italy many other things were happening that had a much greater impact on our society... also unless they are attending an english school how should they know that the n* word was used as a slur to insult black people? you know it's not like they wrote it down in the history books, especially not in the non-english ones.

And since it's your mother language I think that you just take for granted many cultural inflection: for example in italian there is the word negro, that has the the same connotation as in english, so it's quite easy for me to understand that n* is a bad word, because I already have this subconscious impromptu to recognize it as something I shouldn't say. Thing is I probably would have the same subconscious feeling even if n* didn't have any negative connotation in english, simply because I would identify it the italian's meaning. Instead if I was born in a spanish speaking country than I would use negro without a second thought because for me it would simply mean black without any cultural stimulus to identify it with racism and slavery...

For you it's easy to understand that nigga and JPN have a very bad connotation because of historical fact that tarnished this words, while aussie is a completely acceptable word (at least I think :slink:) but someone like me that grew up in a different cultural environment lacks completely all the background to understand this various inflections, and I was born in a place with a quite similar cultural background to yours and english and italian have enough common history that many words have the same meaning, but think about someone that speaks a slavic language like russian that has nearly no resemblance with our languages or even someone that speaks a non-indoeuropean language: how could they know all these things?

Also something that many of you seems to forget is that slang isn't learned in schools but through pop culture, celebrities and speaking with common people on the street or on the internet and it's a fact that today the use of the n* word in american pop culture is incredibly widespread: how can someone that lacks many of the background basis to understand the connotation of such word know what is correct and what is not, ESPECIALY if this someon isn't particularly proficient with english?

Being understanding of other people cultural backgrounds is a sign of wisdom and this is valid both for teens that use word they don't understand fully without thinking too much about it and for english native speaker that go on and on ranting about how ignorant are this fool teenagers...

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
Basic World History 101 would cover this.

But it will NOT cover the use of one particular word of foregin language and how people might feel about it.

Especially if it's possible to hear it completely outside of the historical context.

And what jace93 said.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
@jace93: I agree with your comment. :thumbsup:
I didn't use the n. word for the same reason you mentioned, negro. But as I alreadu mentioned, I had no idea that the abbreviation of the word Japanese was considered offensive. Thanks to Mathman I learned that.
It's always a process of learning and it's on individual basis.

Last edited:

peg

Medalist
Not necessarily... for example I'm Italian so in history I studied the civil rights movement and the apartheid in South Africa and other similar situation of segregation during the 20th century just marginally because in those same years in Italy many other things were happening that had a much greater impact on our society... also unless they are attending an english school how should they know that the n* word was used as a slur to insult black people? you know it's not like they wrote it down in the history books, especially not in the non-english ones.

And since it's your mother language I think that you just take for granted many cultural inflection: for example in italian there is the word negro, that has the the same connotation as in english, so it's quite easy for me to understand that n* is a bad word, because I already have this subconscious impromptu to recognize it as something I shouldn't say. Thing is I probably would have the same subconscious feeling even if n* didn't have any negative connotation in english, simply because I would identify it the italian's meaning. Instead if I was born in a spanish speaking country than I would use negro without a second thought because for me it would simply mean black without any cultural stimulus to identify it with racism and slavery...

For you it's easy to understand that nigga and JPN have a very bad connotation because of historical fact that tarnished this words, while aussie is a completely acceptable word (at least I think :slink:) but someone like me that grew up in a different cultural environment lacks completely all the background to understand this various inflections, and I was born in a place with a quite similar cultural background to yours and english and italian have enough common history that many words have the same meaning, but think about someone that speaks a slavic language like russian that has nearly no resemblance with our languages or even someone that speaks a non-indoeuropean language: how could they know all these things?

Also something that many of you seems to forget is that slang isn't learned in schools but through pop culture, celebrities and speaking with common people on the street or on the internet and it's a fact that today the use of the n* word in american pop culture is incredibly widespread: how can someone that lacks many of the background basis to understand the connotation of such word know what is correct and what is not, ESPECIALY if this someon isn't particularly proficient with english?

Being understanding of other people cultural backgrounds is a sign of wisdom and this is valid both for teens that use word they don't understand fully without thinking too much about it and for english native speaker that go on and on ranting about how ignorant are this fool teenagers...

Very well said! :clap:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So veering a little away from the topic of the n-word. One thing I find fascinating is how English is integrated into other languages. Korean -- namely Korean in South Korea -- has a whole ton of words that are simple English words that are pronounced with the Korean sounds.

Also English is often used in Korean pop songs.

But I think what cracks me up is seeing curse words in Korean fashion. It's really more a fashion statement, but I'm never sure if the person wearing it realizes it's a curse word in English. Example here: http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/1...nsd-sunny-curse-word-hat-dancing-queen-mv.htm

Alba

Record Breaker
It's really more a fashion statement, but I'm never sure if the person wearing it realizes it's a curse word in English. Example here: http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/1...nsd-sunny-curse-word-hat-dancing-queen-mv.htm

Maybe they know, most probably they do actually, but the thing is that we hear a lot cursing in movies etc. So it looks normal.
We do curse in italian a lot also, in everyday life. So it's difficult to contain yourself not to curse in places that you are not suppose to, because you do that most of the time and in many cases it's not even offensive.

FTnoona

Final Flight
I am understanding to non-American English speakers when they use an offensive word/term/gesture because I would like to be afforded the same understanding when I say something offensive in their language that I honestly had no idea was not an okay thing to say. That way you can explain to the person why the word is offensive and probably shouldn't be used. However, I admit that my understanding chips away when a person continues to habitually use the word after the explanation was given. Maybe try to explain again?

Oh the Kpop scandals...
I hope the 2 american members of the band in the photo that you linked were nice enough to tell her that it was a curse word.
Side stepping from language for a bit and going to symbolism.
Edit 1: I think the girl group Nazi-esque fashion was a bad example because everyone should know about why that is inappropriate.
Edit 2: In one of the kpop videos, there was anger over the use of the confederate flag as a prop and for the use of the f-word. Some brushed it aside as the artist not knowing the meaning behind the words.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Spectator
Maybe they know, most probably they do actually, but the thing is that we hear a lot cursing in movies etc. So it looks normal.
We do curse in italian a lot also, in everyday life. So it's difficult to contain yourself not to curse in places that you are not suppose to, because you do that most of the time and in many cases it's not even offensive.
Why do you guys like your cursing so much? There's a group of Italian exchange students around here and the three most frequent things you hear from them are "buongiorno", "scusa" and "porco dio!" :laugh:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I still think one should look things up. Even slang is easy to find a definition for these days.

How to find out about a slang word in English. Use the n word as an example.

In Google, type the n word definition and you get this from Google itself:

nig·ger
ˈniɡər/
noun offensive
a contemptuous term for a black or dark-skinned person

And the first link is this
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/******

Usage alert
The term n is now probably the most offensive word in English
. Its degree of offensiveness has increased markedly in recent years, although it has been used in a derogatory manner since at least the Revolutionary War. The senses labeled Extremely Disparaging and Offensive represent meanings that are deeply insulting and are used when the speaker deliberately wishes to cause great offense. It is so profoundly offensive that a euphemism has developed for those occasions when the word itself must be discussed, as in court or in a newspaper editorial: “the n-word.”

Despite this, the sense referring to a “black person” is sometimes used self-referentially among African Americans in a neutral or familiar way. The sense referring to other victims of prejudice, especially when used descriptively, as to denounce that prejudice, is not normally considered disparaging—as in “The Irish are the n's of Europe” from Roddy Doyle's The Commitments —but the other uses are considered contemptuous and hostile.

noun
Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive.
a contemptuous term used to refer to a black person.
a contemptuous term used to refer to a member of any dark-skinned people.
Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive. a contemptuous term used to refer to a person of any racial or ethnic origin regarded as contemptible, inferior, ignorant, etc.
a victim of prejudice similar to that suffered by black people; a person who is economically, politically, or socially disenfranchised.
Origin

Or use urbandictionary
http://www.urbandictionary.com/

Note that since people, some of them racists, will define the word differently, because that is how urban dictionary works. In fact all of the first 40 or so definitions are pretty nasty.

After you read them, you would be well aware that the word is contoversial, and not one you want to use in public...or private.

The first one is

n
A fully grown niglet
Theres one of them n's

Here's the fourteenth one
The type of people I don't pick up in my cab.
Steve: How did the n cross the road?
Cab driver: Not in my cab... that's for sure

The sixteenth

n. old fashion farm equipment.
v. one used to pick cotton, and dig ditches.
whip that n , he is not digging fast enough.

And the 27th by someone who is probably serious, but may think he is funny

N
1. Cause of all mankind's problems.
2. Someone who thinks that white people still owe them something after what their ancestors did CENTURIES ago.
3. A person who is too stupid/poor to use a condom.

1. Our taxes are going up because every [expletive deleted] n is on welfare!
2. If i'm getting blamed for what my ancestors did, then I want to go lynch a n so they have something to [expletive deleted] at me for.
3. Those god damn n s don't have anything better to do since they don't work beside reproduce, so they just keep adding onto WORLD HUNGER.
by Nathan Bedford Forrest September 19, 2007

Note that Forrest was the first Grand Wizard of the KKK
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Bedford_Forrest

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
Why do you guys like your cursing so much? There's a group of Italian exchange students around here and the three most frequent things you hear from them are "buongiorno", "scusa" and "porco dio!" :laugh:

"Porca maddona" and the list goes on. :laugh:

It's not meant to be offensive. But there are those who don't like it of course. Especially who's religious, or those who since little where educated by their families not to use those words. My mother and father never used those words for example.
I never did too. But I use other words like vaffa...:biggrin:

Last edited:

jace93

On the Ice

I don't know if we really curse that much more than you anglophone guys... I don't know how you speak in public, but on your internet comments you're always f*ck this, sh*t that... it's just that us itlins have a greater variety and we like to show it off, with all that history of great poets we have ;)

Krunchii

Record Breaker
So veering a little away from the topic of the n-word. One thing I find fascinating is how English is integrated into other languages. Korean -- namely Korean in South Korea -- has a whole ton of words that are simple English words that are pronounced with the Korean sounds.

Also English is often used in Korean pop songs.

But I think what cracks me up is seeing curse words in Korean fashion. It's really more a fashion statement, but I'm never sure if the person wearing it realizes it's a curse word in English. Example here: http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/1...nsd-sunny-curse-word-hat-dancing-queen-mv.htm

In Mandarin Chinese and Cantonese too there's a lot of English words mixed in with an accent, probably has something to do with colonialism. Like the original words still exist but it's just more trendy now to mix n the English and slang.