2015 US Nationals Senior Ladies Short Program Jan 22 | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2015 US Nationals Senior Ladies Short Program Jan 22

loopy

Final Flight
Well, at the press conference Gracie was not Ashley's best friend. Polina looked so uncomfortable. It was really a battle of the red lipsticks. Gracie did say her mistake in the jump had nothing to do with her ankle injury.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
The press conference is over, I only caught the end of it, somebody asked about Ashley's advanced age and someone else asked for some general thoughts, Ashley was more candid while Gracie was stonefaced and Polina just seemed timid

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Gracie seemed a bit snippy. She was definitely not happy with her performance, despite the placement.

Charlie and Tanith both noted that Gracie did not seem at ease in the warmup and they felt that carried through in the performance somewhat. I would have to say I agree. Ashley does seem to be more at ease.

Last edited:

loopy

Final Flight
Ashley did mention the Russians. Something to the effect of how the US needs to step it up.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looked to me like Gracie got to close to the boards and couldn't try the 3toe. Really inexcusable to skate to close to the boards and lose points because of it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ashley did mention the Russians. Something to the effect of how the US needs to step it up.

Yes. I hope people take note of this given the amount of consternation people have given her for past comments.

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker

I believe she said something like as the field in Russia grows and diversifies and gets technically stronger, the US ladies have to too to compete with them which is why she's working on upping her difficulty

samson

Medalist
Looked to me like Gracie got to close to the boards and couldn't try the 3toe.

Yeah that's what it looked like to me too. Her lutz was massive though. I wonder if it was a lack of control after the lutz, or she didn't want to hit the boards?

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Hmm, to me in the press conference, Gracie seemed a little more relaxed/natural than she often is, actually. Ashley said this Nationals was as tough as any (in response to a question to all 3 about this year's competition compared to last year's, which was an Olympic year) but Gracie felt the vibe of the competition was different with it not being in essence an Olympic trial.

I wasn't wild about Polina talking about her results showing her that the USFSA supports her. To me her phrasing made it seem like it's assumed and out in the open that some skaters are supported with favorable judging and others aren't -- something often argued by fans but not usually blatantly stated by the athletes -- unless they feel they are NOT supported, I guess.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Hmm, to me in the press conference, Gracie seemed a little more relaxed/natural than she often is, actually. Ashley said this Nationals was as tough as any (in response to a question to all 3 about this year's competition compared to last year's, which was an Olympic year) but Gracie felt the vibe of the competition was different with it not being in essence an Olympic trial.

I wasn't wild about Polina talking about her results showing her that the USFSA supports her. To me her phrasing made it seem like it's assumed and out in the open that some skaters are supported and others aren't -- something often argued by fans but not usually blatantly stated by the athletes -- unless they feel they are NOT supported, I guess.

Yeah I thought that was probably a bad idea on her part. I somewhat wonder if that support stops now. Can't see them liking that comment. Also her edge call denial is getting old.

I thought Gracie seemed a bit bitter and defensive to be honest. I think Ashley is clearly the most at ease in interviews.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Oh, Ashley is quite at ease and very personable. But I have heard Gracie sound much more nervous and tight in her voice in other interviews than she did here. Just my impression.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Actually Michael Weiss is really good. Considering his reputation as a power skater in his day, eh does a good job explaining why the second mark is important.

I couldn't agree more. He also has wonderful energy and enthusiasm. He gets excited, and uses his voice to dramatic effect.