2015 US Nationals Senior Ladies Short Program Jan 22 | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2015 US Nationals Senior Ladies Short Program Jan 22

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Just waking up here in Europe. The top ladies seemed cautious. I don't think those performances would get them on the Worlds podium. I'm a Wagner fan but this wasn't such a great skate. Missed her real drama. Gracie definately looked tight going out on the ice. Must be hard to feel that pressure yet skate freely. Nice to see Marai in such good shape.

Nationals overcooked scoring was in full swing last night for sure. I seriously doubt Ashley is going to get on the podium at Worlds with a like skate - but it's possible. Maybe with some stumbles from the top skaters she could win a bronze.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I wonder, is it better for nationals to have a lenient tech panel or an overly strict one? Or does it come down to the same thing in the end since Nationals does not count as an official score?

GF2445

Record Breaker
I wonder, is it better for nationals to have a lenient tech panel or an overly strict one? Or does it come down to the same thing in the end since Nationals does not count as an official score?

Just as long as the panel is consistent, it should be fine. People can understand if a national panel is more generous or lenient.

LeReveur

On the Ice
What do you think about Samantha Cesario's placement? I haven't watched all of the skaters, but I expected falls- plural- for Samantha to have been placed so low. Having seen her skate, she didn't fall or even stumble out of a jump. I know she is slow, but her interpretation of the music is probably the best in the U.S. and yet her PCS is below many, many ladies. What do you think is up? Are the judges taking her lack of speed and hammering her on PCS to keep her below people they think will do better internationally? I am not a skating expert and I know there is a hugely subjective element, but I just can't agree with her PCS being so far behind others and to see her way below where she was last year.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Nationals overcooked scoring was in full swing last night for sure. I seriously doubt Ashley is going to get on the podium at Worlds with a like skate - but it's possible. Maybe with some stumbles from the top skaters she could win a bronze.

Please, tell me ONE Nationals where the home cooking ISN"T going full kitchen-speed ahead? EVERYONE does it. That's why I think Nationals -- and that's any nationals, mind you -- is about placements, not points.

Thank you, sabinfire, for the videos. A real unexpected treat and much appreciated.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Please, tell me ONE Nationals where the home cooking ISN"T going full kitchen-speed ahead? EVERYONE does it. That's why I think Nationals -- and that's any nationals, mind you -- is about placements, not points.

Have you missed the japanese nationals this year by any chance? The tech callers slaughtered everyone.

Bartek

On the Ice

She wouldn't have landed the lutz as a solo jump with those transitions. Both the entrance and the exit were difficult, particularly the entrance. Ashley needs a straight , uncomplicated, backwards glide in order to set-up her lutz. Here she did a spread eagle right on the music and then some one-foot turns immediately before the jump. Very impressive short program jump-wise from Ashley. She's clearly sending the message going for the most difficult jumping content.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wagner wouldn't even be in World contention with her skate...but neither would Gold with no 3-3.

But I will say this - Wagner appears to be trying to close the gap technically between her and the top Russians (and Gold)...it's risky but she needs it to get the best shot. Clearly still more work to do. I hope she stays healthy in the process, I really do...

Florentina

On the Ice
The free skate should be really exciting with everyone so close together from 2nd place down. However, I found the SPs really quite underwhelming. I guess the inflated scoring was to be expected so I will try not complain too much. I like Ashley but I really think she shouldn't have as much of a lead regardless of who is, or should be, in 2nd. It was gutsy to try the 3Lz3T but really the snap and precision in movement, expression, and execution just wasn't there yesterday. Gracie looked tight too in the warm up as well as during the SP. Her landings really show it when she's not relaxed which is such a shame. Polina's combo was also underwhelming. However, I was pleased to see that she seems to start to adjust to her body changes. Her speed seems to have improved and her spins looked nice, so there seems to be some upward trend from the GP series. Mirai was also quite pleasant. I really like that she seems to perform more than she used to in previous years. However, that combo is just not there. Just my opinion on the top 4, granted that I watched online.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks to Sabinfire's incredibly generous video links, I can now wholeheartedly join the chorus of those who say Courtney was very undermarked. And Polina was held up a bit, too -- but mostly I was just really impressed by Courtney's skate and I really don't understand why she seems so underappreciated by US judges. That was powerful and carried a mood throughout -- it wasn't JUST the jumps, though they were an important part of the package. She really picked great music and choreo to highlight her strengths, and the costume while not great isn't quite as bad as the criticisms would suggest, to me. I wish she could be on our Worlds team -- she gets respect internationally when she delivers.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker

Generous panel - Boosts the skaters confidence going into worlds, but can give them false hope especially if they are lacking in the TES department compared to international skaters. Turning a blind eye to techinal errors is a terrible way to go.
Overly strict - Can cut down a skater's confidence and instill doubt (depending on the skater) but if the calls are accurate, it lets the skaters know that they have area's they need to work on. And if they score better internationally with similar performances, then that'll be a nice little surprise for them ;)

Of coure strict judging is only benifical if applied across the board. :sarcasm:

lehmeh

Rinkside
Ok, so I'm 57 and an older generation. We were taught to be respectful during performances, never, ever was screaming thought to be ok. Loud, huge, warm applause with a bravo maybe but never screaming. I realized this is a sporting event but........

I agree with you, and I'm a good bit younger. I've been near some people screeching at competitions and it is very unpleasant to experience.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Thanks to Sabinfire's incredibly generous video links, I can now wholeheartedly join the chorus of those who say Courtney was very undermarked. And Polina was held up a bit, too -- but mostly I was just really impressed by Courtney's skate and I really don't understand why she seems so underappreciated by US judges. That was powerful and carried a mood throughout -- it wasn't JUST the jumps, though they were an important part of the package. She really picked great music and choreo to highlight her strengths, and the costume while not great isn't quite as bad as the criticisms would suggest, to me. I wish she could be on our Worlds team -- she gets respect internationally when she delivers.

Totally agreed. Courtney is so much lowballed by the judges. Her HUGE jumps:love:, fast speed and charismatic presentation to the music should be rightfully credited. I love Ashley, Polina, and Gracie, but they are certainly overmarked, so I don't agree with the placement. I was not even a fan of Courtney! As long as placement is correct, I care less about the current trend of inflated scores especially at nationals, but this is not that case. Even though Polina redeemed herself by showing relatively a "good" performance in her SP, I'm not sure her consistency would be that good outside of her homeland. I really hope Courtney to be in the US world team.

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Great competition with many high tech performances :clap: I'm impressed by Ashley W for increasing her difficulty. Love her competitive spirit! Courtney Hicks has great big jumps etc and a I enjoyed her performance a lot. Don't understand why the judges held her down. A skater like her should be encouraged. I really hope she nails everything in FS and ends up on the world team.

Caroline Zhang is tough(and cute), all alone in the K&C. Is it money problems or why is she her own coach? Doesn't she at leas want t a friend to join her in K&C as support?

Thanks Sabinfire :rock: A real treat to be able to watch all of it at a 'normal' time. If you do the same on men I'll try to watch without peaking at the results ahead. Which will be hard due to Jeremy skating as number 21, like last - nervous… (need a biting-nails smiley)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Totally agreed. Courtney is so much lowballed by the judges. Her HUGE jumps:love:, fast speed and charismatic presentation to the music should be rightfully credited. I love Ashley, Polina, and Gracie, but they are certainly overmarked, so I don't agree with the placement. I was not even a fan of Courtney! As long as placement is correct, I care less about the current trend of inflated scores especially at nationals, but this is not that case. Even though Polina redeemed herself by showing relatively a "good" performance in her SP, I'm not sure her consistency would be that good outside of her homeland. I really hope Courtney to be in the US world team.

OK. so I got to see the video... and I agree with critics of Hicks' marks.

I'm not an expert on the ins-and-outs of PCS, but that performance had speed, fire, deep edges, an innovative combination spin, unexpected intricacies... and it was very engaging.

Even with the admirable GOE applied to that combo... I'm still not certain is wasn't under-scored. That was amazing. No question AT ALL on rotation, not a wobble or instant of uncertainty or doubt. Wonderful.

In an alternate world where ordinals were still in play, I would have placed this no worse than 2nd.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Mirai was undermarked on PCS. She had good transitions, good speed, and much improved P/E. Who is the judge who scored her in the 6's? US judges are not anonymous, are they?

deedee1

Record Breaker
Courtney' skate STOLE the show! Why US judges didn't give the right mark? Why they didn't love her? WHY??? :mad: She may be far from ice princess to be favored, but she sold the program just great. I loved every bit fo her performance!

I understand placements do matter at the nationals. At any nationals. But going for literally two 3Fs in SP can get 72+ is a bit too much... :sarcasm: I would have much much loved if Ashley to get, say, 75+ with her old jump layout (3F-3T, 3Lo) though, of course. I don't like her team's decision. :eek:hwell:

I hope Courtney Hicks will have a skate of her life in the Free AND win the US title. Gooo Courtney! :cheer::cheer:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think part of the issue on Hicks' score is that she skated early. Had she gone later with the other contenders (particularly after Wagner), probably would have seen a couple points of difference.

And it is still very close in the top 6 so Hicks can very well still get on the podium, but she may have to rely on Edmunds or Nagasu making mistakes (whether it is fair or not is beside the point - it's the reality based on the scoring at Nationals).