Abbott in for another season? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Abbott in for another season?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mrs P, you analysis in post #17 is excellent.

Not reflected in that are up and comers... specifically Nathan Chen, and who knows where he's going to be in a year or two.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm sorry he feels he has to continue. Everybody should go out on their own terms but how low does he need to go before he realizes that ship has sailed!!! I think Jeremy is a very classy, beautiful skater but his programs did nothing for me this year and it's the same ol' same ol' - and he hasn't really improved much in the last couple of years. I think he'll be a fantastic show skater and I'll enjoy watching every minute, but Jeremy is a mediocre competitor and I really don't want to see him take the place of an up and comer with a future.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Mrs P, you analysis in post #17 is excellent.

Not reflected in that are up and comers... specifically Nathan Chen, and who knows where he's going to be in a year or two.

Right! Nathan is definitely a factor.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan needs a growth spurt so he doesn't look so Junior and finally get a reliable 3axel. But the kid has already landed quads. And look at Nam and Shoma they didn't have the 3axel then suddenly in a matter of months they had the axel so i see Nathan landing it next season.

lefeury

Rinkside
I could be wrong, but I think he is roundabout saying he doesn't want headlines such as "Jeremy Abbott retires after disappointing season....". He would prefer "Jeremy Abbott having great success as choreographer,, incidentally he has chosen to retire from competitive skating.....". Can't blame him for that but just bringing the subject up shows it's on his mind.

noskates

Record Breaker
Wasn't it on his mind after the 2014 Nationals when he said he wouldn't compete on National ice again? At the rate he's going, unless he has a lot of luck on his side, the statement "Jeremy Abbott retires after disappoint season..." will be a chronic reality.

lefeury

Rinkside
I agree it is the reality,, "Jeremy Abbott retires after disappointing season..." I think Jeremy can't accept that reality and wants to find a way to put a hero's spin on his retirement.

BlackPack

Medalist
There was a thread just like this a year ago. Many people vented their frustrations at seeing him consistently bomb with calls of the Fumie Syndrome. The thread was long. This year.... people are just worried about his mental health.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
There was a thread just like this a year ago. Many people vented their frustrations at seeing him consistently bomb with calls of the Fumie Syndrome. The thread was long. This year.... people are just worried about his mental health.

Which people? Are they mentally healthy?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is plenty of room for Jeremy in figure skating. Maybe not on competitive ice, but that's not all there is.

I think he could be a phenomenal choreographer. He choreographed several of his own programs throughout the years. Jumps aside, I haven't heard criticisms of the programs themselves. They've gotten rave reviews.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Let's not forget:

Without Jeremy and Max, the U.S. men would have only two slots at Worlds this year.
And the Four Continents silver medalist Josh Farris would not be going to Worlds (except in the unlikely event that USFS had given the cold shoulder to Rippon).

The circumstances of this year's Nationals sadly were unique for Jeremy, given that his father had just died.​

Give the guy a break. If he decides to continue his competitive career, I wish him all the best. If he decides not to, I wish him all the best.

Last edited:

centerpt1

On the Ice
Let's not forget:

Without Jeremy and Max, the U.S. men would have only two slots at Worlds this year.
And the Four Continents silver medalist Josh Farris would not be going to Worlds (except in the unlikely event that USFS had given the cold shoulder to Rippon).

The circumstances of this year's Nationals sadly were unique for Jeremy, given that his father had just died.​

Give the guy a break. If he decides to continue his competitive career, I wish him all the best. If he decides not to, I wish him all the best.

This! 100% Thank you Jeremy for the 3 World slots.

He was in NY, and probably had the help of his agent to plan and give the interview. It really seems like a "send me show and Choreo offers" advert. (to me anyway)

He's been competing all his life-it's got to be hard to give that up.

If he wants to continue, I support him. (But I really think he'll retire)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Hmm, interesting to read this thread and see the feedback seems more positive now than it was last year...

If he wants to keep going, it's his business.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sorry he feels he has to continue. Everybody should go out on their own terms but how low does he need to go before he realizes that ship has sailed!!! I think Jeremy is a very classy, beautiful skater but his programs did nothing for me this year and it's the same ol' same ol' - and he hasn't really improved much in the last couple of years. I think he'll be a fantastic show skater and I'll enjoy watching every minute, but Jeremy is a mediocre competitor and I really don't want to see him take the place of an up and comer with a future.

I agree. The trouble is that he loves Nationals and could probably win or medal again, then have the same trouble at international events he always has had. I sympathize with how he must be feeling, but not at the expense of U.S. men who can compete on the world stage. Let's hope the poster is right who thinks he's making a bid for choreographing gigs or a specific performance.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Hmm, interesting to read this thread and see the feedback seems more positive now than it was last year...

If he wants to keep going, it's his business.

Yes it is his business ...but, is he just going to maybe medal at Nationals and then land 5th, 8th or 9th at Worlds? US figure skating has to move forward, if Jeremy decides to stay will that help US figure skating?? The thing is, he is not a great competitor. To medal at worlds he has to improve and get over his nerves when skating internationally.
Is he up for that? At 30?

I'm not talking about Jeremy personally, I'm looking at it from the side of US figure skating and what it will take for the US men to stay competitive internationally.

Yes, Jeremy helped secure 3 spots, but he's been around for a while now and he has not won any world or Olympic medals ( I don't count the Sochi bronze, that was a team event & we all know what happened there).
It's all well and good to want to keep competing, but you must ask if you are helping the sport and your team or are you holding it back?

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
My take is pretty simple, the young ins have to beat Jeremy at nationals. If they cannot beat Jeremy at home, how are they going to take on the more competitive international field?

The men have to SEIZE opportunities. Whether of how you feel about the placements, the top 4 all seize opportunity and did their very best at Nationals to beat Jeremy this year. Even if you didn't factor the emotional difficulties Jeremy went through, I still think we would have seen a similar scenario.

OTOH, maybe he can have a Sergei Voronov revival. Sergei is also 28, but I'd argue he's the best we've ever seen him in his career.

Last edited:

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Yes, that is true.
Looking at it now, I think Josh is looking pretty strong. We'll see what happens at Worlds. I have a feeling come Nationals 2016 Josh may be far ahead of Jeremy.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
OTOH, maybe he can have a Sergei Voronov revival. Sergei is also 28, but I'd argue he's the best we've ever seen him in his career.

He's 27...but who's counting. :) But I think Sergei's mental game is a lot stronger than Jeremy's ever was, or ever will be. Of course Jeremy can compete as long as he wants - it's his life. I don't see him as a threat to anyone else.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
He's 27...but who's counting. :) But I think Sergei's mental game is a lot stronger than Jeremy's ever was, or ever will be. Of course Jeremy can compete as long as he wants - it's his life. I don't see him as a threat to anyone else.

He will be 28 this year, he just haven't reached his birthday yet. :) I think I was thinking he was born in 1987, so that's what I was working with.

I personally don't see him as a huge threat, which is why the idea that he's taking away spots from other skaters sort as odd. As I said if you can't beat Jeremy, how are you goign to beat the rest of the international field?