Abbott in for another season? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Abbott in for another season?

edenlover

On the Ice
i just wonder how much of what happened this year was his emotional state after the loss of his father. Not everyone can rebound like JoannieJ Rochette did after the loss of her mom.

I want him to come back and get the world medal he wants so badly. I think he has a better chance when he's the underdog--performs better when the pressure is off. Best of luck to him. I hope he does it "HIS WAY." I love you, Jeremy!--almost as much as I loved--and still do-- Michelle.

SkateFan66

On the Ice
I would not be surprised if Jeremy decides to compete one more year since the World championships will be in Boston.

noskates

Record Breaker
The young-uns HAVE beaten Jeremy and will continue to do so. And yes I'm grateful that he and Max secured 2 spots for the US but that was last year!!!! Neither of them has shown (ouch - I see Karne and Golden coming after me :p )much this season. Max still doesn't have the fire he had the year he won Nationals. He has the big beautiful jumps but the rest of his skating will not compete with the tops guys internationally. Jeremy doesn't have the pressure at Nationals but at the age of 30 I seriously doubt he's going to get over the yips or suddenly skate with his feet instead of his head. I really, really do hope he gets some choreo gigs because I think he has a lot to offer in that arena. I could see him coaching with Yuka and choreographing. The thing is, he has great basic skills............they just don't always translate in competition. But I agree with someone up thread who said he still has alot to offer figure skating but I just don't think it's competing.

(runs and hides)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The young-uns HAVE beaten Jeremy and will continue to do so. And yes I'm grateful that he and Max secured 2 spots for the US but that was last year!!!! Neither of them has shown (ouch - I see Karne and Golden coming after me :p )much this season. Max still doesn't have the fire he had the year he won Nationals. He has the big beautiful jumps but the rest of his skating will not compete with the tops guys internationally. Jeremy doesn't have the pressure at Nationals but at the age of 30 I seriously doubt he's going to get over the yips or suddenly skate with his feet instead of his head. I really, really do hope he gets some choreo gigs because I think he has a lot to offer in that arena. I could see him coaching with Yuka and choreographing. The thing is, he has great basic skills............they just don't always translate in competition. But I agree with someone up thread who said he still has alot to offer figure skating but I just don't think it's competing.

(runs and hides)

Will is such a declarative word. :laugh: Yes, they have beaten him, but there are no guarantees that they will keep doing so. Ice is slippery, things can change.

I mean look at Jason...he hasn't been completely perfect this season. Last season, skated five clean SPs. This year, that number is down to 2/5 (fall at Skam, problem on 3-3 at Rostelcom, UR 4t/3A at 4CC). That's a pretty dismal stat. Of course one of those two programs came when it counted most -- Nationals! I don't present this stat to give gloom and doom (everyone knows I'm the last to do such a thing) but only to point out that things could change and there are no guarantees in position. IN Jason's case, he likely struggled with increased pressure of being the chased and not the chaser but he managed to put it all together when it counted and get on the 4CC and World team (and beat Jeremy in the process.).

Richard Dornbush beat Jeremy in 2011 but haven't beaten him since. Ross beat him in 2011 AND 2013, but hasn't done so in the last two years since due to his injuries and struggles. Heck if you want to go way back Stephen Carriere beat Jeremy in 2008 to get that last Worlds spot and hasn't done so ever since.

TL;DR: Jeremy isn't taking a spot away from anyone if the other people don't seize the opportunity. :)

No problem, then. Jeremy isn't holding anyone back. Win nationals, go to worlds.

Exactly. :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Yes it is his business ...but, is he just going to maybe medal at Nationals and then land 5th, 8th or 9th at Worlds? US figure skating has to move forward, if Jeremy decides to stay will that help US figure skating?? The thing is, he is not a great competitor. To medal at worlds he has to improve and get over his nerves when skating internationally.
Is he up for that? At 30?

I'm not talking about Jeremy personally, I'm looking at it from the side of US figure skating and what it will take for the US men to stay competitive internationally.

Yes, Jeremy helped secure 3 spots, but he's been around for a while now and he has not won any world or Olympic medals ( I don't count the Sochi bronze, that was a team event & we all know what happened there).
It's all well and good to want to keep competing, but you must ask if you are helping the sport and your team or are you holding it back?
Then the other US men could:
1) Skate even better than Jeremy at Nationals. Clearly National judges aren't holding up Jeremy, and he's not infallible either. It happened this year.
2) And/Or: Skate so exceptionally well on the GP circuit (win your events, medal at GPF) so that no matter what Jeremy does at Nationals, you give your Federation a good reason to send you.

Show that you can compete at the top. Don't just go, "Well, Jeremy screwed up at Worlds a lot. If you send me, you might get a 6th place finish, rather than his 8th."

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is not uncommon for skaters to skate even years before retiring - usually two years before the next olympics unless they win a medal or world title - if that is their peak then they retire. However, one would expect that if he continues past next year he will try for 2018 - usually you dont quit with one year left. Jeremy is still in it. The men are inconsistent an Brown doesn't have a quad yet. Who knows who will make the team between Max, Adam, Jason, Josh, Jeremy and a slew of other prospects. I am not sure his competing doesn't hurt him or others. There are always consequences ie. could be the development of another skater or another year for Jeremy not to gain some other marketable skill. So arguably someone will get hurt but that is life. I don't think he will be an embarassment otherwise that ship has long since sailed. But he has lost his sp ecialness with Rippon, Brown, Farris et al. they are matching skating skill and the judge just love and dote on Jason. a little too generous imho. I wonder if there was no money would he still be skating ie for his coach, travelling, costumes, choreo.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
It is not uncommon for skaters to skate even years before retiring - usually two years before the next olympics unless they win a medal or world title - if that is their peak then they retire. However, one would expect that if he continues past next year he will try for 2018 - usually you dont quit with one year left. Jeremy is still in it. The men are inconsistent an Brown doesn't have a quad yet. Who knows who will make the team between Max, Adam, Jason, Josh, Jeremy and a slew of other prospects. I am not sure his competing doesn't hurt him or others. There are always consequences ie. could be the development of another skater or another year for Jeremy not to gain some other marketable skill. So arguably someone will get hurt but that is life. I don't think he will be an embarassment otherwise that ship has long since sailed. But he has lost his sp ecialness with Rippon, Brown, Farris et al. they are matching skating skill and the judge just love and dote on Jason. a little too generous imho. I wonder if there was no money would he still be skating ie for his coach, travelling, costumes, choreo.

Well if he feels he is not done then he should go for it.
I wish him the best whichever he decides. The chips will fall where they may and if they fall in his favor then good and good for us. He has brought a lot to the skating world.

Flaya

Match Penalty
I do not see a problem, if he wants to continue let him continue.

He can beat any of the top 3 from this year's US Nationals. New skaters will be a challenge too, but if he enjoys it, why not. I enjoy his performances. ;)

And let's not forget that Fumie Suguri only retired a few months ago at the age of 34 (although she wasn't able to make it to the Japanese championships in recent years).

jwren

Rinkside
From Alison Scott's (his mother) latest blog entry on ontheedgeofskating.blogspot.com, it sure sounded like Nats was the end to his competitive journey. I would think Jeremy's mother would probably be the first to know about his future plans (but maybe he changed his mind?)

centerpt1

On the Ice
From Alison Scott's (his mother) latest blog entry on ontheedgeofskating.blogspot.com, it sure sounded like Nats was the end to his competitive journey. I would think Jeremy's mother would probably be the first to know about his future plans (but maybe he changed his mind?)

His mom clearly wanted him to quit after 2014 Worlds. He didn't quit then.

But I think he's done now.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
...and watching Fumie the last couple of years was painful.

Ouch, but the next year's World will be held in Boston and men and women are different in speaking of physical aspects. I really hope he retires with a World medal in his homeland if he wants to go for one more year.

Flaya

Match Penalty
Ouch, but the next year's World will be held in Boston and men and women are different in speaking of physical aspects. I really hope he retires with a World medal in his homeland if he wants to go for one more year.

I agree with you. I do not see why he would not be able to grab one of the likely two places in the US team next year.

I do not think any of the *juniors* will be ready to challenge the elite 5 or 6 skaters.

Abbott, Brown, Rippon, Farris, Aaron or Miner, so why shouldn't Abbott give it a try?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Anyone think that his decision might be contingent on Brown/Farris/Rippon getting 3 spots for next year's Worlds? I mean, I guess he can give it another go if they only get 2 spots (he's certainly still a favourite).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The young-uns HAVE beaten Jeremy and will continue to do so. And yes I'm grateful that he and Max secured 2 spots for the US but that was last year!!!! Neither of them has shown (ouch - I see Karne and Golden coming after me :p )much this season. ...

(runs and hides)

Will is such a declarative word. :laugh: Yes, they have beaten him, but there are no guarantees that they will keep doing so. Ice is slippery, things can change.

I mean look at Jason...he hasn't been completely perfect this season. Last season, skated five clean SPs. This year, that number is down to 2/5 (fall at Skam, problem on 3-3 at Rostelcom, UR 4t/3A at 4CC). That's a pretty dismal stat. Of course one of those two programs came when it counted most -- Nationals! I don't present this stat to give gloom and doom (everyone knows I'm the last to do such a thing) but only to point out that things could change and there are no guarantees in position. IN Jason's case, he likely struggled with increased pressure of being the chased and not the chaser but he managed to put it all together when it counted and get on the 4CC and World team (and beat Jeremy in the process.).

Richard Dornbush beat Jeremy in 2011 but haven't beaten him since. Ross beat him in 2011 AND 2013, but hasn't done so in the last two years since due to his injuries and struggles. Heck if you want to go way back Stephen Carriere beat Jeremy in 2008 to get that last Worlds spot and hasn't done so ever since.

TL;DR: Jeremy isn't taking a spot away from anyone if the other people don't seize the opportunity. :)

Exactly. :)

Agree with Mrs. P; Mathman; and others. It's up to the younger ones to beat Jeremy when it counts.
I forever will regret that Max did not get to Sochi, but I do not regret that Jeremy did. Jeremy and Jason both earned their Sochi spots. I regret only that the U.S. did not have a third spot for Max.

My reply to noskates' dismissiveness of what Max has shown this season:
Max won a GP medal and a Challenger gold this season -- which is more than Adam and Josh can say about their respective pre-Nats results. And Max had good skates at Nats (where he was sick), although not good enough to make the top three.
I'm just giving a rebuttal to noskates' specific words. Not diminishing that Jason, Adam, and Josh placed higher than Max at Nats; that Josh won the Four Continents silver, which was huge :); and that Josh had to overcome injuries.

I agree with you. I do not see why he would not be able to grab one of the likely two places in the US team next year.

I do not think any of the *juniors* will be ready to challenge the elite 5 or 6 skaters.

Abbott, Brown, Rippon, Farris, Aaron or Miner, so why shouldn't Abbott give it a try?

I would add Dornbush and Nathan Chen to your list of those in the mix.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And I regret that Max invested so much emotion and energy and desperation into getting that third spot back - because he never wanted to feel like that again - and ended up being left at home again.

Joshua is on an upward trend in form, at least. Jason had his best LP yet at 4CCs. They are the only hope for the three spots.

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
It frustrates me when they send Abbott with hopes that maybe this year... but y'all are right. It is up to the men competing at Nationals to beat him and chase him off the podium. They were quite successful this year though he had a chance to medal after the SP. He is thirty but other men have stayed and been successful after 30 (Eldridge, Plushy) so while he is no spring chicken, he is in no way too old to skate. I am not sure what not placing on the podium at Nationals will do for his future plans. Just because he came back this year doesn't mean he signed on for the entire Olympic Quadrennial. He might hang it up now (like Sarah Hughes did after her abysmal follow up year to OGM) or he may be hungry for a better showing and desire for a WC in Boston and another Olympic run. I like Max Aaron and I wish he was beating Jason Brown at the moment because he is a better jumper. But with that said, his coaches need to get him into better music/program/style and he has to put some transitions, footwork, artistry, etc. with the jumps to win beyond the one nationals win.