2015 Lombardia Trophy (Italy), Sep 17 - 20 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2015 Lombardia Trophy (Italy), Sep 17 - 20

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Sorry, had to pop off.

Just refreshed the page, and the livestream is LIVE. Alessia TORNAGHI (second to start in Group 2) is waiting for her scores.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The final skater in Group 3, Sophia SCHALLER of Austria, and her coach were wearing pointy cardboard hats while waiting for the results.

So, I just did a search, and found out that today is Sophia's 15th birthday.

:cheer: HAPPY BIRTHDAY SOPHIA!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I know that somebody (probably Golden ;) ) answered this for me one time before, but I can't find where I asked (and Wikipedia doesn't say!)

What is the age range for Advanced Novice level?

There are 2 reasons I am wondering this again.

Firstly, as I as I mentioned above, today is Sophia Schaller's 15th birthday. So, if we had ages measured at the start competitions rather than on 1st July, she would now be eligible to compete at SENIOR level!

The other reason I ask is that the girl that opened Group 3, Aurora COLAONE of Italy, looks too, erm, "mature" to be competing in a Novice competition...! :slink:

CaroLiza_fan

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Well, I don't know, but wasn't Emily Chan (JGP Bratislava) in Novice category last season too? And she's 18 now IIRC, so she must have been at least 17 then..

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Kudos to Isabel RATSEPP of Estonia for not only being brave enough to use an epic piece like "Lux Aeterna", but to pull it off!

And the girl that followed her, Alina URUSHADZE of Latvia, was SOOO entertaining! The music, costume, everything was so different to everything we had seen before her!

Well, I don't know, but wasn't Emily Chan (JGP Bratislava) in Novice category last season too? And she's 18 now IIRC, so she must have been at least 17 then..

Wow! I never really paid attention to the younger age levels before this season, so I didn't know that.

I would never have imagined that you could still compete at Advanced Novice at that age!

But, I think the girl that finished off the competition (Sara LAVAGNINI of Italy) is proof that you can. There is no way she is your typical young skater coming through the ranks. She HAS to be in her later teens. She is absolutely stunning!!! :love:

That other girl I was talking about earlier (Aurora COLAONE) might have a bust to rival Elene Gedevanishvili, but it is obvious that she is still relatively young.

Right, I'm away for my dinner now.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Unpredictably high level of Novice Ladies, especially good spins.

It surprised me too!

I know I missed the first 6, but I was impressed with practically everybody I saw. Put it like this, a lot of those "Novice" girls could have done pretty well in a certain Junior GP we had recently...! ;)

Didn't see the boys, so I don't know if they were as good.

I'm only popping back in temporarily for about 10 or 15 minutes. But, hopefully I'll get to watch some of the later groups in this Junior Ladies competition.

Just one question, though. How come only one of the Junior girls had skated by the time I arrived? I was expecting them to be onto the 4th or 5th skater, as the competition was supposed to have started 25 minutes earlier!

I suppose this is another example of the "typical Italian organization" skills we were on about earlier... :rolleye:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Boys were worse than girls.

Thanks. I was having my dinner when they were on, and then was watching the snooker. My fellow countryman, Mark Allen, was on one of the TV tables, but unfortunately it was the one that Eurosport wasn't showing! :bang: Otherwise, I could have taped it and watched the skating.

But, the match is now over, so I'm here for the rest of the afternoon! :cheer:

Yun Sun-Min of Korea just about to kick off Group 3

CaroLiza_fan

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I know that somebody (probably Golden ;) ) answered this for me one time before, but I can't find where I asked (and Wikipedia doesn't say!)

What is the age range for Advanced Novice level? ...

"No subgroups by age are established for Advanced Novices in all disciplines," per ISU Communication 1947 (see the bottom of page 1).

ETA, caveat:
See CL_fan's post below for the complete answer. Apologies that the one sentence I quoted does not give the full story.​

(If someone had looked into this question before, I don't think I was the one. I don't have any sense of deja vu :laugh: ;).)

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
"No subgroups by age are established for Advanced Novices in all disciplines," per ISU Communication 1947 (see the bottom of page 1).

(If someone had looked into this question before, I don't think I was the one. I don't have any sense of deja vu :laugh: ;).)

Apologies for the extra credit. I just guessed that it would have been you, as you are normally the member that is the quickest to find rules! :agree:

Very interesting document!

So, if I am interpreting the whole of the first page right, to be a Novice, you have to be at least 10, but less than 15.

This age range is split in 2 at Basic level. But if you are good enough, you can go into Advanced level at any age within the Novice range.

Which would explain why, in the 2014 Cyprus Championships, Daniella Ipsarides was competing at Advanced level, while Giorgia Secchi (who is older than Daniella) was competing at Basic level.

I never understood before how that had managed to happen, but now I do! So, thank you! :bow:

To summarise:

10 ≤ Basic Novice A > 13
13 ≤ Basic Novice B > 15
10 ≤ Advanced Novice > 15

…on the previous 1st July.

So, to answer my question, the oldest of the girls we saw competing this morning are 15.

Sorry, but I just can’t get my head around the idea that Sara LAVIGNINI is at most 15! :shocked:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Anyone have Results? The link does not work for me ...

I don't know what has gone wrong, but it has been mis-behaving ever since I came back a couple of hours ago. (It was alright during the Advanced Novice SP earlier... :confused: )

Sometimes refreshing the page brings back the results, sometiems it doesn't.

I actually thought the page turning white was a problem at my end (I was watching snooker on a bootleg stream with virus-ridden pop-ups earlier!) So, it is actually re-assuring to hear that it is not just me it is happening to.

LOVED Sara Conti there now! :rock:

We need more rock music in figure skating! :rock:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... So, if I am interpreting the whole of the first page right, to be a Novice, you have to be at least 10, but less than 15.

This age range is split in 2 at Basic level. But if you are good enough, you can go into Advanced level at any age within the Novice range. ...

Apologies that my quote of just the one sentence was misleading :bang:. (I will go back and edit my post above.)

When I had skimmed the first page of the document earlier, I had convinced myself that the upper age limit of fifteen applied only to Basic Novices.
But now that I have read your post, I have taken a second look at the document and see that it does apply to Advanced Novices too.

matscol

Rinkside
Does anyone know if there's archived video of the novices?

Organizations worldwide need to catch on to the idea that having this sort of video available is going to be crucial to keeping the sport alive. It lets fans develop attachments to skaters early and keep coming back each year to see their progress. They're doing a good job with the Jr. Grand Prix videos, but it would be great to have more (and to have an organized central repository).

ice coverage

Record Breaker

... it would be great to have more (and to have an organized central repository).

A good sign for this year's video is that 2014 Lombardia video is archived and available on demand:

Regarding an organized central repository, I will take this opportunity to say:
Doris has been making herculean efforts to make GS an organized central repository of links to every video from every competition that she can hunt down (no matter how prominent or obscure).
I realize that it is a different type of endeavor from archiving the video itself.
But we are very lucky that Doris is going way above and beyond the call of duty to make any existing archived video accessible to us.
Many, many thanks to Doris :bow:.
(And thanks also to Mao88, whose contributions also are very valuable.)​

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Organizations worldwide need to catch on to the idea that having this sort of video available is going to be crucial to keeping the sport alive. It lets fans develop attachments to skaters early and keep coming back each year to see their progress. They're doing a good job with the Jr. Grand Prix videos, but it would be great to have more (and to have an organized central repository).

Last year's Italian Nationals used the same site for their streaming last year. I couldn't remember if the coverage got archived or not, so I just looked up the thread, and they did.

HOWEVER, although the videos are are still listed, they are not playable now. :bang:

I would say that there is a good chance that the same will happen here at the Lombardia.

So, maybe it was a good thing that I decided to try to watch as much LIVE as possible. ;)

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited: