2015-16 Grand Prix Final Ladies Free Skate | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2015-16 Grand Prix Final Ladies Free Skate

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Oh the list is long. Starting with her tights (half over the boots), they dislike the tanos and frankly don't feel like she deserves the PCS she is getting. They are okay with her winning, but that's all, the rest is only criticism. She certainly didn't receive an enthusiastic applause from them for her win here.

RABID

Final Flight
People whining about Evgenia's score need to realize the judges had no choice. The set it all up with their marks really high for Ashley, which frankly were too high :confused2: Then they had to inflate Sako to put her on top so of course Evgenia was going to get even higher for her skate ;)

She is of course, her own skater and does and has things Yuna didn't and vice versa as well. But she does remind me of Yuna in so many ways and funny enough in this regard as well. I remember folks on these boards constantly saying the same thing after almost every win of hers. "Yes, she deserves the win but, dog gone it, do they have to score her so high?!" :laugh:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
5/6 senior men were also invited as well.... Dice and Gracie missed out :sad21:. Less Pairs/Dance teams were invited too, only 4/6

That's pretty ouch for them.... but if they're limited to only 5 exhibitions, then it makes sense to leave Dice and Gracie out as harsh as that is. :cry:

Ice Diva

On the Ice
Oh the list is long. Starting with her tights (half over the boots), they dislike the tanos and frankly don't feel like she deserves the PCS she is getting. They are okay with her winning, but that's all, the rest is only criticism. She certainly didn't receive an enthusiastic applause from them for her win here.

LOL - have to agree with German Eurosport about the tights! Medvedev's a beautiful skater, gorgeous dress -- and then she wears those hideous, orange tinged tights half over her boots completely spoiling the image.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
LOL - have to agree with German Eurosport about the tights! Medvedev's a beautiful skater, gorgeous dress -- and then she wears those hideous, orange tinged tights half over her boots completely spoiling the image.

Yes, that's a very large negative. How can they make such an oversight for something like that... It'd be so simple to fix.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Live report:

The winner of the audience affections and the "who got the biggest applause" contest: Ashleeey Wagneeer!!!

winky97

Medalist
I didn't watch Ladies ceremony. Did Elena really re-do her hair for this? She is a diva.:)

I don't think she redid her hair. I think she just took all the bun down. It was down at the press conference too.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Yes, that's a very large negative. How can they make such an oversight for something like that... It'd be so simple to fix.

They were like "This would never happen with an American skater!" And they usually love the Russians.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I am wondering whether she does that for the skate of skating securely. Polina does exactly the same thing. I am thinking it is their coach who thinks the tights would protect shoe strings from getting loose, or something like that. If you are a skater, what would make you do that? I mean the tights are designed in a way they can cover the boots. There must be a function of that.

FIREBIRD

On the Ice
In my opinion, all of the ladies today were over scored. The judges were a bit too generous. And Satoko, receiving THAT score with such pre-rotated jumps! Talk about a TES inflation! It’s so wrong, that I find it funny. I’m seriously starting to believe that her coach bribes the tech panel..why else won’t her jumps get called UR? :disagree:

Furthermore, what’s up with Mao!? So much talent, yet so insecure? I don’t understand it! :tantrum:

And Gracie, Gracie, Gracie….girl, you’r giving a bad reputation to my username (haha jk). :palmf:

Finally, a huge congarts to Lena…a true fighter! :cheer2:

Alex D

Record Breaker
Ladies review

First of all, we saw that the sport has really progressed and that we do have a very tight field these days, much tighter than a few years ago. You need to have two clean skates to win a competition and too many mistakes in one of the two programs, can cost you the medal. It is the same high quality that we saw at Sochi in the ladies bracket and I think, this is very good for the sport and the audiences, as we have a winner with two almost perfect programs and not someone who fell a few times, yet won because of a popularity bonus or the sheer fact that said skater fell a bit less.

Another aspect that I noticed is the quality of the overall programs regarding CH and INT. For me, both things are very important as it is not a jumping contest, but a sport with strong artistry and you need to sell your programs to the audiences and tell them a story. I felt, that each skater while in different ways, was able to do just that.

Evgenia , won the competition with two amazing skates. It is hard to tell what you like more, is it the short with the amazing construction of her program, in which she stands out from the masses, who go safe and overload their program with jumps at the start, while she does hers at the end or is it the free, which is not less well constructed, but more traditional and offers that incredible step sequence and huge difficulty in her elements such as the seven triples, huge spins and a wonderful opening sequence.
Personally, I do not understand the hate some people have for this girl, she was a class of her own and rightfully rewarded with a huge score. She came clean twice, the Lutz today oh well..., seriously what difference does it make? If not her, who then should get the highest score?

In my opinion, she has like Yulia (who sadly left the team) a highly talented bunch of people that push their choreographies to a new level and they go for the strong artistry element and it seems like more and more follow their tracks. Look at Rika Hongo FS, Alaine Chartrand SP and of course the Americans here ... - we are getting the stories and choreographies back, those elements that made FS so popular once with Witt & co. isn´t this wonderful?
It is what makes FS interesting for me, jumps are good and I respect everyone who does them, not only because I can´t, but because it is a sport after all. At the same time, however, I am happy that we do have actual story lines in the ladies these days. It makes the whole thing more attractive for the people and it is just gorgeous to look at.

Satoko, came second and I am glad she did. As I said on day one, I felt she could have been on the podium on day one already and today she did prove why. This girl is a jewel, with 17 years such a strong expression and wonderful interpretation of a very mature music, this is world class! People tend to call her out for the jumps and maybe this is true - heck I never was a jumper, but a dancer, so I do not have their knowledge, but the truth is, if you watch her skates then none of these "pre rotations" or "flat" jumps, turn me down. It is a similar "discussion" with Yulia once, I never understood it there and I will not now.

The Japanese skates smooth, with great use of her arms, always strong posture, heads up high, while trying to link her elements so, that it looks natural, like with the spin entrance, when she comes out from her flip it is wonderful. What I also like beside spinning in two different directions is the actual choreography here. Un Sospiro means "a sigh" and when she takes her blade from the gas, exactly this comes across, she is going inside herself, just like we in the audience did and then moved on and it was all natural and smooth.

Besides that, she also had seven triples and while not the triple - triple as Evgenia and some of the others, a double Axel and triple Toe twice. We are talking of a teenager, a teenager who has incredible potential and already, a huge presence on the ice and that layback belongs right into a museum, it is phenomenal.

Elena :thumbsup:, did not have her best day and I do know she can sail her Titanic much better, even if it won´t make a difference in the end, as Jack will die anyways. :dev2: But the point is, her potential for the future is very high, she has to mature a bit more, so that she gains more variety in her appearances again, as a kid she once did a Zombie, so it is there and just needs to come out to the surface again. This season, she is more the love type skater and Hollywood girl and as I said after the short, she knows how to make you love her and exactly this can make things hard at times, especially if you see things that can be improved by her, but also the choreography and music cut, could need some work - but for this it is too late now anyways, and it would be wrong to doctor around there now. She loves her programs as she always says and this counts for something too.

Today she again struggled with the Lutz - Toe at the start and again she came back strong and rebuild her program to land it afterwards. 16 years of age and great comeback qualities she has and if I am a bit critical with her, then only because I know what she is capable of, there is a lot more in this girls body, she can have amazing footwork and interpretation, she is always going for it, a real fighter and if you consider that almost all skaters struggled with the heat and ice quality, something that helped her today and that she can be very proud of!

Ashley :bow:, for me the lady of the day. From the aspect of artistry and acting, world class. You understood exactly what she was showing you, incredible maturity and facial expression. I do not think that I saw Ashley with such an intense interpretation before, I believe she knew exactly, that she had to make a stand for herself today, after the "miserable" short. How Rafael could stay so calm is beyond me, I would have kissed and hugged Ashley for hours, she just delivered today, it was wow.

One day I fly away, look at her grace - this is fantastic! She must have had some extra sessions there in front of the mirror in the ballet room, or the make up part, look at her expression, damn and then the show must go on, hell of choreography and interpretation of a real woman! This is the difference to the kids on ice, she can really use her maturity for such parts, while making it look like a real actor on Broadway. The judging in this regard was very good, they saw it, they understood it and gave her a 9.25 and 9.04. She needed to be on top there, there is a difference and it was expressed by the score, thank you!

The gap to Elena, might have been too big - but she can be damn proud on herself today, what a fight with seven triples and I can only repeat again and again, how important mature skates by the women of the field, are.

Gracie, my lady number one and the firebird is just like Moulin Rogue, a phenomenal program by Lori, to me her best work and Gracie can really rock it. That bird is there, on the ice, full with fire in it´s eyes, I love her knee work, the balletic postures, the strong, dramatic and at times threatening postures. She is so versatile this girl, there is nothing she can not portrait!

She is summoned and does her job right, I love how she is able to really show what this whole thing is all about, she stays in character the whole time - you really need to sit at the ice rink for this program, I think only then it will really translate to 100% and it will kick you out of your seats.

As example, the loop is right on beat, followed by her strong expression and then we go into this amazing step sequence, what a beast that is. How she sells this, honestly guys - does nobody else see this, hair, dress, make up, choreographic elements - she is just greatly in character. Gracie has such gorgeous lines, when she is using the more uplifting part of the music for instance, the only time I think when she smiles and it fits lovely, I just love this program and so hope, no I know that she will skate it clean at Boston and Nationals. Don´t forget, she could not skate at TEB, she lacks a few competitive skates still - but she will come back, I know that!

I believe in Gracie!

Mao :console:, it was very sad to see, that it did not work for her today and I always felt sorry that she was kind of in the shadow of other skaters at times, as she is really a great performer and entertainer and of course skater. She deserves better, but I think you can not expect to just win again, after having a break - not even Yuna Kim could do it. To me, Mao is still someone who is able to skate beautiful programs, I love her SP and how much she puts into it. The FS is about the Japanese woman she portraits and it is great once she lands the jumps. It is totally different and I like that, no skate is like the other - I really wish her all the best for the next skates.

In conclusion, we saw again, that the current Ladies bracket is very tight with one girl on top, who just seems to have nerves of steel. I am a big fan of many programs this season, I like the variety that we have and that many skaters really invest money and time into strong choreographies and do not just focus on their jumps. Figure skating is not dead yet and while I am critical about a lot of things, the Ladies really do amazing this season and it makes me a very happy man.

Thank you very much, until next time!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
"In my opinion, she has like Yulia (who sadly left the team) a highly talented bunch of people that push their choreographies to a new level and they go for the strong artistry element and it seems like more and more follow their tracks. Look at Rika Hongo FS, Alaine Chartrand SP and of course the Americans here ... - we are getting the stories and choreographies back, those elements that made FS so popular once with Witt & co. isn´t this wonderful?"
Oh well, :drama::laugh2::rofl:
@Alex D no offense, but I just really wanna Laugh Out Loud after I read your comment:biggrin:
BTW, I just realized Eugenia's total score beat Yuna's 2013 worlds.

Last edited:

Tallorder

On the Ice
All the events, though the ladies event ESPECIALLY (miss you Liza!) made me wish the field could include 8 athletes, not just 6.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Posted this in her fan fest, but with the new ISU Rankings updated, Satoko Miyahara is now ranked #1 :agree:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Finally, the general sentiment here is that Satoko "wuznotrobbed", in fact vice versa. Actually, I see no problem in her silver today. It was not the best Elena's skating - def. not the one she delivered in Moscow. Hence, I would call it "correct podium" - alas, I had seen it differently.

Ashley is a fighter and an entertaining skater. But Gracie will be pushed over and over again because at Ashley's age it seems unlikely that she can overcome her tech issues. And without that she will never get more than 205 which is not enough to win and hardly is enough to get to the podium at the worlds. Gracy's theoretical potential is much higher - may be she will get the peak form in Boston. But now, she is the only one not to be invited to the gala...

Mao and Liza are in the same boat now. Both are clearly behind Medvedeva as is. But both have tremendous untapped potential.

Zhenya delivered majic. She has a complex yet delicate program. She can feel the music like no one. She is fast and confident. Is she going to beef up her tech content in the future like adding 3A and remaining clean? Will she steer through puberty without problems? If the answers are yes to both questions she may turn into the best skater ever.

As for the scores, I do not want to compare them with pre-Sochi times - this is new era now. Last season Liza had 218 combined while her realized tech content was much weaker besides 3A. And her skating skills, choreo, and feeling of the music are not near those of Medvedeva. What combo did she have, 3t-3t? Can you compare it with multiple backloaded combos that Zhenya offers? Thinking like this I see no big issues with 222 here.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker

wusswuss

On the Ice
Mao had a beautiful outside edge on her Lutz, got credit for her 3f3l at NHK so this could all Line up beautifully for her at world's. :) but srsly that Lutz was beautiful