Madeline Aaron & Max Settlage

ice coverage

Record Breaker
New article:

Aaron and Settlage find their rhythm
By Paula Slater
Published: August 20, 2015
http://www.goldenskate.com/2015/08/madeline-aaron-max-settlage-2/

U.S. pair skaters Madeline Aaron and Max Settlage continue to push forward and are aiming to make the Four Continents and World team this upcoming season. [More]

While they are thrilled to have been selected to compete at Cup of China later this fall, they are keeping their fingers crossed for more international assignments.

Quoting the parts about their new programs, both choreographed by Julie Marcotte:

This upcoming season, the 2015 U.S. national pewter medalists will be performing to Edith Piaf’s “Hymne à l’amour” for their short program.

For their long program, Marcotte wanted something different than the “The King and I,” and choreographed their new routine to selections from Puccini’s La Bohème.

Last edited:

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
New article:

Aaron and Settlage find their rhythm
By Paula Slater
Published: August 20, 2015
http://www.goldenskate.com/2015/08/madeline-aaron-max-settlage-2/

Quoting the parts about their new programs, both choreographed by Julie Marcotte:

This upcoming season, the 2015 U.S. national pewter medalists will be performing to Edith Piaf’s “Hymne à l’amour” for their short program.

For their long program, Marcotte wanted something different than the “The King and I,” and choreographed their new routine to selections from Puccini’s La Bohème.
I'm kind of surprised they didn't receive a second grand prix this season, actually. They did pretty well for the senior debut. I suppose USFSA is waiting to see if they get invited elsewhere to replace other withdrawals before handing away the TBA at skate America

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Maddie and Max (and Max!) are off to Nebelhorn!

ice coverage

Record Breaker

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Maddie/Max are assigned to Tallinn Trophy (Challenger event) in November, two weeks after their Cup of China assignment.

Seems that live streaming will be available at https://www.youtube.com/user/tallinntrophy.

They are not competing at Nebelhorn, although they appeared on the initial roster.​

(BTW, their friends Fields/Stevens are assigned to Golden Spin of Zagreb in December.)

Thanks to StitchMonkey :bow: for flagging the updates to the USFS assignments page.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sappenfield thinks the 2014 U.S. junior champions, fourth in the U.S. last season, will surprise in Saint Paul.

"They are doing very, very well. I think they are more prepared this year than they were last year at this time," she said. "Not doing the Grand Prix gave them time to work on their skating skills and unison, so it wasn't time wasted. They are finally feeling like the old Madi and Max."

Best to Maddie and Max in St. Paul :yay:.

Group photos including them at the Broadmoor Skating Club send-off dinner for Nats:

LRK

Record Breaker
I'm looking forward to seeing them, and wish them good luck at Nationals! :)

Tallorder

On the Ice
Wishing them all the best for Nationals. Must have been disappointing to have to withdraw from their Grand Prix assignments (ISU points and all). Here's to hoping they gain the opportunity to make up for some lost time with a strong showing at Nationals.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Maddie and Max for winning the pewter medal at Nats :).

Backstage interviews of Maddie/Max (conducted by Michael Buckley):

ETA, Maddie and Max's FS is almost at the beginning of this video from sabinfire:

2016 U.S. Nationals - Pairs FS NBC
Published on Jan 23, 2016
https://youtu.be/a3CaxIjFze8?t=22s (Maddie/Max take the ice at approx. 0:22)​

ETA (on Jan 24), Maddie and Max have been named as the first alternates for Four Continents and second alternates for Worlds.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
ETA (on Feb 4), update:

Maddie/Max are not listed among the Bavarian Open entries added on Feb 4 to the USFS assignments page.

They had been listed on the Feb 3 list of Bavarian Open entries published on the event page, which was the source of the information below.

ETA (on Feb 16):

The Bavarian Open results page now serves as confirmation that Maddie/Max are not competing at the Bavarian Open.
At this point, no sign of them among the Senior Pairs entries.
http://eiskunstlauf.bev-eissport.de/BO2016/CAT003EN.HTM

And no sign of Maddie/Max in today's USFS press release that lists its Bavarian Open entries:
http://usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=51837&type=media (Feb 16)​

Maddie/Max are on the entry list for the Bavarian Open in Oberstdorf. Good luck to them :yay:.

Preliminary schedule in local time:

Friday, 19 February 2016
- approx. 20:45 Senior Pairs SP

Saturday, 20 February 2016
- approx. 18:45 Senior Pairs FS​

Hat tip to silverfoxes for the entry list and for the GS comp thread:

The ISU page for the Bavarian Open

To my surprise, Maddie was mentioned in IN's concussion series yesterday:

Concussions in figure skating: How they happen
Crossovers, three-turns can be just as risky as difficult throws, lifts

Posted 2/2/16
by Lynn Rutherford
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/02/02/163386260 (first of three parts)

It doesn't take a fall out of a lift, or crash into the boards on a quadruple jump. In figure skating, a concussion sometimes doesn't take much at all. ...

... even for pairs, many concussions happen on simple moves. ....

This summer, Madeline Aaron, who came in fourth at the 2016 U.S. Championships with partner Max Settlage, suffered a mild concussion after a fall on a basic move for an elite skater: a mohawk, a turn that involves a change of foot but no change of edge. ....

I either had forgotten or never knew about Maddie's mild concussion.

When they withdrew from Cup of China, USFS cited only Max's back injury.

I'm excited for them that they are able to compete one more time this season in Obertsdorf :).

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Maddie and Max performed at Fur Rondy on Ice in Anchorage, AK. Mar of 2015.
(that would be Fur Rondezvous in full) ....

This weekend, Maddie and Max S are returning for the 2016 edition of Fur Rondy on Ice in Anchorage. :dance2:

Keegan Messing will be another guest skater.

ETA:

Maddie and Max S will be guest skaters also for Showtime on Ice, Apr 22-24, in Centennial, Colorado.

Mirai will be another guest skater.

Max A and Polina were guest skaters for 2015 Showtime on Ice.​

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Maddie helped with the USFS Jump On It camp in Colorado Springs this weekend :).

Not-to-be-missed :luv17: lovely photos of Maddie and Dr. Aaron skating together at Showtime On Ice:
maddieaaron25
Got to skate in the father daughter number at @showtimeonice! It brought back so many great memories for me. ��������
https://www.instagram.com/p/BE95dIWE0Ij/ (posted May 3)​

Catching up on other photos from Showtime On Ice:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thanks so much for keeping us up to date on what Maddie and Max are doing, golden411icecoverage. I am hoping for an injury free season for them this coming year!

I did not see this video listed for them yet:

Maddie and Max at the 2016 US Nationals Gala
"Are You Gonna Be My Girl"
by Jet
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&id=1376481349

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Maddie and Max S are with Tamara Moskvina :cool: in a Team Dalilah photo posted by TSL this week:

ETA:
Forgot to add that it seems that Maddie and Max S have been working also with Ben Agosto, now that he is based at the World Arena.
Maddie and Max both posted the same self-deprecating video, and I assume they really are getting some dance training to help with their pair skating?

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Aaron and Settlage Seek to Flourish

Excerpt:

Part of this season’s fresh start, though, includes a remnant of last season in the form of their romantic short program, set to Edith Piaf’s “Hymne à l’amour.”

“Our choreographer [Julie Marcotte] kind of gave it to us because she felt that we had the artistic ability to portray the feeling of this program, which is really emotionally raw,” said Aaron. While layout has been revised to create a fresh look, the feeling is unchanged. “We hope to have grown on it from last year.”

Marcotte was also behind their new long program, which takes the pair in a slightly new direction from the more lyrical ballet and theatrical pieces of previous seasons.

“We’re going to skate to Scheherazade, which is a little bit different for us,” said Aaron. “We’re best at ballets, so this is kind of a spin on a ballet for us. It does take us out of the box a little bit from our previous ballet programs, for sure, so I think it’s going to be a good amount of growth for us.”

“I definitely think we want to show that we’re capable of a broader spectrum of style,” said Settlage. “I definitely feel like this is a breakout program and that our choreography is still matching our style, but it pushes us to do something different.”

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
:sad4: Maddie and Max S have ended their partnership. :sad4:

Excerpts from the IN article today:

Settlage said he plans to continue competing and will actively search for a new partner, while Aaron will return home to Arizona and consider her options for the future.

"I want to stay in the sport," Settlage said. "... While I would like to compete in the coming season, I don't know if it's a realistic idea."

"I'm still open to see if there's any opportunity for my skating career," Aaron said. "... I'll take some time off -- I definitely need time to breathe."

.... In telephone interviews, each spoke highly of the other.

"I'm very thankful for all the experiences I've been through with Maddie," Settlage said. "Nothing will ever take away from all the things we accomplished together. I can't express how grateful I am, and I have no regrets at all. In the end, it was just a difference in training."

"A partnership is two people, and they have to get along and agree, and sometimes they don't always see eye to eye," Aaron said. "We're good friends, and we'll always remain so. Max and I respect each other so much, and I wish him the best in whatever he decides to do."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/08/03/193155062

Sending big hugs :ghug: and best wishes to both Maddie :luv17: and Max :luv17:.

And big thanks :bow: to both for giving us so much as partners.

ETA, the announcement from USFS has additional quotes from both Maddie and Max, such as this one from Maddie:

"... I am not closing the door on my skating career and I am open to more opportunities with a new partner. ...

http://usfigureskating.org/story?id=89869&type=media

Last edited:

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:sad4: Maddie and Max S have ended their partnership. :sad4:

Excerpts from the IN article today:

Settlage said he plans to continue competing and will actively search for a new partner, while Aaron will return home to Arizona and consider her options for the future.

"I want to stay in the sport," Settlage said. "... While I would like to compete in the coming season, I don't know if it's a realistic idea."

"I'm still open to see if there's any opportunity for my skating career," Aaron said. "... I'll take some time off -- I definitely need time to breathe."

.... In telephone interviews, each spoke highly of the other.

"I'm very thankful for all the experiences I've been through with Maddie," Settlage said. "Nothing will ever take away from all the things we accomplished together. I can't express how grateful I am, and I have no regrets at all. In the end, it was just a difference in training."

"A partnership is two people, and they have to get along and agree, and sometimes they don't always see eye to eye," Aaron said. "We're good friends, and we'll always remain so. Max and I respect each other so much, and I wish him the best in whatever he decides to do."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/08/03/193155062

Sending big hugs :ghug: and best wishes to both Maddie :luv17: and Max :luv17:.

And big thanks :bow: to both for giving us so much as partners.

ETA, the announcement from USFS has additional quotes from both Maddie and Max, such as this one from Maddie:

"... I am not closing the door on my skating career and I am open to more opportunities with a new partner. ...

http://usfigureskating.org/story?id=89869&type=media

I confess I'm pretty flabbergasted. Clearly something happened in the last three weeks to take them from happily discussing their new programs to breaking up right at the beginning of the season. I mean, I wish them both well, I do, but... right now I'm just pretty shocked.