Celebrate! Wagner's Silver Ends Drought | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Celebrate! Wagner's Silver Ends Drought

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think a 3Lz-3Lo would actually be more difficult than a 3Lz-3T, mainly because even the most skilled skaters can't seem to fully rotate the 3Lo in combination. Mao, Sarah Hughes and Irina all come to mind.

... Ok hardest that multiple senior ladies are actually trying. Not sure anyone has tried this yet, but i am sure if/when it happens pretty much everyone will agree it is harder.

So has anyone do this... now i want to see. I think there are some juniors that have been working on some 3Loop combos.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Most would likely agree the 3Z+3T is the "most difficult" for the ladies, but that does not mean it will be the highest scoring element.

As for the difference between a half and single loop. A "single loop" will take off and land on the same foot or to sound more technical the same backwards outside edge as the takeoff. A "half loop" lands on the opposite foot to the one they take off from. Since skaters go into a Salchow/flip from the half loop, it seems they land it on an inside edge of the opposite foot to take off - i have no knowledge as to the reason for this, if it is physics, a rule or a choice. Anyway, just look for if the jump lands on the same foot or the opposite foot it take off from, that should help.

After reading your post, I got up and started doing single loops in my living room (lmao, don't laugh too hard at me) and then attempted to do a half loop that lands on the same foot as the takeoff, and it wouldn't make any sense to launch into a salchow like that because you'd have to switch feet prior to starting the salchow. Trying to propel my foot into a mohawk or 3-turn to begin a salchow without that extra step makes it very difficult to get the power to rotate even a single, so I can imagine it wouldn't work too well doing a triple. So, while the half loop landed on the different foot is awkward looking, it would actually be more awkward to land it on the same foot.

God, I hope that made sense. :laugh:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
... Ok hardest that multiple senior ladies are actually trying. Not sure anyone has tried this yet, but i am sure if/when it happens pretty much everyone will agree it is harder.

So has anyone do this... now i want to see. I think there are some juniors that have been working on some 3Loop combos.

Yup. I agree with you, I was just rambling on and on in that post, haha. I think Mao still goes for the 3Lz-3Lo or 3F-3Lo but always gets dinged for it. Adelina used to as well. But you're right, I can't see it becoming mainstream where a bunch of senior ladies will be doing it.

Sorry. :hijacked: by my tangent. Back to Diva Wagner discussion!

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
After reading your post, I got up and started doing single loops in my living room (lmao, don't laugh too hard at me) and then attempted to do a half loop that lands on the same foot as the takeoff, and it wouldn't make any sense to launch into a salchow like that because you'd have to switch feet prior to starting the salchow. Trying to propel my foot into a mohawk or 3-turn to begin a salchow without that extra step makes it very difficult to get the power to rotate even a single, so I can imagine it wouldn't work too well doing a triple. So, while the half loop landed on the different foot is awkward looking, it would actually be more awkward to land it on the same foot.

God, I hope that made sense. :laugh:

I *think* doing the 3turn or mohawk in the middle would turn it into a sequence and not a combination. Some are awkward looking some I like. I think the main thing for me is how much the knees bend. Some almost look like they are intimating a flamingo then doing the same on the other leg right after. Others keep their legs straighter and seem to look better to me at least.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I just saw this recently. I had no idea this happened, this is pretty rude. Good on Ashley for smiling through it.
https://youtu.be/92E8CanG4DM?t=3m47s

I also heard that Anna did a happy dance when she saw Gracie did not do well. ( unsubstantiated rumor)
Not to get all down on Anna, but her behavior at the podium made my jaw drop. There is a thing called sports etiquette.

lyndichee

Medalist
I just saw this recently. I had no idea this happened, this is pretty rude. Good on Ashley for smiling through it.

I also heard that Anna did a happy dance when she saw Gracie did not do well. ( unsubstantiated rumor)
Not to get all down on Anna, but her behavior at the podium made my jaw drop. There is a thing called sports etiquette.

You're late to the party for sure and we shouldn't be making a bigger deal out of it. Anna just got caught up in the moment and she went and gave Ashley a huge hug during the press conference to make up for it.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I greatly admire Ashley and I kind of look up to her, which might be weird considering I'm older and chose very, very different career path. But that sheer determination and hard work which brought her success (and I would consider her succesful even without that medal) is something that makes me think more possitively about what I can accomplish in my own career. Ashley is a great skater, but for me, she's also wonderful rolemodel and that's what I love about her. I wish Ash lot of happiness and I hope she'll wow me with a lot more skates like this. Go Diva Wagner!

:agree::rock:

I love your words about how Ashley's story makes you think more positively about what you can accomplish in your career.

And yes, she is, was, would be successful even without the medal. With her reaction at the end of her skate, the crowd's reaction, and what she made me feel through the tube (!!!):love::love::love: ... the sheer beauty and power of her skate elevated us all. Sent everybody through the roof!

Her silver medal is so well deserved. Go Diva Wagner!

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Celebrating Ashley is also all about the kind of champion she is, and the kind of person she is. Check out this WSJ article if you haven't seen it ... the writer calls Ashley and Adam "U.S. skating's old timers" :laugh::cool:

Toward the end, we see the following quote from Ashley. The fact that she can think on her feet and come up with such ready, kind and encouraging words is, well, like ... totally awesome!:love::love::love:

But Wagner, who’s been in a four-year rivalry with her, said she would “never, ever count her out.”

“I think that Gracie is very tough on herself, and I can absolutely respect that because I know that she is a perfectionist and she expects herself to be superhuman 24/7,” Wagner said. “She is an athlete that totally deserves to be here…This is probably going to be very something good for her, and she’ll learn from it.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2016/...ets-for-success-endless-laps-around-the-rink/

sarama

Medalist
I will be forever grateful to Ashley for ending the stupid and insistent questions and discussions about this 'drought' :bow:....Now hopefully the media will be able to move on and talk about something more relevant.
I thought it was really funny when she talked about it herself, I was so sick of this topic, I can't even immagine what it must have been like for her

madibe

On the Ice
Chiming in to say that Ashley is the reason why I have continued to follow figure skating through the last four years. Beyond thrilled that she was able to add a world medal to her list of accomplishments in her career!

stella luna

Final Flight

Wow, they didn't like an American placing ahead of a Russian, did they? No easy guarantees for them like at the Sochi Olympics, where Yuna was robbed of the gold in favor of a home girl! Have a piece of the red, white and blue, girls, served by Ashley.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Sorry if I got a bit carried away, I thought the behavior on the dais was rude. I did get busted by the emoticon police for having too many Smiley Laughings.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Celebrating Ashley is also all about the kind of champion she is, and the kind of person she is. Check out this WSJ article if you haven't seen it ... the writer calls Ashley and Adam "U.S. skating's old timers" :laugh::cool:

Toward the end, we see the following quote from Ashley. The fact that she can think on her feet and come up with such ready, kind and encouraging words is, well, like ... totally awesome!:love::love::love:

But Wagner, who’s been in a four-year rivalry with her, said she would “never, ever count her out.”

“I think that Gracie is very tough on herself, and I can absolutely respect that because I know that she is a perfectionist and she expects herself to be superhuman 24/7,” Wagner said. “She is an athlete that totally deserves to be here…This is probably going to be very something good for her, and she’ll learn from it.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2016/...ets-for-success-endless-laps-around-the-rink/

I tell you what. Ashley is one smart young lady. I sure hope Gracie sends a her thank you card for having her back by making that comment. Gracie is still my number 1 gal but, BIG UPS to Diva Wagner..............:cheer2:

Oreo

On the Ice
That was my favorite part. He sort of kept punching her! I love him. Is the blond Woman with them Mrs. Raf? Her and Ashley seem to have a great rapport.

From where I was sitting in the arena I had a good view of Raf at the boards while Ashley was skating her FS. He was almost as much fun to watch as Ashley! He would sort of squat down at the boards so he was eye level with the top and focus in on some element she was doing. And then sometimes he would just pace around the back and not look at all, and then he would be back at the boards eyeing Ashley, and then he couldn't look. He was great! And at the end you could tell he was absolutely ecstatic.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Wow, they didn't like an American placing ahead of a Russian, did they? No easy guarantees for them like at the Sochi Olympics, where Yuna was robbed of the gold in favor of a home girl! Have a piece of the red, white and blue, girls, served by Ashley.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Sorry if I got a bit carried away, I thought the behavior on the dais was rude. I did get busted by the emoticon police for having too many Smiley Laughings.

I do think at this point this has already been over discussed but I think it's pretty obvious Anna just forgot to hug either Ashley or Evgenia. It's very clearly Evgenia who went in for the hug after Anna was already on the podium- Anna got on and faced straight ahead, and she was all smiles. I am quite sure the 'snub' wasn't intentional.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I do think at this point this has already been over discussed but I think it's pretty obvious Anna just forgot to hug either Ashley or Evgenia. It's very clearly Evgenia who went in for the hug after Anna was already on the podium- Anna got on and faced straight ahead, and she was all smiles. I am quite sure the 'snub' wasn't intentional.

Exactly. I think Anna was just happy to finally get two clean performances. The green room dancing....is not problematic exactly, but that green room in itself is problematic, voyeuristic in a way, getting these reaction shots to get the drama going. I think competitors always want to give their best in a competition. And if you give your best, and your competitor also gives their best you want to win on that same level, that means more. But Anna knew that she was out of the medals if Gracie skated clean. So yeah, maybe she saw Gracie's skate and forget that there are cameras there. She knew she had the medal and did her happy dance. Is that not human? It's a big deal for her who has always been treated as a second best, even in her own country. It probably wasn't very clever, but it's human and understandable.

For Ashley I think it was actually benificially to skate her SP in an earlier group, and then skate last with a program like Moulin Rouge. It really builds up and was the final highlight of the WC. I'm happy for her, she does deserve this. I'm glad a girl of the 'older' generation got on the podium this time, too. She is a real ladies skater.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I like how you said that. It happened to me last week sometime, mostly because the post I quoted already had a liberal number of emoticons, then I added some. Those E-Cops were stern when they busted me.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I was taken aback by Anna's behavior for a few seconds, then I realized that she probably just forgot, in the moment, whatever good sports etiquette she'd been taught. It would have been good if her coach had reminded her, because her behavior was rude and excluding. Anna kinda seemed like an early teen in that moment, a contrast since her skating seems mature.

Another great thing to celebrate about Ashley is that she smiled through it but also didn't call attention to it by her behavior. The lady is pure class!

Then, at the end of the press conference, Anna walked over to give Ashley a big hug, and Ashley hugged her right back.

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Last edited:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

As I said, I agree with your conclusion, tulosai.

But .... over discussed? I hadn't seen it discussed at all. Of course, I stopped reading many of the threads. I became discouraged and unhappy by the over-discussions of how Ashley didn't deserve her silver medal, it should have been a bronze or maybe she should have come in sixth, yada yada yada. Over and over again on many threads.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I tell you what. Ashley is one smart young lady. I sure hope Gracie sends a her thank you card for having her back by making that comment. Gracie is still my number 1 gal but, BIG UPS to Diva Wagner..............:cheer2:

:2thumbs: :agree: :2thumbs: :agree: :2thumbs:

Last edited:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From where I was sitting in the arena I had a good view of Raf at the boards while Ashley was skating her FS. He was almost as much fun to watch as Ashley! He would sort of squat down at the boards so he was eye level with the top and focus in on some element she was doing. And then sometimes he would just pace around the back and not look at all, and then he would be back at the boards eyeing Ashley, and then he couldn't look. He was great! And at the end you could tell he was absolutely ecstatic.

This is hilarious, and heartening. I feel like you've given me a good dose of the other side of the Rafael that Ashley loves. I've seen glimpses of him over the past months and years, plenty enough to see past the stoic, stern Russian he sometimes seems like.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Exactly. I think Anna was just happy to finally get two clean performances. The green room dancing....is not problematic exactly, but that green room in itself is problematic, voyeuristic in a way, getting these reaction shots to get the drama going.

I hate that green room thing. Johnny Weir said once last year (probably in a men's competition) that he thought it was awful to make the skaters publicly watch their competitors' skates, and I totally agree. Someone said a few days ago that it's probably inspired by the reality shows, and I went aha. It's no excuse, though. Figure skating has beaucoup de drama on its own. It doesn't need those cheap efforts.

For Ashley I think it was actually benificially to skate her SP in an earlier group, and then skate last with a program like Moulin Rouge. It really builds up and was the final highlight of the WC. I'm happy for her, she does deserve this. I'm glad a girl of the 'older' generation got on the podium this time, too. She is a real ladies skater.

You know, I was a little worrried when Ashley drew the last position for the FS. I couldn't recall seeing her skate that position, and I wasn't sure if it would make her more nervous. She was asked, on camera, if it made her nervous (the day of the skate!), and she said yes, because skating after all those great skaters would be really hard, but, "I'm up for the challenge."

It was a huge mental hurdle for her that when her mind came up with the question, could I get a medal here? as she skated out to center ice ... she blanked that thought out and focused in on performing her best. Especially since, as we know, the reason she had such trouble putting two clean skates together at a comp was exactly that.

I think it's called fear of success; and it is so inspiring to see someone who's had trouble with this, conquer it.

:cheer: :yahoo: :cheer: :yahoo: :cheer: :yahoo: :cheer: :yahoo: :cheer: