2015-16 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 97 | Golden Skate

2015-16 State of Russian Ladies skating

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
... (continued, previous page - Senior Girls preview)

JUNIOR GIRLS - age eligible for Junior Grand-Prix in season 2016-2017
Polina Tsurskaya - the 2016 Winter Youth Olympic champion, the 2015–16 JGP Final champion and the 2016 Russian Junior National champion
Alisa Fedichkina - Junior Grand Prix finalist(4th), small gold medal for the short program at the 2016 World Junior Championships, the 2016 Russian Junior National bronze medalist
Serafima Sakhanovich (I guess they keep her in Juniors/or Senior Bs only) - a two-time (2014, 2015) World Junior silver medalist, a two-time (2013–14, 2014–15) JGP Final silver medalist, and 2014 Russian junior national champion
Elizaveta Nugumanova (born 2002)
Anastassia Gubanova (born 2002)
Alisa Lozko (born 2002)
Sofia Samodurova (born 2002)
Anna Tarusina (born 2003)
Stanislava Konstantinova (born 2000, late bloomer)
Alina Zagitova (born 2002)
Ekaterina Mitrofanova (born 2002)
Ekaterina Kurakova (born 2002)
Anastassia Mukhortova (born 2003)

All girls have 3-3. Some of them did combos with 3L in their SP this season, which might be a problem next season due to 3L being an obligatory solo jump.
Otherwise, strong spins (esp. Lozko, Gubanova, Nugumanova, Mukhortova), decent SS, all triple jumps.

Who do you think will get 2 JGP assigments? Who will qualify to JGPF?
Who will win Russian Junior Nationals?
Will the unexpected girls pop up? Who might struggle?
Who are your favourites?

Last edited:

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
So, the State of Russian Ladies for 2016-2017 seems, as usually, very interesting:

Who do you think will dominate next season? Who will come back? Who will struggle?
What will be the Euro/Worlds team? Who will be crowned Russian Champion?
I can only see Evgenia continuing her dominance next season unless Liza regains her great form. My dream team for the Euros/Worlds will be composed of Liza, Evgenia and Maria, but it is very hard to predict who will win the National title now.

voolfee

On the Ice
Who do you think will get 2 JGP assigments? Who will qualify to JGPF?
Who will win Russian Junior Nationals?
Will the unexpected girls pop up? Who might struggle?
Who are your favourites?
I think Zagitova, Mitrofanova, Mukhortova and Kurakova didn't even qualify to closed skates where Russian fed will select skaters to the JGP. You forgote Panenkova and Gulyakova. They showed high level on their last competitions and have some shances to JGP :think::
Darya Panenkova (13 yo)
Anastasia Gulyakova (13 yo)

I think 2 JGP assigments will get Tsurskaya, Fedichkina, Gubanova, Nugumanova, Tarusina, Konstantinova, Lozko and Samodurova. I think Sakhanovich will go to seniors. My favorite girl is amazing Gubanova :luv17: and I want her to win Russian Junior Nationals next year.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
I think Zagitova, Mitrofanova, Mukhortova and Kurakova didn't even qualify to closed skates where Russian fed will select skaters to the JGP. You forgote Panenkova and Gulyakova. They showed high level on their last competitions and have some shances to JGP :think::
Darya Panenkova (13 yo)
Anastasia Gulyakova (13 yo)

I think 2 JGP assigments will get Tsurskaya, Fedichkina, Gubanova, Nugumanova, Tarusina, Konstantinova, Lozko and Samodurova. I think Sakhanovich will go to seniors. My favorite girl is amazing Gubanova :luv17: and I want her to win Russian Junior Nationals next year.
Yes, Panenkova and Gulyakova were surprises of the last couple of competitions.
Both jump multiple Rippon jumps.
I doubt though they get JGP assigments but you never know.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I hope that the next season the Fed will be much smarter in JGP than they were this season. Now that so many capable youngsters enter the scene there is no place for mistakes. I mean only those who have a convincing first event should be given a go for the second one. Otherwise, new girls should be given a chance. If Sima goes senior I would give the first GP to Tsurskaya and Konstantinova, the second one to Fedichkina and Lozko, and the third one to Gubanova and Nugumanova. Only those who make it (and here I mean podium or at least 170+ score) should be given the second chance. And the waiting list is Tarusina, Samodurova, Mitrofanova, Mukhortova, etc. Unfortunately, girls like Kayumova and Yuschenko seem to be gone although in other countries they would just have started their FS career. Russia is the toughest place in the world to be in the ladies' FS nowadays.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I want to see Taursina on the JGP! That girl has some awesome performance ability.

Country
Russia
I want to see Taursina on the JGP! That girl has some awesome performance ability.
Tarusina with her 2nd place at Final of Russian Cup, 2nd at Nationals Younger Age, 1st at Nationals Elder Age needs only to skate well at test skate to get two JGP events.

Good performace ability have also girls:
Gubanova - very good performance and jumps, if skates clean only Tsurskaya may compete, but unstable this season.
Mukhortova - very nice skating, excellent spins, but not so good jumps.
Shuboderova - very nice, but the only competition where she skated clean was Moscow open competition at April few days ago.
Vasilyeva - very good, but not age eligible (eligible to JGP-2017).

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
NOVICE GIRLS (not age eligible for JGP next season, but showing promise already)

Anna Sherbakova (born March 2004)
Viktoria Vasilyeva (born November 2003)
Aleksandra Trusova (born June 2004)
Yasmina Kadyrova (born December 2004)
Anastasia Tarakanova (born April 2004)

There are a lot more than that but these are the girls who caught my attention.
With such young girls, it can be super unpredictable. Some new stars may emerge out of nowhere.
Not able to watch all the local competition also, so if anyone has any other names, feel free to add :D

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Tarusina with her 2nd place at Final of Russian Cup, 2nd at Nationals Younger Age, 1st at Nationals Elder Age needs only to skate well at test skate to get two JGP events.

I don't think any of the girls should be given 2 JGP events per se based on test skates. Well, may be except for Tsurskaya if she fares well after the injury. I think they should put as many substitutes as possible to all later events and move to the second stage only those girls who showed promise to get into JGPF in the first event. If they fix 2 events based on prior results or test skates (which usually show nothing) they may fail to place th right bets. And with so many good girls a reasonable tactical approach should bring 4 at the minimum into the final. The only real threat so far is Honda. If (hopefully) nothing happens to her, I believe, she will get it into the final. As for ours:

Tsyrskaya - no comments
Fedichkina - was leading after SP in the Junior worlds
Konstantinova - she beat Fedichkina in Tallinn Trophy with 191
Lozko - already scored 181 internationally. If she builds 3-3 over the summer - she is surely the top contender with 185+ potential
Gubanova-Nugumanova - no comments: we were waiting for them
Tarusina - she has all the jumps and she was quite consistent this season. Also easily 180+ material.

Among those 7 I think we could easily have 5 finalists. Again to achieve that giving out spots should be smart and based on the first attempt. The juniors next season will be much stronger as a group. But to utilize their strength the Fed should make good decisions. Not like "we watch them in July and fix in advance who will have 2 spots for sure".

Last edited:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Adelinas SP was sure fun, but I don't get what about it was supposedly easy. Jumping content isn't choreography.

It's easy choreo because you don't have to present a story with different music and moods like her fs this year or Evgenia's LP, it is just a latin music.

Who are your favourites?

Liza Nugumanova is my everything, her artistry is already good but the posture is not as sloppy as Radionova or other russian kids, technically she is fine with almost every combo, and her spins are to die for.

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
It's easy choreo because you don't have to present a story with different music and moods like her fs this year or Evgenia's LP, it is just a latin music.

Are you serious? Have you ever tried skating at all? It is easy because "it is just Latin music???" Well, the tempo of that music leaves no room for a single tiny mistake. One mistake and the skater will be chasing after the music, being out of rhythm and all the interpretation will go downhill. Not to mention, one has to be a really confident skater to go for something like that because the skater actually needs to dance it; there is no chance of concentrating on technical elements because the skater have to 'let go' and dance. This type of program is as difficult as Evgenia's LP, and possibly even more because in Evgenia's program there may be a places where she has time to catch a breath. In Latin program there are no such places, the skater just moves throughout the program. The difference is like between sprint and long distance slower tempo run.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Are you serious? Have you ever tried skating at all? It is easy because "it is just Latin music???" Well, the tempo of that music leaves no room for a single tiny mistake. One mistake and the skater will be chasing after the music, being out of rhythm and all the interpretation will go downhill. Not to mention, one has to be a really confident skater to go for something like that because the skater actually needs to dance it; there is no chance of concentrating on technical elements because the skater have to 'let go' and dance. This type of program is as difficult as Evgenia's LP, and possibly even more because in Evgenia's program there may be a places where she has time to catch a breath. In Latin program there are no such places, the skater just moves throughout the program. The difference is like between sprint and long distance slower tempo run.

Well of course, but talking about Liza's potential, we saw that kind of programs in the past (11-12' programs), for her it is much easier a tango, or a latin music in general, than trying to sell something more deep like a story in a 4 minutes program.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
To me, it doesn't matter much what the story Liza's choreography is telling or not telling, or if she's doing something more dancey; it's a matter of having complex, top-level choreography that she's capable of executing alongside the jumps. Her programs this year were not good, but she was struggling so that's understandable. However, if you compare Liza's European Championships winning LP (that was her best performance of it) with Evgenia's LP, it becomes evident how empty Liza's program is. She's selling it to the audience very well, but none of her movements are particularly complex or difficult.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
To me, it doesn't matter much what the story Liza's choreography is telling or not telling, or if she's doing something more dancey; it's a matter of having complex, top-level choreography that she's capable of executing alongside the jumps. Her programs this year were not good, but she was struggling so that's understandable. However, if you compare Liza's European Championships winning LP (that was her best performance of it) with Evgenia's LP, it becomes evident how empty Liza's program is. She's selling it to the audience very well, but none of her movements are particularly complex or difficult.

Every move that Liza does needs more stretch and extension. Everything seems rushed, with bent arms and bent legs.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
You cannot make such comparison here. You know, it really broke my heart...:sad21:

Every move that Liza does needs more stretch and extension. Everything seems rushed, with bent arms and bent legs.
When she hits those big jumps, Liza's arms and legs look really graceful! :laugh: I think her posture on ice is fine.

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Didn't Liza once have Jeffrey Buttle and David Wilson as choreographers? Hmmm. Curiosity spiked. I'm going to have to YouTube those programs and see if there's a difference between them in comparison to her most current ones, because the last few years have been choreographically empty, as previously implied. God love the girl for her technical prowess, though.

Country
Russia
I meant solo jump, sorry xD

3 loop will be obligatory solo jump in Juniors SP for next season.
No serious problem.
All promising girls who pretend to JGP land all 5 triples and can learn 3Lz+3T or 3F+3T at summer, or at least 3T+3T.
Gubanova will have minor problem - she will alter her 3Lz+3Lo to 3Lz+3T with some loss in base value (0.8 if in first half of program, 0.88 if in second). 3Lz+3T is not a problem for her - her 3Lz+3T+2T in FS is very good.